This afternoon did not turn out as planned.

ZMANALEX

Well, set about the weekly after and pre track check with the intentions of the usual checks plus brake pad replacement all round.

Turned out that I required a bit more as the n/s/r inner drive shaft boot had disintegrated and the inner cv joint was shot.

So a new complete drive shaft was the order of the day complete with a new bearing assembly.

Not a huge job labour wise but the parts are not cheap, luckily I had all in stock. :)

Just goes to show that no matter how well you maintain your car there is always the stuff that you do not legislate for.

DSCF2554.jpg

DSCF2555.jpg

DSCF2556.jpg

DSCF2559.jpg

Does this mean you are coming to play on friday?

ahh well without jobs like that on your car, you'd be bored.

Hi Adam,

Only coming out to play if your girlfriend is off the leash :thumbs:

Not signed up for Tuts as yet, as Friday is manic here but never say never.

Also I have Track Scotland on the Saturday.

Would be good to hook up, it has been to long.

drivingskid.gifdrivingskid.gifdrivingskid.gifdrivingskid.gif

Surprised it wasn't just a blob of melted metal with the power you put through it! :p

It would have been exactly that if I had not spotted it, in fact it probably would have thrown the shaft within a few laps with disastrous results :scare: but hey ho we live to tell the tale.

Hi Adam,

Only coming out to play if your girlfriend is off the leash :thumbs:

Not signed up for Tuts as yet, as Friday is manic here but never say never.

Also I have Track Scotland on the Saturday.

Would be good to hook up, it has been to long.

drivingskid.gifdrivingskid.gifdrivingskid.gifdrivingskid.gif

Well hopefully we will see you then, Kat will be there ready to go out pax!

We will be up north on the saturday so track scotland will be quite quiet without the SE'rs.

You've got my number give me a text if your likely to be going!

Surprised it wasn't just a blob of melted metal with the power you put through it! :p

It would have been exactly that if I had not spotted it, in fact it probably would have thrown the shaft within a few laps with disastrous results :scare: but hey ho we live to tell the tale.

Is this the first change you done since tracking the car or rather since you went big on power? :teeth:

Would you be able to hear or feel any progressive changes if the shaft was on its way out or is it a case of sudden let go :scare: i am already having cold sweats at this thought :surrender:

When you do your checks do you take all the wheels out and check the whole shafts, brakes, suspension component, undercar area and the usual engine checks?

Is this the first change you done since tracking the car or rather since you went big on power? :teeth:

Would you be able to hear or feel any progressive changes if the shaft was on its way out or is it a case of sudden let go :scare: i am already having cold sweats at this thought :surrender:

When you do your checks do you take all the wheels out and check the whole shafts, brakes, suspension component, undercar area and the usual engine checks?

Hi Bennet,

Yip, retained the OEM shafts as I felt that there was no need to upgrade even with running 600bhp.

There were no evident pregressive changes and the car is so loud that no "clicky" noises could be heard.

I had the failure only because the boot split and disintigrated resulting in total loss of cv joint grease.

Yes, a full and proper after and pre track check is carried out once or twice per week consisting of all you list and much, much more which usually takes around 4 hours plus any remedial work.

All fluids (except coolant) are changed on a regular 4 week cycle and brake pads are removed and inspected weekly. Nothing is left to chance but nowt you can do to avoid a rubber boot splitting. These boots are tuff so I suspect that it may have come into contact with some track debris.

Running FI weekly on track is very high maintenance but if you can keep on top of it you will reap what you sow.

I have been running FI since 2005 on this current Zed and have had no serious mishaps even though I track every week. The secret is in the build and the mapping and a very regular, strict, extreme, maintenance schedule. ;)

Thank you so much for this info Alex :thumbs:

I can breathe a bit easier now. I donot do any Uk trackday anymore (actually since i got into zed ownership) as i put everything into my Ring trips but i've been planning to use Bedford autodrome as a shakedown to get me retuned in and pick up on any issues before going to Nurburg as i realised i've been lucky sofar with no mechanical failures.

I would have to be more thorough with my checks ;)

You make "maintenance and repair" work so simple.

Very envious of your skills :p

Alex have been around for some time and his car is :scare::scare: so fast :teeth:

I wish he was more centrally located so I could take a good look at his car and take mine to him for those little special tweaks :D:D