Power Gains

steve83

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

learnt a long time ago that the zed is not NA mod friendly.

i've set my bench mark and i've nearly reached it and thats where i'm stopping.

Indeed. I've spent too much money playing about wihth N/A mods. Should have gone FI from the start

I wonder if a standard ecu could cope with 6 throttles? I doubt it. If it could I would go for them. But most cars with ITB lose dbw and go for cable.

i think the trick is to keep the original throttle body still wired up but use a throttle cable, that way you can use the original ECU but won't see all the gains unless you use a stand alone.

some on there seem to have done a jenvey setup for about $3500 but the tuning it all in seems to be the hard part.

Do you have a link for that? :thumbs:

Indeed. I've spent too much money playing about wihth N/A mods. Should have gone FI from the start

+1

I wonder if a standard ecu could cope with 6 throttles? I doubt it. If it could I would go for them. But most cars with ITB lose dbw and go for cable.

i think the trick is to keep the original throttle body still wired up but use a throttle cable, that way you can use the original ECU but won't see all the gains unless you use a stand alone.

some on there seem to have done a jenvey setup for about $3500 but the tuning it all in seems to be the hard part.

Do you have a link for that? :thumbs:

yeah its all in those links to 350z tech that i put up first. leads to another thread and most info is in there. had a good read.

the tommy setup is the nicest, but i wouldn't complain at the top secret one if it turned up on my doorstep for free :lol:

spill the beans!

nothing major doing what most others have done.

exhaust

HFC

Plenum spacer

Throttle spacer

CAI

Abbey retune

just found out my holiday dates, so will try and book in at the beginning of june.

:clap:

spill the beans!

nothing major doing what most others have done.

exhaust

HFC

Plenum spacer

Throttle spacer

CAI

Abbey retune

just found out my holiday dates, so will try and book in at the beginning of june.

Yes, it can be done but you are talking mega bucks if you want to stay N/A

Agreed. One of the guys here has just about every conceivable mod to his N/A, runs at about 85 more horseys than stock. Goes well. Apparently S/C or TT/T is cheating. :scare::lol:

I was looking at a ITB setup on a 2.0 Pinto tune once, got rid in the end. But I know a guy who did do it using motorbike TBs. Loads cheaper, get better gains and smoother ride too. All quite cheap but they're really basic engines.

Surely you could get 6x 600cc motorbike TBs on a 350 engine? Obviously still incur the ECU costs and everythign else to go with it, but you wouldn't be spending £4k on TBs alone!

Out of interest, what kind of gains do you see with these ITB setups?

I was looking at a ITB setup on a 2.0 Pinto tune once, got rid in the end. But I know a guy who did do it using motorbike TBs. Loads cheaper, get better gains and smoother ride too. All quite cheap but they're really basic engines.

Surely you could get 6x 600cc motorbike TBs on a 350 engine? Obviously still incur the ECU costs and everythign else to go with it, but you wouldn't be spending £4k on TBs alone!

You say a smoother ride? I have heard on most cars that people who use motorbike ITB's are great on track but rubbish on roads. motorbike ITB's generally open and close very quickly and have very extreme angles to them. a guy with a lupo gti and cams and ITBs from 125 made 175 and a guy with a clio 172 with cams, itb, exhaust went from 160 to about 210. True the super charged 172 makes 300bhp but I drove my 172 last night and I loved it. Its got pretty hot standard cams so all the power is above 4k and it pulls to 7750. I think a 350z wouldnt gain that much but then it would sound great.

Sfa

well looking at britcar and gtcup, both of which will require about a 30bhp at the wheels hike to be competitive in class. lowest class in both to start with.

Abbey have a few things up their fairly decent sized sleeves so i think all things being equal we should see an NA tune on the cards later in the year, the events will be endurance as well though so it will be interesting to see what they recommend.

sadly internal upgrades for the Z arent really worth it for anything but going Fi , b=not becuase the parts are expsenive as you can get rods , pistons etc pretty cheap from the US but speaking form experience here (had to get a valve bucket done and the labour even at a good rate and done quick i must add) is a big show stopper and will run equal to or more than parts !

so if you got the skills so to speak maybe worth it but dumping a few £K inot internals just for 20-30 bhp aint worth it !

its why the new bread of turbo hot hatches are so popular just give ema remap and intercooler and maybe and exhaust and your close or more than Z power !

sadly internal upgrades for the Z arent really worth it for anything but going Fi , b=not becuase the parts are expsenive as you can get rods , pistons etc pretty cheap from the US but speaking form experience here (had to get a valve bucket done and the labour even at a good rate and done quick i must add) is a big show stopper and will run equal to or more than parts !

so if you got the skills so to speak maybe worth it but dumping a few £K inot internals just for 20-30 bhp aint worth it !

its why the new bread of turbo hot hatches are so popular just give ema remap and intercooler and maybe and exhaust and your close or more than Z power !

I priced up forged internals a while back and got to about 4.5K including cams - BUT labour was more than that :surrender:

what did that include ? pistons , rods , cams , bolts bearrings ..

pistons +rods $1100 from Z1(weisco pistons eagle rods combo used by many state side) , cams are about that same again from Z1 add that again for the other bits n bobs comes in around $3000 or £2-2.4k after rip of rates etc but as you said gonna be that again and more to install it or just take your route !

what did that include ? pistons , rods , cams , bolts bearrings ..

pistons +rods $1100 from Z1(weisco pistons eagle rods combo used by many state side) , cams are about that same again from Z1 add that again for the other bits n bobs comes in around $3000 or £2-2.4k after rip of rates etc but as you said gonna be that again and more to install it or just take your route !

From memory it was

Pistons

Rods

Headgaskets

Cams

Valve Springs

Rev up oil pump

studs

bolts

And a few other bits

After speaking to mark though, the most logical thing to do is fit a HR engine & boost that since its good for about 500hp on stock internals