Service P1 question

Pimm

Just booked my car in with Nissan on Monday for a MOT and service P1.

The cost is £178.90 and I expressed this sounded a little expensive and they then said because my car was out of warranty (04 plate) they could put there own service package together which is exactly the same for £135 :yahoo: ok so I am happy but I wish this was stated at the start of the phone call :wacko:

I also asked what type of oil do they use, I hope the oil that goes in my car is not the same as what goes in a micra if this makes sense. Castrol Magnatec 5/40 is what will go in my car but they did say if I want to use my own oil I could so do I get my own or leave it to Nissan ???

Cheers :D

Why dont you just do the service yourself... A P1 type service is sooo easy and you will save £100 and know its been done..rather than a page of ticks in a box..you know 4 wheels tick, doors work tick, etc etc.. personally I would change all the oils and filters. Really its easy and quick.

Why dont you just do the service yourself... A P1 type service is sooo easy and you will save £100 and know its been done..rather than a page of ticks in a box..you know 4 wheels tick, doors work tick, etc etc.. personally I would change all the oils and filters. Really its easy and quick.

agree but it is nice to have a full Nissan stamp in the service book.

Just looked at my last P3 service and they had used the same oil so I surpose there is nothing to worry about.

Also I have noticed that I have only done 4500 miles from the last MOT :D

Opie Oils do some pretty good discounts for members - personally I get the Fuchs Silkolene 5W-30, but there's plenty of choice. It might be worth checking with Nissan how much your price would come down if you supply your own oil and filter; compare this to the price of getting your own. The Zed needs about 6 litres for an oil change - Opie do a service pack which includes 5 litres of oil, oil filter and an extra 'top up' litre - price varies depending what oil you want.

That said, I think most dealers get their oils much cheaper by bulk buying, for obvious reasons. You probably won't save loads of money by getting your own oil - but I know a lot of owners value having the choice of products.

Good luck :thumbs:

£105 for a P1 if supplying own oil.

thats sounds reasonable , gyln hopkins st albans not so.

i mena for chris sake its an oil change !

Lockwood and Greenwood in Manchester. See forum discount for more info

Just booked my car in with Nissan on Monday for a MOT and service P1.

The cost is £178.90 and I expressed this sounded a little expensive and they then said because my car was out of warranty (04 plate) they could put there own service package together which is exactly the same for £135 :yahoo: ok so I am happy but I wish this was stated at the start of the phone call :wacko:

I also asked what type of oil do they use, I hope the oil that goes in my car is not the same as what goes in a micra if this makes sense. Castrol Magnatec 5/40 is what will go in my car but they did say if I want to use my own oil I could so do I get my own or leave it to Nissan ???

Cheers :D

Got same offer from my main dealer (Vic Young, South Shields) their service £133 (exl vat) & £27 for the MOT. :yahoo:

wish mine was that cheap , going non nissan route as its just an oil change afterall !

it's all down to money yes but it is nice to have a nissan dealer stamp on the service record even though it is just a oil change :D

wish mine was that cheap , going non nissan route as its just an oil change afterall !

it's all down to money yes but it is nice to have a nissan dealer stamp on the service record even though it is just a oil change :D

indeed id muhc rather get nissan stamped but im not paying and extra £100 for it .

I realise that a full dealership service history can be something of a selling point - but I'm becoming increasingly of the opinion that this phenomenon was probably started by the dealers themselves.

If I ever sell my beloved Zed :byebye: , and the prospective buyer complained that the service history wasn't all by Nissan - I'd simply ask them to justify exactly why that was a problem. And if they gave me any lame wafflings about genuine Nissan part etc etc - then I think I'd simply laugh and send them on their way. How many people on here have self installed aftermarket parts on their car - so when it comes to a service, why insist on Nissan?

I'm not suggesting for a minute that all dealerships are bad or that all independents are great - you can't really generalise like that, but you should be able to say to somebody - this car has always been serviced at a sound garage which knows the car and has good credentials, dealership or not.

But if somebody can show me some consistent evidence (not including individual horror stories, no doubt from both sides of this) that independent garages are less competent than mainstream dealers, or that independently serviced cars are any less mechanically sound than dealership serviced ones - then I'll definitely shut my big mouth.

Harrumph!

£105 for a P1 if supplying own oil.

thats sounds reasonable , gyln hopkins st albans not so.

i mena for chris sake its an oil change !

Don't ever go to glyn Hopkins, they can't tell the diff between a 350 and a mirca and are well over priced,

next time use Japex in Kings Langley, provided my own oil and the P1 service was £85 and ex nissan guys and know the zed very well

I realise that a full dealership service history can be something of a selling point - but I'm becoming increasingly of the opinion that this phenomenon was probably started by the dealers themselves.

If I ever sell my beloved Zed :byebye: , and the prospective buyer complained that the service history wasn't all by Nissan - I'd simply ask them to justify exactly why that was a problem. And if they gave me any lame wafflings about genuine Nissan part etc etc - then I think I'd simply laugh and send them on their way. How many people on here have self installed aftermarket parts on their car - so when it comes to a service, why insist on Nissan?

I'm not suggesting for a minute that all dealerships are bad or that all independents are great - you can't really generalise like that, but you should be able to say to somebody - this car has always been serviced at a sound garage which knows the car and has good credentials, dealership or not.

But if somebody can show me some consistent evidence (not including individual horror stories, no doubt from both sides of this) that independent garages are less competent than mainstream dealers, or that independently serviced cars are any less mechanically sound than dealership serviced ones - then I'll definitely shut my big mouth.

Harrumph!

This is not about independents being less competent. :surrender:

I use my local garage 2 minutes down the road for most of my work but the MOT and service goes with Nissan which is 30 minutes away for reason that I am not a mechanic so someone has to do the job.

The cost's of these two different garages to do the same job is nearly nothing and I personally prefer to see a dealers stamp than a independent in my service book especially when the zed's are a little special in my mind and the car is of lower mileage.

My other 3 cars go to the local garage because they are of higher miles and the service history is not that important(vauxhall astra,2x 106's).

Does this make sense

:teeth::teeth:

I understand what you are saying and totally respect your personal preference, and definitely agree that the Zed is special! :teeth:

But you raise the importance of the service history: high for Zed/low for your other cars - what I don't understand is why a dealership service history might be considered to be better/more saleable than an independent or mixed service history (I understand that for lower mileage/newer cars then you have to go to Nissan). I can appreciate that Nissan might be more familiar with the car in general - but since a service is just that - fairly basic maintenance (for a mechanic that is, I couldn't do it all either :surrender: ) any qualified mechanic should fine to carry out this work.

It just grieves me to think that an independent stamp in the book might become a point of haggle with potential buyers when the time comes...

Do the service yourself if you can. Having a dealer stamp in your service book does help when you come to sell the car especially if you sell privately but would rather know the job had been done well and save the money :thumbs: