Is the site a bit glitchy or is it just me?

andlid

Hello,

just spotted something that might be down to my silly lappy throwing a fit now and then.

Problem description:

Logon to site to view a thread read it maybe even post a reply, then hit the 'chat' button since I don't see a problem having that one on it the background all day... :blush: . When I do this and sometimes just type something and hit enter the chat light goes from green to red and I loose all connection to the site this happened about 20 min ago (if not sooner) so 12:00/12:10 GMT I lost all the connections to the site and the chat, after a bit of 'waiting' it came back...

Anyone else 'suffer' from this?

A

We're looking into it guys. At the moment it looks to be an issue with the web spiders from Google and Yahoo causing us problems. Monitoring it for now to see whats causing it. Dont worry, we'll have her tip top shape again in no time :thumbs:

Am I the only one having an issue with some of the smilies?

Mainly viewing the wink, tongue sticking out one - the tongue one ends up looking like a heart beating :-s

Same happened to me after I upgraded to latest FF

Well mods, if you need some help let me know B)

Newest version of firefox fixed the smilies issue.

The site slow down issues seem to be a number of things. Firstly, we have google and Yahoo bots browsing the site, and unfortunately these fellows seem to decide to do this at the same time. :dry: They should be handled by the software, but I think an update may be needed to the way they are directed round the site.

We are also getting quite busy. Though quite busy is perhaps an understatement. To give some idea of our growth, the original MONTHLY server allowances this fourm used back in 2005/6 when we started would be used up in aproximately 3-4 days now.

One particular statistic of interest is that we are displaying almost 1 Million pages per month. Thats not "hits" as many statistics engines report either. In terms of "hits" or individual items retrieved from our server (individual icons, images, buttons etc) we are well over 14 Million each month.

The above are being served to several thousand unique visitors each month too.

We managed to chew through nearly 90GB of data in February, and the stats for March look set to increase page views over 1 million in a month for the first time, with usage pushing 100GB.

We are currently undertaking a piece of work to improve the way our database works, and hopefully this should see some improvements. Though during this work we have rebooted the server a few times, so this may explain why some people have seen slow downs or timeouts.

We will make it better, and we will make it faster. :thumbs:

if the info helps:

i left my laptop running for the best part of 5 hours or so and when i got to it the forum had used up all the available memory and was pushing the processor to 75% capacity, there's something going on that adds and adds and adds as long as you have the forum up. the desktop suffers it too, although you'd never know as it just swallows this up without a flinch.

if the info helps:

i left my laptop running for the best part of 5 hours or so and when i got to it the forum had used up all the available memory and was pushing the processor to 75% capacity, there's something going on that adds and adds and adds as long as you have the forum up. the desktop suffers it too, although you'd never know as it just swallows this up without a flinch.

Are you running chat permenantly? Thats the only thing that will eat memory. If not, they its your browser or something. I have it open all the time at home and at work and doesnt do that. And I run FF at work and IE8 at home.