Detailing From The Word Go

geoff-r

Right, I'm a bit new to proper detailing. I've cleaned cars before but there is another level to cleaning cars that I need to get into. I want to make sure my paint work is protected from the word go, I'm quite aware of the marks that can build up on cars.

I've just been having a quick look at the Dodo Juice range and for a basic detail it would seem that I need to get some pH neutralizing shampoo, something like the lime juice one Dodo Juice do, then the car needs to be waxed (again going on the Dodo Juice range) I'd need something like the Blue Velvet as my car is black. Finally I'd need to finish it off with a hardener, something like Red Mist.

Can anyone advise me on products to carry out this sort of 'detail' as it were? My main aim is to reduce swirls and to keep the paint looking fresh. I've put off polisihing/waxing my car yet until I'm sure of the products I need.

You have the wax spot on, the blue velvet is very good. With the red mist you have a winning combo. Supernaturla is better than the blue velvet but is quite expensive so its down to how serious you want to get.

The bucket with grit guards is a cheap but essential bit of kit to stop you causing any unwanted damage. :)

How many miles does it have on it Geoff? You are very much on track with what you plan to do.

If its brand spanking new, then a quick wash, polish with Lime Prime, followed by some Dodo Supernatural and a day later some Red Mist. If it has a few miles on it, then I'd suggest claying it before polishing it.

May be expensive for the Supernatural but lasts well. My last application was 3 weeks ago, and the wax has maintained a great shine.

Funny thing is I used Autoglym High Gloss stuff on one side of the car and then used Supernatural on the other side and both have last well. If you want a simple application Autoglym wins for me, although it does feel satisfying applying the supernatural!!

Great info guys, cheers.

Martin, what is this bucket you speak of? Sounds like the cure to everyone's problems! I thoroughly wash my buckets out each time I use them but what you mention sounds better. It's the black paint that gets me worried, this being my third black car is the space of a year I know all too well how much they mark and how easily.

Chris, it's got just shy of 250 miles on it now so I want to make sure it's protected now to reduce damage from the elements.

Wasso, I'll check out the supernatural, cheers.

Out of interest how big are the 30ml pots? Are they literally enough for one car or what?

Ni there, what you need is two buckets with grit guards, a decent wash mitt, such as the dodo short hair wookie, a jetwasher is essential too, then buy some dodo born to be mild shampoo, I would clay it even if is new, as you don't want any contaminants under the wax,

I do have a few guides which I can post up explaining the two bucket method, claying etc etc, which I'll do later.

The supernatural large pot should see you through the year, so its not that bad.

Check out one of the detailers web pages for the buckets mat, you should be using two buckets too.

I found out all this stuff after struggling with a black car for a while. I am now plating catch up.

There is a cracking post in the detailing section ( I think) with a full run down of the processes, well worth a good read. :)

I've just put my name down for the lance and snow foam group buy, been meaning to get one for years.

If you have a pressure washer then it would be a good investment, removes most of the muck before you can grind it into the paint. A must for black cars.

Have a search on detailingworld, almost too much info.

Out of interest how big are the 30ml pots? Are they literally enough for one car or what?

I manager to squeeze one application out of half a 30ml pot. If it last a few months its money well spent. Its the best combo I have tried so far on my black zed, supernatural and red mist :thumbs:

A pot of Dodo SN will last you years. I have had a pot for 18+ months and only used half of it, and thats waxing my car, the missus and the old dears with it too! It lasts aaaaaages! You have to put it on really thin, remember anythin you buff off is wasted ;)

Before any polishing I would recommend claying no matter how old the car is. All you need to do is trap ingrained dirt into the polish and all you are doing is moving it around the paint.

The basic principle of detailing is to strip existing protection (concentrated shampoo wash), remove anything contaminating the surface (clay bar), remove any scratches or swirls (polishing), fill or flatten the 'holes' from removing the contaminants (sp) (top polish / glazing), and to then protect the newly cleaned surface (sealant or hard wax). Then finally (or some do it as part of the protection) add a wax for a finish. Once this is done, the maintenance is about not letting anything get too permanently stuck into the paint with a regular clean (two bucket method, mild wash formula, minimum contact drying) and top up of the wax to finish.

There are all sorts of products out there. Dodo Juice seems to be the in thing at the moment (bit like Megs was a little while ago) and there are loads of others. Good quality detailing gear also comes under the names:- Chemical Guys, Zaino, Poorboys, Collinite etc. (others will have other names to hand!)

Pick a product for each of the stages, try it, see if you like it :)

Ok, Here is what I'd use.

I use it on my own car and have used it on a number of dark / black cars

wash

clay

polish

then

Black_Hole.jpg

Poorboys black hole glaze. This is a glaze with fillers. It fills small swirls etc and really adds to the finish

then

blackfire-all-finish-paint-protection-lg.jpg

an absolute must. Leaves the car looking dripping wet. I cannot express how much I like this product! It's a sealant.

Then wax.

You're car will be looking better than showroom fresh!

finally someone else who uses black hole :lol:

Black hole is the bomb! :thumbs:

Jasons black Zed doing what I suggested above.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=35275

A couple of pics including my Dads (now sold) mega swirly Rangie. He kept it for a good 8 month longer than he was going to due to me making it look good. This was mostly down to black hole if I'm honest! :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=26114

dont use the dodo juice lube! its cack! i used the autoglym clay kit and that worked well

Works fine for me :)

i hated it, dries out too quick and doesnt spray well enough, i gave up halfway through and made some out of some old halfords shampoo i had lying around :thumbs:

dont use the dodo juice lube! its cack! i used the autoglym clay kit and that worked well

Works fine for me :)

i hated it, dries out too quick and doesnt spray well enough, i gave up halfway through and made some out of some old halfords shampoo i had lying around :thumbs:

Works fine for me too. I find shampoo tends to foam up too much. Born Slippy works fine for me, the same as Megs QD :shrug:

Sonus green,with last touch as lube. :thumbs:

Sonus Green clay for me too, with a mix of QD+ and water for a lube.

And for a light car, in place of the Black Hole glaze if you have a lighter car then Poorboys White Diamond glaze is the one. :)