Folding key fob?

Zugara

IDEA. Could we go a different route by making a custom mould sheath for the existing key? Could have a cool Z on it.

Second thoughts its just a ball ache for a car key isnt it! :lol:

i think the problem is that you need to get someone to make the plastic, then the buttons and then someway for it to flip and so on.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IDEA. Could we go a different route by making a custom mould sheath for the existing key? Could have a cool Z on it.

Second thoughts its just a ball ache for a car key isnt it! :lol:

its a major ballache, it needs to be professional injection moulded. making the moulds costs a small fortune to start with then you need a minimum order for processing; something like 2000 keys minimum order. and because its such a short run the costs are very high.

as re re coding another manufactuers key to the zed i don't think will work, they wont talk to each other

Same was said about key fob folding mirrors for years, but someone came along and concluded this quite simply in the end!!

well its not 100% solved ;) bit of a clumsy solution and not quite what was originally set out to be accomplished.

Biscuit looked at the folding fob quite closely and we talked about it, what he says is accurate, its not going to be ecanomical to manufacture one, the only way would be fitting the existing one into a aftermarket flip case which is difficult. I might make a folding one for my own use but i doubt i'll ever get the time to put it down as a project so I guess i'll never get the chance :(

Same was said about key fob folding mirrors for years, but someone came along and concluded this quite simply in the end!!

well its not 100% solved ;) bit of a clumsy solution and not quite what was originally set out to be accomplished.

Biscuit looked at the folding fob quite closely and we talked about it, what he says is accurate, its not going to be ecanomical to manufacture one, the only way would be fitting the existing one into a aftermarket flip case which is difficult. I might make a folding one for my own use but i doubt i'll ever get the time to put it down as a project so I guess i'll never get the chance :(

thats the issue it cant be fitted in to an aftermarket one as the buttons don't fit the holes. and the circuit doesnt fit the case, even with major surgery to the PCB. the only fix is a custom designed and built casing. mucho dollars

as for the mirror fix, not really thats a back yard bodge job, the aim was to build a standalone Pic controller that would do multiple functions like auto dip on reversing, out fold on egnition off, open on key fob etc.

Is there a folding key fob available for the 350s, fed up of scratching the drivers door handle. :bang:

How you're scratching up the door handle?

Don't you use remote lock and unlock?

When I remove the keys from ignition and open the door.

Sorry for the reply from what appears a newbie but i was an active member a few years ago when I had my 350z (the best car ive had which i miss dearly just cant do with a family now) anyway how would you scratch th door handle removing the key from the ignition i dont remember doing that when i had mine?

Is there a folding key fob available for the 350s, fed up of scratching the drivers door handle. :bang:

How you're scratching up the door handle?

Don't you use remote lock and unlock?

When I remove the keys from ignition and open the door.

Sorry for the reply from what appears a newbie but i was an active member a few years ago when I had my 350z (the best car ive had which i miss dearly just cant do with a family now) anyway how would you scratch th door handle removing the key from the ignition i dont remember doing that when i had mine?

remove the key and wildly fail inside the car, simultaneously scratching the trim and getting a nose bleed from the excitement.

never_go_full_retard.jpg

Unless I'm being blind or stupid I can't?

Does anyone know what frequency the jdm keys work on?

in the picture the key is just for the ignition. the other bit is for door entry. they have bought a case that fits the door entry fob part. so that all of the buttons align.

cracked into the key (that has no buttons and just married the two together.

if our keys were in two parts rather than being in a complete unit it would be easy to do! :thumbs:

Am I misunderstanding something here? From reading on my350z I gather that the internals of the new fob/key are programmed to the car and the only thing needed from the original key is the transponder chip and the blank to be cut to fit.

I dunno, it's late, lol

correct. But the americans have a different key to us so the pcb fits into the new key, the pcb in our keys is too big to fit into the new unit.

I think i've still got a key fob here somewhere from my attempts if anyone wanted it :)

Right,

The US KEY has NO buttons. They have two parts. The ignition part and the door entry part.

Basically they have married the two together in one key.

They have taken the transponder chip out if the key part, see the pic of the key broken in half. Then they have taken the door entry part and cut the alarm button part off. And just put it into the new flip key. They are the right size for the original entry fob part.

So now they have one flip key from two separate fobs.

Am I misunderstanding something here? From reading on my350z I gather that the internals of the new fob/key are programmed to the car and the only thing needed from the original key is the transponder chip and the blank to be cut to fit.

I dunno, it's late, lol

Yeah that right. You dont need anything else.

I know the uk freq is 433.92mhz does anyone know what the jdm one is? :thumbs:

288 mhz i think, i lookied into shipping some in from japan but it fell through. best off asking abbey motorsport as they can get spare key programmed for jdm models. :thumbs:

I know the uk freq is 433.92mhz does anyone know what the jdm one is? :thumbs:

288 mhz i think, i lookied into shipping some in from japan but it fell through. best off asking abbey motorsport as they can get spare key programmed for jdm models. :thumbs:

Cheers mate :clap::thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...