RC cars...

neo-ninja

Howdy All,

Soo quick question really does any one own or has owned a decent rc car, IE a Tamiya or Nitro car?

Dont ask me why but i have always fancied one, (i love gadgets etc..) and just fancied having a go with one trying to pimp it and generally messing about with one.

Although tbh i know i will use it once and never again does anyone have any advice? Or even one they dont want?!

IM a complete begginer so anything would be good. IM thinking of buying a second hang Tamiya Gravel Hound, they look pretty cool are 4WD off road and look pretty quick too...

I used to have a nitro one. They are a pain in the ass as they seem to run out of petrol quickly and starting them can be a bugger!! Well that was my experience with mine anyway. Electric ones are the way forward I think and definitely an off-road one. I had to find somewhere perfectly flat like a car park cause it was a 911.

I've got an HPI Trophy 3.5 nitro.

If all you want to do is rag a car around, go brushless electric as they're rapid as hell! If you fancy fiddling with the car for 50% of the time, then go Nitro, nothing beats the sound of a single piston engine going round at 35,000 rpm :D

I'd avoid buying nitro 2nd hand though. The general rule is to assume they're worth nothing besides the radio gear as unless you're pulling it apart before you buy.

If you need any advice, feel free to ask :thumbs:

I had a terrible start to my RC year this weekend. Tried to fire up the Nitro for the first time since October and only managed to get it to splutter a few times as my starter died on me!

I've also had my first faceful of nitro this year :lol:

Next weekend will be better :thumbs:

ah cool, didnt really think about searching wasnt sure anyone else would be that interested. But cool will do thanks.

the one i have been looking at is effectively one of these but with all the kit ready for it to rock and roll:

http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/product ... leShopping

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cWI07Tf0e0

how quick are we talking for the battery RCs now?

it really depends on a number of things really. to go seriously quickly, you'll need a brushless motor and lithion ion batteries. To go even faster you'll need an uprated ESC, gears and you'll need to double up on the lithions which starts to get expensive.

typically, an out of the box brushed 22 turn motor RC will do about 40kmph. If you go full hog with all the above, then you can easily pass the 100kmph mark.

my advice is to buy local as shops are your best resource for help, advice and if you buy from a shop, they're likely to have on the shelf spares.

Feel free to PM me if you need more advice

I have a nitro, Kyosho V-One SII with a supra shell. Pretty rapid car, a lot quicker than my friends HPI nitro with skyline shell (until he got his 2 speed gears - Left him standing but then he'd just fly by :p)

When they are set up perfectly mixture wise they run great only suffering from running a little rough sometimes with the body on in hot weather.

If the mixture/idle is out by a little amount you can find yourself starting it, fitting the body and within 20 seconds it's died...off comes body and start again! which can become a pain. Also if it's not right you'll find it bogging down higher up the revs or running too lean and overheating.

We used to take ours to some empty car parks that were nice and flat. Even fitting LED lights at one point (Sounds corny but they looked awesome at night!)

I wanted mine as I'm a bit of a gadget nut and also wanted to modify it, and like stripping it down to clean it and stuff. Most of the time it just sits in the garage now since it's virtually impossible to use it on the grass.

I'd say go for one second hand initially, just keep your eye out for a decent one. Then if you really get into them sell it and buy yourself something even better.

i have a traxxas revo 3.3. IT IS AWESOME!! they have just bought out a new one which looks better too. its quite pricey at around £450. nitro cars are so cool. everyone in the park wants to talk to you as well. the revo will handle most rough stuff and is almost indestructible. its quick too at around 45 mph.

i had a schumacher xtr 3e. which would easily do 60mph+ due to its 3 speed box. it was so rapid. i gave it to the brother in law and is still running (used it at the weekend). electric cars tend to be easier to maintain but dont last as long on batts and arent as fast.

i have had most things RC and the cars are by far the easiest to use day to day.

planes:- have to have a licence and loads of space

boats:- need access to water (but are bloody good fun)

heli's:- solid to fly and need quite alot of space

cars:- out of the box, tune up and use on the street, car park or the local park.

CARS FTW.

go to www.mickcharlesmodels.com for a bit of good info.

also wheelspinmodels are really good too.

My Bro, races electric, the current standard of these are pretty damn quick (not as quick as nitro). Their slower speed but nippy handling offers for some great racing if you fancy that. Been to a few club nights which are held weekly and let folk race against each other. Have a look online for your local RC club and just go along, ask folk questions and see if they will let you have a shot. It can get addictive and expensive :)

• 2 weeks later...

ah really...so would you advise that over a new motor? Also being a complete novice can you link me to some decent mid ranged ones and some top notch ones (i have looked online but really not too sure what im looking at currently)

Sorry forgot to say thank you in advance!! (and for the future no doubt!!)

Also i tell you what i have noticed when looking at getting an RC car, is how helpfull people are when you ask them about it, call up model shops etc... but the whole proceess before that looking on ebay websites etc.. the model companies are sodding useless.... they need some serious marketing help i think because for a complete novice it is really difficult knowing where to start, how hard it is to put kits together, what else you need to buy, etc... etc...

i'm no expert on electric r/c, but you wont notice much difference until you make the jump to brushless. the problem with that is you'll need to also change your ESC which starts to get expensive - a tamiya brushless motor and ESC will set you back about £100 but your RC will fly!

personally, that motor will get you going and isn't terribly expensive and should give you a bit of a boost so might be worth a shot

interesting might keep an eye out on ebay, as there seems to be really cheap second hand parts on there every so often (seen a few brushless motors going for £5) but didnt know i needed an ESC aswell...

Although to be fair for the 5 mins or so i was playing with this it seemed bloody quick and very responsive! so not sure i should let myself loose on a much faster motor etc!

i did get my hpi trophy 3.5 going last weekend - turned out my glow starter needed charging!

i didn't really give it much of a thrashing as it hasn't really been used since october and it appeared to have a fuel leak which i think i have now fixed. going to give it a tune up and a proper run this weekend. will post a video if i remember :thumbs:

i'm no expert on electric r/c, but you wont notice much difference until you make the jump to brushless. the problem with that is you'll need to also change your ESC which starts to get expensive - a tamiya brushless motor and ESC will set you back about £100 but your RC will fly!

personally, that motor will get you going and isn't terribly expensive and should give you a bit of a boost so might be worth a shot

I got one of these bad boys after being recommended it by the drift RC lads - its a cracking deal! ESC and motor for about 50 quid. Just make sure you read up on brushless and get the right number of turns motor as I think they have more torque than a standard, so you can run with more turns? I seem to remember thats how it works.

image3.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/eZRun-Brushless-M ... 563bb8132f

I got one of these bad boys after being recommended it by the drift RC lads - its a cracking deal! ESC and motor for about 50 quid. Just make sure you read up on brushless and get the right number of turns motor as I think they have more torque than a standard, so you can run with more turns? I seem to remember thats how it works.

image3.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/eZRun-Brushless-M ... 563bb8132f

How bizzarre, i saw those last night was just really unsure about what version to go for, but all sounds really exciting will keep you posted on how i get on over the weekend, madly trying to find an excuse to go play with it and convince the gf to come out with me so i dont look like a billy no mates lol!