Tape Deck Hack ??

Tricky-Ricky

Mine has been done thanks to Cookie who did a splendid job of the soldering. :thumbs:

Anyone else get massive interference/buzzing when playing the MP3 via this method? The sound is perfect through a seperate IPOD so I know its nothing to do with the connection on the tape deck.

Also, is it possible to use a wire connector block instead of wrapping the wires around the power cable to the stereo to provide the power to the sat nav? Will this cause a prob?

Ta

Dave

yeah, I also have the buzzing noise. Been advised its down to a bad earth (ground). Will try to find a better grounding point on the chassis tomorrow.

Cheers

Dave

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all you guys that did it without cutting track, you will get the feedback and buzzing. They are cut for a reason ;)

I am fitting 2 of my units tomorrow. Anyone who wants this service doing anytime in the future or if your going to the Jap North East meet please PM me :thumbs::thumbs:

Mine all works fine the only time I get a strange noise is when the tape option is selected and I join the mp3. You hear a slight noise as the speaker plug gets pushed into the mp3 itself. If the MP3 is already connected and you choose the MP3 option its seamless. There no interferance whats so ever when playing :teeth:

For all you guys that did it without cutting track, you will get the feedback and buzzing.

No such problems for me or at least 5 other people above :p

Admittedly some people do have problems but it seems to be down to shorting or mixing up the wires, or the routing of the cable. In this case the noise is related to connecting to a Nurrish SatNav.

Mine all works fine the only time I get a strange noise is when the tape option is selected and I join the mp3. You hear a slight noise as the speaker plug gets pushed into the mp3 itself. If the MP3 is already connected and you choose the MP3 option its seamless. There no interferance whats so ever when playing :teeth:

+1

mine is absolutely brilliant, well worth doing, but it has to be done properly and patience is the key!!

+1

mine is absolutely brilliant, well worth doing, but it has to be done properly and patience is the key!!

Yes, tried my n97 and an iphone and it is as clear as a bell. Only when its plugged into the nurrish sat nav does it buzz really bad. Close to giving up on it tbh, and just leaving the cable poking out of the bottom of the gear stick to connect my mp3 player to. :bang: Defeats the object of me buying it as that is what I bought it for. :angry:

The problem is noise pickup due to ground loops. I had the same issue when I put my car PC in.

The cure is a ground loop isolator. This unit has RCA (phono) sockets and goes in line with your audio source and the Bose. Halfrauds and Maplin stock them. Fitting is a 5 min job, no soldering involved.

S.

Close to giving up on it tbh, and just leaving the cable poking out of the bottom of the gear stick to connect my mp3 player to.
I took mine back a little further into the cubby with the phone adapter (in the GT). Really straight forward to do (3 screws) and it means you can leave an MP3 player or phone connected but hidden when not in the car :thumbs:

A ground loop isolator. As the Nurrish Sat Nav to Bose tape hack only uses a 3.5 jack. how would you go about fitting that to the little box wiht phonos? Break the L and R channels leaving the Ground line intact or break them all and just connect the L and R channel?

Cookie

The way the ground loop isolator works is by keeping the ground from the source and the amplifier (Bose) separate as far as the audio goes.

If the Nurrish NAV comes out in a 3.5m plug, then remove that and solder the left and right channel wires to the center pins of 2 off RCA (Phono) plugs. The ground lead should be soldered to one of the RCA plug shells. For completeness solder a short insulated wire between the shells of the RCA plugs. You should then have left and right RCA plugs with the earth lead connected to one plug shell and continued to the other plug shell.

This plugs into one side of the ground loop isolator, and your amplifier (Bose) needs to connect to the other side with left and right RCA plugs.

All there is in the isolator box are a couple of audio transformers. They let the audio signals pass thru, but stop the differential noise (on the ground) between source and amplifier.

Hope this helps.

S.

Just an update on my buzzing noise

After trying multiple grounding points in the car I still had the buzzing. Went and bought a ground loop isolator from maplins, cut the conectors off and soldered it to the lead from the BOSE to the SatNav, it got rid of the buzzing noise but also lost most of the sound! I had to crank the volume up full to hear anything.....aagghh

So, I took the BOSE apart and soldered the lead to the three pins that require you to break the pcb tracks (I did break the tracks). Guess what? It's still buzzing. Not better, no worse!

its amazing how quick you can get the dash apart when you have done it so many times! Let me know if anyone comes up with any ideas.

Cheers

Dave

Sorry to hear that you still have problems Dave.

It maybe that the output from the Nurrish Nav system is too low a level or the wrong impedance (technical term) to match the ground isolator. My Bose is driven from the audio line outputs of my PC, which the isolator was designed for.

You say that with the isolator in the buzzing had gone, but the sound was very weak. It might be possible to increase the sound level from the Nav system to compensate. Have a word with Nurrish and see what his arrangement is.

Cheers

S.

• 2 weeks later...
the temptation to do mine is growing :lol: then i have to buy an ipod or such like

I have no ipod ??

any mobile phone or cheap mp3 player with a headphone socket will do the job :D:D

it's only 11.40, start know and it will be finished by 1 am :thumbs::thumbs:

my best work is done at this time :lol: :lol:

the problem is then i get silly ideas about going the whole hog and replacing it all :lol:

anyone can replace the bose system :yawn: it's about improving or make doing with what you got imo :teeth::teeth:

I must confess though when i done mine the other night i was drinking the lager rather well but last year i was soldering and drinking at the same time and picked up the iron at the wrong end :scare::scare::scare: so i was a little more carefull this time :lol:

i stabbed mine into the side of my hand and laid it down on my finger a week or so ago because of vodka :blush:

we have something in common you and me Husky ????

we love to solder ;):thumbs::thumbs: