Brakes for track..

andlid

... The trackign Idid was 60s laps with pretty lots of cornering so the discs/pads/calipers only got a few straights to 'cool' down... crazy really..

So how many times did you pit to let your brakes cool down within the 60 laps that you did?

... The trackign Idid was 60s laps with pretty lots of cornering so the discs/pads/calipers only got a few straights to 'cool' down... crazy really..

So how many times did you pit to let your brakes cool down within the 60 laps that you did?

each lap was a bout 60seconds long to 1min 10s ... ;) I did about 4-5 laps and then ran 1-2 cool down laps with very little braking... the brakes started to fade after the 1st real lap (after warmup lap) and never performed well really but worse as it progressed. I'll stick up a clip on a 'normal' lap that I did.

I will be in the same position as you shortly, my plan is to stick with the standard Brembo's for now, get the Performance Friction rotors, Ferrodo DS2500 pads, Goodridge lines, Improved brake fluid, and titanium shims which get a lot of stick from armchair scientists but if you check a few racing forums you will see that the proof is in the pudding and in practice the shims work well :)

The above set up is considerably cheaper than going BBK, and should fulfil my need's. Don't take for granted that you have Brembo's, their still amazing brakes!

The above mentioned gear i'll be getting from Alex, as I've been to his place and seen the quality of the products, top notch :thumbs:

each lap was a bout 60seconds long to 1min 10s ... ;) I did about 4-5 laps and then ran 1-2 cool down laps with very little braking... the brakes started to fade after the 1st real lap (after warmup lap) and never performed well really but worse as it progressed. I'll stick up a clip on a 'normal' lap that I did.

You have really answered youir own question here.

Even with a proven set up you require warm up, cool down and some pit time out.

You say 60 laps in a 1 hr track session, I would be looking at 3 sessions of say 10 laps and 3 x 10 min. pit stops between each track session.

My numerous pms to you, explains fully my thoughts on how to improve your brake set up and how to get quality and enjoyable track time.

Have a read at the post put up by Maz0, he has the right idea. ;)

Alex. :)

You've got the 60 laps arseways I stated 60 s to 1min 10 sec times per lap and the post above stated 5-6 full on laps with warm-up and cool down followed with pitstop for a good while until the car cooled down. will check that post if I can fond it on the phone. trust me I understand what you're getting at. :-) and its appreciative that you aid.

a

Example

4-5 laps like this and then cool down lap and pitstop, would that setup be ok?

Bleurgh chase cam always makes me wanna :yuck:

Looks fun ;) Like I said defo reckon Brembo and uprated rest of kit will be grand for your purposes :thumbs: ....and I can see Mr T is already taking care of you :lol:

i quite like the ap's but maybe overkill for trackdays :shrug:

the other issue is that if your car has no additional cooling then you probably dont want to be doing very long sessions regardless of brakes, oil temps can get high :thumbs:

A very important point Steve :thumbs: I have been taking chances without having an oil cooler and even bigger sump :surrender: because i folishly relied on water temps until i was shocked to see what temps you oil can get to after a good work out!

Way to go Anders nice laps....short and sweet :thumbs: Next time front views with onboard shorts.

You will be fine with uprated brembo setup but if you got the performance friction rotor a would get also get their 01 race pads which outclass DS 2500.

Example

4-5 laps like this and then cool down lap and pitstop, would that setup be ok?

Bleurgh chase cam always makes me wanna :yuck:

Looks fun ;) Like I said defo reckon Brembo and uprated rest of kit will be grand for your purposes :thumbs: ....and I can see Mr T is already taking care of you :lol:

Was great craic only downside was wheels and brakes really, the engine performed flawlessly and so did the gearbox, clutch and so forth! I've got full inside cam view and roof cam view if you prefer ;)

the other issue is that if your car has no additional cooling then you probably dont want to be doing very long sessions regardless of brakes, oil temps can get high :thumbs:

Explain further Steve! What do u think instead of the AP's? I was thinking on making my own cooling ducts to the brakes too... what type of sessions would I keep myself to not to fry fries with the engine oil?

A very important point Steve :thumbs: I have been taking chances without having an oil cooler and even bigger sump :surrender: because i folishly relied on water temps until i was shocked to see what temps you oil can get to after a good work out!

Way to go Anders nice laps....short and sweet :thumbs: Next time front views with onboard shorts.

You will be fine with uprated brembo setup but if you got the performance friction rotor a would get also get their 01 race pads which outclass DS 2500.

Hmm so oilcooler and bigger sump... :blush: typicall it's the same as the bike... money pit! :lol:

While we're at the oil Q what oil should I be using on track? I've seen some other tuners selling something like 10w60... (not sure about the lower grade)...

Thanks for the lap comment, would been better with better wheels and brakes... deffo on the brakes part ;) Btw, using the JDM org suspesion seems to be pretty good only that a couple of time it kind leaned down and jerked a bit (jumped) felt a bit like it rebounded on me... think it was since I wasn't that smooth a couple of times :evil:

:drunk:

Have plenty of inside video and roof video, love e'm 10£ cams!

(have a few funny clips, one is when I get overtaken by a time attack car with 900hp...)

The ap's are what RJN use in the GT4 euro champs, so to say there strong is an understatement, without an oil cooler its difficult to say how long, i used to do ten minute sessions and then a nice cool down, with 20 minute races we do there is no need for brake ducts, they will just slow you down by disrupting the air, however if we go and play in britcar this year then we will fit some brake ducts.

Abbey have some decent oil cooler kits for the zed if your interested :)

Yes anders more pics please ;)

WRT oil any fully synthetic 5w30 or 5/40 is more than adequate for trackday use. The important bit is to try and preserve the longevity or rather maintain the quality of the oil so it performs optimally by enhancing cooling, hence why an oil cooler kit and extra sump volumes are highly recommended for tracking/racing. Also frequent oil service keeps it fresh. I do a DIY oil service every 4500 miles which is just an extra oil service between scheduled P service. ;)

AP racing 6/4pot (362mm/330mm rotors) kit with Pagid RS29 yellows are a marriage made in heaven but too expensive hence i went with Ksport. Not sure if Pagid do this for OEM brembos if so they will be the ones to get or the PF 01pads.

I tried to get prices for the RJN brake duct cooling kit but they were so busy preparing for the 24 nurburgring race that i got fed up chasing them :surrender: But to be honest i can do without them as Steve pointed out too B)