whats difference between trc off and on

bboyzeez

ok everyone ive basically gone from a toyota celica 1.8vvtli to the 350z and i was advised to leave the traction control on as i have habit of heavy revving ....i nearly always go round corner and get the slip light flash and my car slow down automatically while the lights on then turns off once i got grip.....i take it this is normal and whats difference with trc off will it stop the slip function from happening?

should i drive with it off as i know some of you have tried both and know whats best?

I know there are some purists on here that will have the TC off all the time, but I nearly always have it on, it's a reassuring safety net. I came from a Golf GT into the Zed so RWD was all new and the TC saved me a couple of times.

It's not a bad system, never found it too intrusive. Best to leave it on for day to day driving.

This might help too..... Don't tell anyone im giving out technical info though as im not renowned for it on this site :)

Q: The "Slip" light come on randomly, especially in turns, even though my tires aren't slipping. What's up with that?

A: Both the Traction Control System (TCS) and Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) can cause the "slip" light to come on. There are a couple of things that can make it come on even though you don't feel/hear your tires slipping.

The most common cause for this behavior is replacement of the OEM tires with a different size. All Zs come with staggered tires, that is to say the fronts are a little shorter than the rears. This causes the tires to rotate at different rates which TCS and VDC depends on for normal operation. If you install tire combinations that don't maintain that stagger, it can cause problems for TCS/VDC resulting in the "slip" light illuminating.

The stock tire sizes and Outside Diameters are:

225/50/17 25.9"

235/50/17 26.3" (0.4" stagger)

225/45/18 25.9"

245/45/18 26.7" (0.8" stagger)

245/40/18 25.7"

265/35/19 26.3" (0.6" stagger)

When choosing new tires, try to find front/rear pairs that maintain the stagger of at least ½" and less than 1". You should also look for front/rear setups that maintain the same OD as that will keep your speedometer and odometer accurate.

Here are the most common "upsized" tire combinations. These are known to work and keep TCS/VDC happy.

245/40/18 25.7"

275/40/18 26.6" (0.9" stagger)

245/35/19 25.8"

275/35/19 26.6" (0.8" stagger)

Check the manufacturer's website to find the Outside Diameter of tires before you buy them, or use one of the online tire calculators:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

http://www.wheelsmaster.com/rt_specs.jsp

A less common cause for the "slip" light to illuminate comes from replacing the fronts or rears only. If you replace only the fronts or rears, the stagger may not be what you think it is because the other worn pair is actually up to ½" smaller than they were when new.

New tires also come with a release agent on the surface of the rubber that must be worn off. That makes them slick and can result in your tires actually slipping, hence the "slip" light.

NOTE: The slip light does and will come on during "normal" driving that is unrelated to tire size or wear. If you apply too much throttle when launching or going around a turn, the wheels will slip and cause the light to illuminate. Also, driving on slick road surfaces (water, oil, rocks) can also cause your tires to slip.

ahhh i thought i was doing something wrong glad its all safe ..... ye very different experience when i let it go round a corner i was like woahhhh

random question next to the trc button is a switch in my car and when i driving i flick it on a lil red light shows up what is this????

i only got car yesterday with no manual book so im clueless

ahhh i thought i was doing something wrong glad its all safe ..... ye very different experience when i let it go round a corner i was like woahhhh

random question next to the trc button is a switch in my car and when i driving i flick it on a lil red light shows up what is this????

If its an import its probably your fog light... :D

Damn it thats two technical questions answered in a short space of time..... if only Dcash could see me now.... im flying :lol:

ok and one more question seeing as ur on a roll lol

im only 20 and i drive alot different vehicles and when driving this i notice my clutch foot is killing when driving i got seat set to right length but i dont seem to have any height adjusment on the seats only a dial which hightens the knee area of the seat if that makes sense???

if im being stupid and there is an obvious height adjustment plz let me know or pic of it so i know what to look for if not can u get extended clutches so my foot isnt hurting???

hahah ahh i have u know im a breakdance teacher i see myself as very fit (in a no homo way) but i feel like its to high but i admit i have very bad habit of coasting alot and keeping clutch down maybe i just need to start learning to drive properly seeing as i have a proper car now lol

hahah ahh i have u know im a breakdance teacher i see myself as very fit (in a no homo way)

:lol::lol::lol::lol: sarnie was getting excited aswell.

and tarmac!!? wtf is wrong with you :lol: great info

i keep the tcs on most of the time tbh unless its a reeeeeally wide road (eg runway) :lol: only takes a couple of scares with it off and reading the "i crashed because of an oil spill ;) " threads for you to realise its silly to turn it off

I also came from a celica and they are miles apart. I've had the z 6 months now and still leave the ESP on most the time. Like Husky said its to late when it goes wrong... :thumbs:

Oh, my girlfriend drives my car without a problem and shes slim lol, you must have little legs lol...Try Spinning at gym not dancing lol :p

Alexz

If its an import its probably your fog light... :D

Damn it thats two technical questions answered in a short space of time..... if only Dcash could see me now.... im flying :lol:

Dan will have a fit when he see that you have answered 2 questions ;)

Dan will have a fit when he see that you have answered 2 questions ;)

Oh well :shrug:

He doesnt talk to me because he thinks I reported him to the mods for something, that and the fact my posts have no relevance apparently :bangin::lol::lol:

:doh: Yeah, like im gonna do that.... im 32 next month not 6 :lol::lol::lol:

Anyway... your gonna see a new more helpful Tarmac from now on :D

ok everyone ive basically gone from a toyota celica 1.8vvtli to the 350z and i was advised to leave the traction control on as i have habit of heavy revving ....i nearly always go round corner and get the slip light flash and my car slow down automatically while the lights on then turns off once i got grip.....i take it this is normal and whats difference with trc off will it stop the slip function from happening?

should i drive with it off as i know some of you have tried both and know whats best?

Would be reluctant to switch mine off judging by the amount of times I had my 200SX going sideways. Could be good fun though until something untoward occured and then you'd sincerely wish you'd left it switched on. In a nutshell I'm not brave or affluent enough to chance it

i leave mine on most of the time, but if its a sunny day and i've gone for a proper drive i turn it off. general commuting it stays on.

also turn it off when i've been on track. have some proper fun then.

only tine i find TCS a hinderance is pulling out of a junction when you need a lot of oomph to make a gap. if you put to much down the TCS kills all the power and you limp out. which isn't so good :wacko:

my advice, go do a CAT driver training day, learn what the car can and cant do and more ot the point what you can and can;t do in the car. ;)