Motorway bend - bit annoyed

Demolition49

Demolition49: I have EXACTLY the same problem. I have PS2's on the front and Falkens on the rear.

Let me guess, you find the back end very twitchy? It's because the Michelins have far more grip in all conditions than the Falkens. Get some PS2s to match on the back, you'll really notice a huge difference.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Demolition49: I have EXACTLY the same problem. I have PS2's on the front and Falkens on the rear.

Let me guess, you find the back end very twitchy? It's because the Michelins have far more grip in all conditions than the Falkens. Get some PS2s to match on the back, you'll really notice a huge difference.

Yeah, i knew this would be the case when i bought them. I had to do it just after mas and i just did not have the money to spend so i had to go for the falkens. I will be back to the michelins very soon tho. The diffrence really is amazing.

Sorry, I can't see how different tyres makes (front to rear) would cause such an reaction from the traction control. Accelerating, braking, turning, road surface, tyre pressures...does anyone really think that the load and grip provided by 4 identical tyres would be equal?

If you've got the car on the limit then yes, eventually one tyre will be the first to give but it doesn’t sound like the car is on the limit in this particular case.

I totally concur with Dan’s comments on a mixed axle set up.

I had the same problem with my 350z when I bought it. The dealer ‘kindly’ agreed to replace the rear tyres (the front Bridgestones were fine) but they fitted a pair of Avon Z33's to rear.

The car was a death trap, simple as that. The first time I drove the car out in the wet I found myself correcting a slide at less than 40mph on a closed throttle i.e. total loss of mechanical grip, not oversteer. I am talking about turn in a 40mph street not here, not throwing the car into a T-junction or a 90 degree bend.

I replaced all four tyres immediately and although the Falkens are not perfect they’re leagues ahead of a mixed set up.

I had the same problem with my 350z when I bought it. The dealer ‘kindly’ agreed to replace the rear tyres (the front Bridgestones were fine) but they fitted a pair of Avon Z33's to rear.

The car was a death trap, simple as that. The first time I drove the car out in the wet I found myself correcting a slide at less than 40mph on a closed throttle i.e. total loss of mechanical grip, not oversteer. I am talking about turn in a 40mph street not here, not throwing the car into a T-junction or a 90 degree bend.

I replaced all four tyres immediately and although the Falkens are not perfect they’re leagues ahead of a mixed set up.

So both you and Demo49 have(had) the Avon Z33's on the rear with Stones on the front and both getting similar problems - think that says it all........

Worrying :scare:

I shall get the falkens ordered up today! Unless sombody thinks its not the tyres?

Im a bit peed off by this, the dealer has actually created more hassle for me than i needed but oh well cant wait to get the falkens on now and thats another 450 down the drain :clap::bang:

Hi Colin, yes I had exactly the same set up as the OP. The front was glued to the road but the rear was extremely unpredictable. There was no progression at all, just a sudden and total loss of grip under no acceleration.

The 350z was my first RWD car and I had read about the ‘lively rear’ so I initially put this down to my lack of my experience / the new car. Incidents such as the above made it apparent that new tyres were needed.

Go a for a new set of new boots mate. A few hundred quid now is far better than ending up in an armco or a ditch.

Matt.

As i said before (though no-one seems to have seen it lol) I have the Avon ZZ3's all round and am experiencing no problems - i dont think the Avons are to blame but more, as others have said, the combo of the two different sets......

So unless someone has something particually (Sp??!!) bad to say about the Avons i would probably just match the fronts to the rears. But as i say i am no expert, nor am i claiming the Avons are a super tyre - just that i am happy with mine and havn't experienced the issues you have raised whilst using them.

Jak

It's up to you at the end of the day mate, just thought i'd make the case for the avons as i have found them to be fine - that said the Falkens would seem to be a safe bet as they are often rated well on here.....

It's up to you at the end of the day mate, just thought i'd make the case for the avons as i have found them to be fine - that said the Falkens would seem to be a safe bet as they are often rated well on here.....

Your probably right but i think because of my bad experience with them im going to ditch the avons and go all round falken 452's in the long rong they are also cheaper to replace when the rears run out of rubber.

So look out for some avon z33 rears basically brand new if your interested!

I have had similar problem when i was going round a tight and sharp bent, was only doing 30mph and the TC kicks in. My bridgestone RE040 fronts are near the legal limits. Have just bought a set of 4 falken 452 from Camskill for just over £400 delivered. After reading lots of post here on mixing tyres, i have decided to change the rear as well to Falken even though there is still some life left in them. It's money or my safety and i chose the former. If u want the Falken 452, i would put in an order sooner rather than later as they sell very quickly. I have to wait for a pair of 245/45/R18 for couple of weeks as Camskill has run out of them. It's in the stock again. My tyres should hopefully be here tomorrow :#1:

Demolition, don't think of it as being money down the drain, it's money invested in keeping your and your Zed stuck to the road & thusly keeping your insurance claims and premiums lower. Far more important. Good tyres, brakes, suspension, before superficial mods in my book.

Tyres make a massive difference, as soon as you have a matching set all the way around, you should notice the change.

Spoke to a guy today who said all you guys are talking @*!# and are extremeists talking about the nth degree... apparently the car should be fine?

What can i say to this?

And how can a little bit of rubber mean the car goes wobbly around a motorway bend at 60 that is a bit odd... surely if i switch to falkens they wont enable me to go 120 around the corner?!

Spoke to a guy today who said all you guys are talking @*!# and are extremeists talking about the nth degree... apparently the car should be fine?

What can i say to this?

And how can a little bit of rubber mean the car goes wobbly around a motorway bend at 60 that is a bit odd... surely if i switch to falkens they wont enable me to go 120 around the corner?!

who is the genius who told you that, local kwik-fit man? :lol:

What can i say to this?

We have enough folk on here who have had the same problem, followed the advice and then had no problems to know it works. We're not physicists talking about theory here.

surely if i switch to falkens they wont enable me to go 120 around the corner?!

I'm hoping that's a rhetorical question...