Rubbish brakes

SteveW

yesterdayi paid a little visit to an open pit laned mallory parK racetrack.

I had an awesome day and the zed was brilliant on track all except for the brakes which just felt terrible the whole time! I wouldn't say I was 100% confident in the braking performance. The brakes never seemed to develop or have an aggresive bite and flying down to gerrards at 120 was sometimes a bit worrying!

I'm running yellow stuffs, turbogrooves and motul rbf 600. Is this problem likely to be a pad issue? I.e I need better ones like 2500's? The brake pedal pumps up rock solid which suggests no fluid issues.

Any suggestions appreciated

cheers

steve

I take it you followed the correct braking in procedure to get a nice film of pad transfer on the discs? Never really rated EBC pads for track work, but then again I've never used them. I ran DS2500 on my 350z and they were very good pads. Maybe you need better ones. Theres a lot of track gurus on here, sure they will chip in soon :thumbs:

This takes me back to a post I made about not to run Yellowstuff with discs that have grooves and that they are intended to be run with solid type discs.

:lol::lol: subtle

+1 :lol: I want an official statement from EBC - I dont beleive you :p:lol:

as mentioned the brake lines could help you

I can get you HEL or MU lines

a really decent pad setup for track would make a change too. dixcel R pads, or a few different types of MU pads could suite your needs

PM me if you need a hand

This takes me back to a post I made about not to run Yellowstuff with discs that have grooves and that they are intended to be run with solid type discs.

Can you run redstuff with grooved discs bm?

Can you run redstuff with grooved discs bm?

all EBC "Stuff" pads should be used with flat discs.

you can use them with drilled and grooved discs but i think that their life span and effectiveness is not as good as it could be with a flat disc.

Hi Bullet, I must have missed that post, I don't recall it anyway but my memory is not the best!

I've had a look around the EBC site and can find no information saying stuff pads shouldn't be used with grooved discs, as such I have sent EBC and email. See if I get a response, I didn't last time I contacted them!

I am intending on getting some braided lines before my Nurburgirng trip in August / Spetember and I will change the pads before then as it seems most people think this is the root cause of my issues.

Currently I have been given options of:

Ferrodo DS2500's

Dixcel R's

Performance Friction 01's

Mu Pads

I'll have a look on the various websites and see if I can work out which are best for 2/3/4 trackdays per year.

Thanks

Steve

Currently I have been given options of:

Ferrodo DS2500's

Dixcel R's

Performance Friction 01's

Mu Pads

Just be aware that you can only use the Dixel pads with Dixel discs, so if you want to use them (and I've only ever heard good things about Dixel) then you'll need to replace your discs and pads.

Right have done some reserach an dfound teh following:

Ferrodo DS2500's have a coefficient of friction (Mu) of 0.42 throughtout the temperature range

EBC Yellowstuffs have a coefficient of friction (Mu) of:

0.5 when cold

0.31 up to 550 celsius

0.21 up to 800 celsius

And Project Mu pads:

"LEVEL MAX 500" (Oct/2006)

>> Material: Carbon metal, Temp: 0~500C, Friction: 0.41~0.47mu

"LEVEL MAX 700" (Oct/2006)

>> Material: Carbon metal, Temp: 50~700C, Friction: 0.43~0.51mu

"LEVEL MAX 900i" Renewal. (Oct/2006) 

>> Material: Carbon metal, Temp: 100~900C, Friction: 0.45~0.60mu

Couldn't find the info for the P 01 compound. Does anyone have this information?

This explains why as my yellowstuffs were getting hotter and hotter on Saturday I was having to brake earlier and earlier and why it felt like they were fading.

Just be aware that you can only use the Dixel pads with Dixel discs, so if you want to use them (and I've only ever heard good things about Dixel) then you'll need to replace your discs and pads.

Thanks for that introspect,I didn't know that, so that invalidates the Dixcel R's on that basis. I don't do enough trackdays to justify replacing the discs until they are toast and they have only done 5K miles now.

Cheers

Steve