European trip + meet! 'Ring, Spa, Z Club, club350z.it + more

Removed

ok guys, here's a first stab at an itinerary:

starting point: DOVER

Part 1 arrive @ Spa, Belgium (~370km) Overnight stop

Depending if there's interest, we could get info on going to Francochamps, add 1 extra day for that

Part 2 arrive @ Nurburg, Germany (or vicinity anyway ~125km) Overnight stop

Day at the Ring, again can be either as spectators or have a go on the Ring.

Part 3 arrive at Neuchatel, Switzerland (or anywhere else in Swizterland we decide to have the joint meet with the Italians and other 350Z clubs interested) ~580km Overnight stay, possibly multiple nights.

Part 4 arrive at Chaumont, Champagne region, France Overnight stay ~290km

Part 5 arrive @ Calais and overnight stay ~ 490km

Part 6 go back home :)

Thoughts?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good starting point for debate... :thumbs:

my twopenneth.. 580kms a long way for part 3... I wouldnt relish doing that length journey in a Zed on a hot day

yeah it is a bit long BUT I've done worse in one day (Pistoia-Calais in the Z in July) and no problems whatsoever :teeth:

Dont get me wrong I've done big trips in one go, (Alicante -Derby in 22 hours inc ferry trip , a couple of years ago, please dont ask why !!and never bring the subject up in earshot of my missus :blush: ) but I dont relish the idea of a trip that long in a Zed in summer ;) but I will do it if every one else is up for it :)

Im with you lomoto, its supposed to be a holiday!

Yes I know we are all hooning around in sports cars but I would still like to think we take things at a leisurely pace along the way.

Also banking on doing that journey on your own is one thing, getting a crowd together, getting someone lost, trying to lose Sarnie, allowing for breaks that accomodate everyone just makes that distance sound ambitious.

Also, having some shorter stints allows some people to say "I want a rest day" or "I really like this town I want to stay another night" and they can still catch up to you the next day by doing a long stint if they choose to.

Dragging everyone across europe on an aggresive itinery with no room for flexibility sounds like asking for trouble.

I'd like to think we go away, make some new friends and on return think "I cant wait till next year" rather than "Christ! I am never doing that again".

Maybe its just 'cos I'm an old fart that I look forward to the break on a holiday now. Though I still have fond memories of the jaunts to Magny Cours for a 4 day blast to the GP and sleeping on the side of the French Motorway on route :scare:

Dragging everyone across europe on an aggresive itinery with no room for flexibility sounds like asking for trouble.

Why?

It sounds like great fun

They even have a name for it

it's called

The Gumball B)

Agreed! :thumbs: but thats the type of trip you do with your mates. Earlier posts in this section metioned some fools wanted to bring partners which undoubtedly means stopping for certain "chores" (shopping, sightseeing, spa vists etc).

the itinerary and relative days' stops are all changeable. we could stay more nights somewhere etc. Same goes for the long drives. personally I loved it when I did it and Debbie didn't complain one bit. The Z is more than comfortable for long journeys. Anyone else who think it isn't, should try it first.

With regards to leisurely type of stops, again it's all up to the individuals.

I don't see this being a big group thing, (every bit along the way) to be honest, as people will have different needs (you'll have the people who'll want to stay in 5* hotels every night etc), in my opinion the best option is to give an itinerary and let each individual make their own holiday.

Other suggestions always appreciated (ie don't just moan, offer alternatives, thanks :) )

the Italians seem keen to get on to the Ring too, so we might meet them there too!

Looks like there's quite a lot of interest, my suggestions for accomodations/ferries would be:

Speedferries are VERY cheap compared to competition, it gets to Bulougne instead of Calais, but who cares! Early booking recommended

Accomodations: again if you book in advance you are going to save money as opposed to showing up on the day. I've used the Campanile chain in France before, and while it's not 5*, the buffets are good and prices are very low. I'm planning to use them again. This is much better than the Campanile hotels we have in UK, btw.

For locations in other countries, I found that Laterooms.com is very good and shows many price ranges etc.

I would leave it up to the individuals to book their own accomodation, of course people can share info here.

This of course needs doing once we are happy with dates stopovers, itineraries again can be changed individually to suit different people :)

busy where?

Quite confident only the UK has a public holiday at the end of August. We'd only be in the Uk from home to Dover, remember. And since that would be a one day thing, early morning start would be needed anyway

Ahhh I was thinking that the French had their Bank holiday then, its at the start of August :thumbs: