Remapping and raising the limits?

GhostyDog

Hi,

Read somewhere that the 350z is restricted in the first 3 gears, does a remap lift this restriction? what are the reasons behind the restriction is it fundamentally for better dynamics or a throwback from the JDM market or can the components not take the power and torque at higher rpms resulting in gearbox failure? If the latter what upgrades are available to rectify any inherent weaknesses?

When I get mine I was hoping to get it tuned to get the 0-60 somewhere closer to 5 seconds as the GTAs stock have been consistantly run at around 5.5 on a Racelogic V-Box.

Any advice welcomed :)

Cheers

Sean

A re-map or a throttle controller will sort the problem out. The car can take upto 400bhp on standard internals so no need to worry about that when just opening up the throttle. I have had a re-map done and it makes a hell of a difference to the drive. Not sure of the reason behind the restriction, maybe Nissan think we all can't drive!! :lol:

The gearbox does NOT like to be geared from 1st to 2nd at high RPM's... and not sure it'll hold either. I'll see if I can get a clip showing a dude wrecking his gearbox going from 1st to 2nd. :dry:

Interesting, so how do they cope with being converted to forced induction? or having the throttle limiter removed?

Guess they don't do drag racing on the std box then?

I haven't yet heard of gearbox failure, is it in the states that the box was wrecked by any chance ;)

The gearbox does NOT like to be geared from 1st to 2nd at high RPM's... and not sure it'll hold either. I'll see if I can get a clip showing a dude wrecking his gearbox going from 1st to 2nd. :dry:

Interesting, so how do they cope with being converted to forced induction? or having the throttle limiter removed?

Guess they don't do drag racing on the std box then?

I haven't yet heard of gearbox failure, is it in the states that the box was wrecked by any chance ;)

You implying that they dont know how to shift? We're talking standard clutch / flywheel here so anyone going to FI would upgrade at least the clutch to a nicer gearbox engaging friendly one ;)

The only vid I've really seen with gearbox failure is a t1t with 600bhp changing gears like it's rally spec'd gearbox. It will defo be fine with the 100% throttle. Plenty have it done in here

The only vid I've really seen with gearbox failure is a t1t with 600bhp changing gears like it's rally spec'd gearbox. It will defo be fine with the 100% throttle. Plenty have it done in here

:wacko: if you gear from 1st to 2nd gearing with banging style clutching you'll wreck the gearbox...

I agree but the 100% throttle won't make a difference to the way you change gears. I do agree that the box won't hold up to abuse, I think the clutch will give up first. There is issues know about 1st to 2nd especially when cold. :thumbs:

I agree but the 100% throttle won't make a difference to the way you change gears. I do agree that the box won't hold up to abuse, I think the clutch will give up first. There is issues know about 1st to 2nd especially when cold. :thumbs:

I never rev full on first and throw in second...I instead drive of a bit in 1st and then throw in the second and then wohooaaa! Also trying not to hit the limiter... finding that a bit harder... sounds lovely :blush:

I never rev full on first and throw in second...I instead drive of a bit in 1st and then throw in the second and then wohooaaa! Also trying not to hit the limiter... finding that a bit harder... sounds lovely :blush:

+1 on that :thumbs:

I find that around the 6000rpm mark is the best place to shift when driving spiritedly, taking it any further results in a clunky shift.

I don't think the up-rev will affect this though, you are more talking about abusing the car between 1st and 2nd gear. This would probably be better question to ask Mark @ Abbey for the answer. I am pretty sure Nurrish didn't upgrade his clutch or fly wheel but I may be wrong. :thumbs:

I don't think the up-rev will affect this though, you are more talking about abusing the car between 1st and 2nd gear. This would probably be better question to ask Mark @ Abbey for the answer. I am pretty sure Nurrish didn't upgrade his clutch or fly wheel but I may be wrong. :thumbs:

no he didnt upgrade his clutch or fly but dont think he did full WOT from 1st to 2nd either...

Lots of reasons on why the car is "throttled" is back to the emmissions and the JDM market.

One of the best things I use my dyno sheets is knowing where the power band is...

And remap can make a big difference on the way the car drives!

if you gear from 1st to 2nd gearing with banging style clutching you'll wreck the gearbox...

:surrender: I didn't know this.... I've noticed that from first to second at 6500 would give me the clunky shift, but when I do a stand still start the revs go up so quickly that I miss the 6k rpm :wacko:

Lots to learn............

if you gear from 1st to 2nd gearing with banging style clutching you'll wreck the gearbox...

:surrender: I didn't know this.... I've noticed that from first to second at 6500 would give me the clunky shift, but when I do a stand still start the revs go up so quickly that I miss the 6k rpm :wacko:

give us your reg plate so I know not to buy your car :thumbdown:

lesson one: dont kill the car in first ;)

Thanks for all the replies folks.

I do tend to go through gearboxes (3 in my last 2 cars) I don't 'bang' but I do have a sharp shift, good to know that 1st to second needs to be nursed a little through the gate to increase the longevity of the box. :)

Has anybody on here had their car on a vbox or similar timing system after a remap to see what the real world gains are? Not just in launch but also midrange?

Cheers

Sean

Since my re-map I now have WOT in all gears. The limiter has been increased to 7,200 - and since installing the NOS I still give it beans to 6,500 and change prior to 7,000. I've never really found 1st to 2nd a major issue, you've just got to make sure you press the clutch down, as when you drive with a heavy right foot you tend to depress the clutch less to try and get that quicker gear shift. Just make sure you press the clutch down far enough to avoid any grinding or crunching of the gears.

I also find that if when applying 2nd gear you are at 4k revs, 2nd gear just slots in perfect!

I also will be looking at a clutch soon as I have recently hit 40k miles on the clock so I am expecting a failure or wearing at some point soon.

:wacko: if you gear from 1st to 2nd gearing with banging style clutching you'll wreck the gearbox...

Ahhh! so you do mean US style shifting ;):lol:

All this talk about weak gearboxes was starting to worry me as i tend to do lazy U turns, IE spin the rear wheel's up.

Ahhh! so you do mean US style shifting ;):lol:

All this talk about weak gearboxes was starting to worry me as i tend to do lazy U turns, IE spin the rear wheel's up.

:teeth: that is not good for tyres either... or diff ;):lol:

So has anybody read data from the throttle position sensor in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th - before and after Uprev? Other than myself that is? I found I was getting wide open throttle in all gears, both before and after. A 1500kg car doesn't get to 60mph in 6 seconds with limited throttle.

Not disrespecting Uprev, it makes a good improvement to performance, I'd recommend it to anyone, but the throttle isn't limited as everyone seems to believe.