Ah Ha found the issue - thought I was going mad!!

Guys are you aware that when you're viewing the site on smaller screens i.e laptops the 'X New Messages' Disappears when you have it on anything less than maximised.

When minimised almost slightly

PrivateMsg1.jpg

After - When maximised

WithMessages.jpg

Just weird as none of the other buttons seem to be affected. I could never work out why somedays I could access private messages and other day couldnt!

• 3 weeks later...

Has been reported before, but most of us are unable to replicate it which means debugging it is very difficult. I have 3 laptops in the house, a netbook and my iphone and all display fine on IE8 and FF (and Safari for iPhone) on any window size (not tried different resolutions). Its obviously a certain screen res combined with IE that causes it.

What res are you running Dan? Maybe we can replicate it using the same res as you :thumbs:

EDIT: Scrap that, can replicate it on my netbook, will have a look as to what causes it when I get a chance :thumbs:

My Blackberry also does it ...

I've had to bookmark the link to the messages page otherwise I can't read my PM's

Do you know what screen resolution it runs?

Unfortunately, most sites are designed for a minimum of 1024x768, and its below this size that I have noticed the problem. I fear with these smaller devices, we are in resolutions lower than the theme was ever designed for :headhurt:

Easy to replicate, open a new thread then just grab the edge of the forum window and slide it across the screen to make it smaller, watch in awe as the "new messages" button disappears before the page then works out that it needs a slider at the bottom.

NB use a new thread as any thread with wide text or photos (i.e. this thread) will generate the slider before the button gets a chance to disappear.

Easy to replicate, open a new thread then just grab the edge of the forum window and slide it across the screen to make it smaller, watch in awe as the "new messages" button disappears before the page then works out that it needs a slider at the bottom.

NB use a new thread as any thread with wide text or photos (i.e. this thread) will generate the slider before the button gets a chance to disappear.

Yup, I realised that was the mistake I was making, the ones with sliders already meant it didnt disapear. I think I know whats causing it, and while I have the power to change the HTML, I dont have the power to flush the cache afterwards so we wouldnt see a change. Will get those Admin type people on it :thumbs:

My Blackberry also does it ...

I've had to bookmark the link to the messages page otherwise I can't read my PM's

Tip: (happpens to me too)

Go to the 'main' site or follow a new post notification, then you find first best victim on the thread. Hit their PM button and instead of sending them a PM you just hit the inbox and read your PM.

:blush:

This can be fixed by moving some of the items in th top menu rown onto the second menu row (next to the chat button).

It occurs becasue at lower resolutions, the buttons for new messages and donate, start to encroach on each others space, the donate is the last one drawn, so it wins, and prevents the messages button from showing.

Ill get it on the to do list along with a few other bits :thumbs:

The easiest way to resolve the iphone browsing problem is for us to go live with the specific iphone skin which will make the browsing a lot easier.

This can be fixed by moving some of the items in th top menu rown onto the second menu row (next to the chat button).

It occurs becasue at lower resolutions, the buttons for new messages and donate, start to encroach on each others space, the donate is the last one drawn, so it wins, and prevents the messages button from showing.

Ill get it on the to do list along with a few other bits :thumbs:

The easiest way to resolve the iphone browsing problem is for us to go live with the specific iphone skin which will make the browsing a lot easier.

whuuuhu :)

It doesnt work like that on most browsers Rich cos when the PhpBB creates the forum it creates a table which will have a minimum width. On most browsers when this width is past it simply cuts of what you can see rather than resizing.

Here is the solution to whoever develops the website (probably Chris) in the style sheet you need to get rid of the following section from the header

or alternively a easier way is to make a copy of delete bottomr.png and rename a copy of bottomm.png to bottomr.png

Hope this helps :thumbs:

It doesnt work like that on most browsers Rich cos when the PhpBB creates the forum it creates a table which will have a minimum width. On most browsers when this width is past it simply cuts of what you can see rather than resizing.

Here is the solution to whoever develops the website (probably Chris) in the style sheet you need to get rid of the following section from the header

or alternively a easier way is to make a copy of delete bottomr.png and rename a copy of bottomm.png to bottomr.png

I was planning on doing your first suggestion. The buttons dont actually encroatch on each other, its that spacer portion that needs removing. Chances are the theme was developed for 1024x768 and standard buttons, so mostly looks fine for most people :)

I was planning on doing your first suggestion. The buttons dont actually encroatch on each other, its that spacer portion that needs removing. Chances are the theme was developed for 1024x768 and standard buttons, so mostly looks fine for most people :)

I think the simplest option is option 2, would probably take 2 mins if you got ftp access. Just use IE to test and shrink window horizontally till it dissapears :thumbs:

I think the simplest option is option 2, would probably take 2 mins if you got ftp access. Just use IE to test and shrink window horizontally till it dissapears :thumbs:

Any theme changes require the cache to be flushed, so needs Chesterfield to do it ;)