Driver's window scratching really badly

s1xtyn1n3

I've noticed that i'm getting a lot of scratches on the driver's window. The marks are all vertical which suggests that the window is scratching as its opened and closed. I've cleaned the rubber seals, but it appears that whatever is causing it, is further down the door.

Is there a way I can clean this out without having to resort to removing the door card?

Also, I need to get rid of the scratches - I had a quick go at it with brasso, but it didn't seem to be helping. Should I persist or is there something else I should use?

Mine does the same. Seem to have picked up a few light scratches. The noise is worse, like fingers going down a blackboard, so my needs a clean too it seems.

I believe Megs do a dedicated glass scratch remover. I have some Scratch X which I might give a try on some of mine. I'll let you know if it works.

Bradders.

My pasanger side is quite badly scratched.

I bought some Auto-Glym glass polish and I have to say I noticed no difference. :thumbdown:

Tried it on the windscreen too cos there's quite a lot of little marks, I guess from stone chips etc, only tiny ones mind, but absolutely no difference. I wasn't expeting miracles, but at least something!

There must be a product to remove the deeper scratches?

I bought some Auto-Glym glass polish and I have to say I noticed no difference. :thumbdown:

Tried it on the windscreen too cos there's quite a lot of little marks, I guess from stone chips etc, only tiny ones mind, but absolutely no difference. I wasn't expeting miracles, but at least something!

ahem - look at the T- cut stuff I posted up ! IT does work! In old money it would have been called Jewellers Rouge - a paste Jewellers use to polish the gemstones etc etc - ooh showing my age,

Autoglym products for me are far too mild for most applications! :shrug:

this seems to be a common problem. I've seen it on a couple of zeds, not mine thankfully. BUT, i do have this weird mark that keeps appearing on my passenger side window - like a greas smear in a vertical line. The funny thing is though, i NEVER open that window? Yet every few days when i check it's there again. Like its picked something up and smeared it in a line when the window has been down and up again. (but it hasn't been moved)

'ahem' :lol:

I might give that stuff a go then.

I guess the thing to do first is remove what's causing the scratches in the first place. Any idea where to start, anybody?

ahem - look at the T- cut stuff I posted up ! IT does work! In old money it would have been called Jewellers Rouge - a paste Jewellers use to polish the gemstones etc etc - ooh showing my age,

Autoglym products for me are far too mild for most applications! :shrug:

I guess the thing to do first is remove what's causing the scratches in the first place. Any idea where to start, anybody?

Whenever I wash the car I lightly scrub between the side window and the rubber with an old tooth brush.Always have on all cars because I could not stand it when you used to get green slime there. Yes I'm a bit sad :blush:

Guys, this can be caused by some tough grit stuck in the guide pads / brush on the regulator assembly. It is more common though for the grit to be caught in the weather seal on the door, I would slide the seal out first to see if that is the problem. Very easy to remove with 1 screw and then just slide off but be careful not to bend the seal otherwise it's scrap :thumbdown:

all good advice :thumbs:

i'll be taking a crack at mine on saturday as well as having a second go at putting an aux on the bose as well as a few other minor things i want to give some attention to. good thing i need to get up early for the F1, looks like it's going to be a long day!

will post back with results :)

• 4 weeks later...

I've still not got round to doing this but probably will in the next couple weeks.

However, even more annoying than that are the little chips on the windscreen. They're only small but I have a lot, almost looks like I have rain on my screen all the time :thumbdown:

Any ideas if the glass polish will get these small 'chips' out?

I hope so cos I don't want to buy a new screen but it's really quite annyoing...

I have some scratching on my drivers side too.

I've tried the t cut glass polish and found it only removed some of the lighter scratches.

I must admit I havn't tried some on the rotary yet I only did it by hand so I will be giving it a go.

I've managed to prevent mine getting any worse, but there are so many and i've already put stacks of effort into getting them out that i'm thinking it might be easier for me to replace the windows when time and money allow.

I haven't machine polished yet either so there's still that to try i guess. I'll have a word with my watchsmith mate and see what he says - he is the glassmaster! :lol:

I just found some of the T-Cut polish in my shed so gave it a quick blast by hand.

Have to say it's not made any difference! The scratches aren't really that deep, can only just feel them with my nail so expected much better result TBH. Made no difference to my windscreen either, apart from now the chips have white polish in and are more noticeable!

:bang:

Glass looks nice and shiny now though! :)