Cleaning under the hood

cerealuk

I'd be interested in that too. I have some engine and machine cleaner that I use now and then but I'd like to know which bits i can get wet and which bits not etc. I have no clue. I'm sure some people put the hose pipe under the bonnet but i wouldn't dare.

Shire is the man when it comes to engine bays. :thumbs: He'll be alone soon.

too right ....... but i guess you mean 'along'

:lol::lol: Well, if he spends all his time polishing his engine bay.........

I think Zoe's pretty well ensconced :lol:

and ...... it's better than polishing his plenum :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Shire is the man when it comes to engine bays. :thumbs: He'll be alone soon.

too right ....... but i guess you mean 'along'

:lol::lol: Well, if he spends all his time polishing his engine bay.........

I think Zoe's pretty well ensconced :lol:

and ...... it's better than polishing his plenum :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I actually just spat a mouthful of breakfast out reading that lol

I'd be interested in that too. I have some engine and machine cleaner that I use now and then but I'd like to know which bits i can get wet and which bits not etc. I have no clue. I'm sure some people put the hose pipe under the bonnet but i wouldn't dare.

If you needs to lift yer skirt (Bonnet) :lol: for a good cleaning, Dave Naxton does a really top job of the engine bay. Google D.P.N.

I Highly recommend his services.

Did my Chewitts paintwork last week. Spot on. :teeth:

you can actually get the engine bay wet (even with a pressure hose), that's what its designed for, as long as you dab the puddles away with a towel straight away and then take it out for a drive afterwards :)

you can use just normal cleany stuff on it for a basic wash.

you will find afterward the belts will squeal for a min but they will be fine. just dont go mad and drown it and make sure its all OFF when you do it.

:)

Just spotted this thread, alot of guys will give you a long list off specific brands and certain things to use, I'd reccomend starting with degreaser then just getting in with small brushes and just alot of elbowgrease! Alot will frown at this but my secret ingredient was thinners which most will thing I'm crazy for using!But it works great!

Problem is once you start you can never stop Because the bits you haven't done stand out more and it gets to the point where the bits you just can't get to really p!££ you off!

I spent most off yesterday sanding bits off metal that were heavily corroded or oil stained which most people will never notice iv done, now that is sad but it looks good :lol:

Yup Oliver you are spot on with that tip :thumbs:

TBH there are about 4-5 exposed connectors to worry about especially the MAF socket so wrapping them with foil is easy.

Then pre-soak with a degreasant ( i use the eco engine gunk stuff from halfords) then shakeoff the gunk with a soft brush before powerwash.

I let the engine drip dry and later let the car iddle until all the residual water evaporates. The use liquid plastic trim polish on all the plastic stuff and thats me done.

I guess if you want to do the metallic bits then somewhere between the degreasing and hosing down you will to scrub/polish/sand the metallic bits but i don't :lol:

Don'ts:

- Hose a hot engine.

- Leave the battery cover or fuse cover open when washing

- Forget to remove the cling film before driving off.( i got some stuck withn the belts and it was a pain to remove :scare:

- Don't over do it unless it for shows. I think quarterly is fine ;)

Usually when something is wrong with restarting the car it is usually water in the MAF socket.

Just unclip it and dry with towels, blow it with air or hairdryer and it should fix the prob.

Just spotted this thread, alot of guys will give you a long list off specific brands and certain things to use, I'd reccomend starting with degreaser then just getting in with small brushes and just alot of elbowgrease! Alot will frown at this but my secret ingredient was thinners which most will thing I'm crazy for using!But it works great!

Problem is once you start you can never stop Because the bits you haven't done stand out more and it gets to the point where the bits you just can't get to really p!££ you off!

I spent most off yesterday sanding bits off metal that were heavily corroded or oil stained which most people will never notice iv done, now that is sad but it looks good :lol:

ocd :)

i have the same obsession, alas, i have only just begun.

Two other big don'ts.....

1. - DO NOT just hose under your engine bay. There are plenty of areas that water can gather and normally with some sort of cable running from it that goes into a connector. This will either cause an immediate problem or get into the socket and rust the connection. You don't want either to happen.

2. DO NOT use foil. It is not designed to repel water and IS designed to conduct electricity! Adding metal in there, with water will add to the risk of arcing between bits of metal.

Use cling film, where you can wrap it around the connector and use a watering can to rinse it :)

Suggest a range of brushes from alloy wheel brushes to toothbrushes for the various bits, and a few rags to wipe things clean. To dress, something like AG Vinyl and Rubber Care is good. :thumbs:

If your engine has problems after a quick hosing it was going to have problems anyway lets face it. as long as you dab off the pools and drive it straight away you will be fine, i've done it with every car i've owned and never had a problem. if you notice your engine bay isnt exactly weather sealed from the rain etc. im not suggesting you go wild with the hose though!!

quick tip.. anything you dont want to get wet> IE electrical parts> cover with kitchen foil its easy to mold around things and when you power wash dose not fall off. ( mr muscle kitchen spray for any grease and grim) cheap but works. :blush:

Kitchen foil and electrical parts - what if thereis a permanent live on an item :scare:

Good old cling film it the ticket :thumbs: