Tape Deck Hack ??

Tricky-Ricky

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only ever seen it done on the US bose. That's not to say it can't be done on a UK/JDM, but it might be different.

That pic and guide were by a guy in Singapore! It can be done on any UK car or JDM with the double-DIN BOSE. My post on the last page explains an easier way to solder the cable and how you don't need to cut any PCB tracks:

http://my350z.com/forum/7883419-post130.html

It's really easy and works so much better than any FM transmitter or cassette adaptor :thumbs:

That thread is a bit messy now and most pics have disappeared but I have a saved copy that I was planning to repost here soon.

I've only ever seen it done on the US bose. That's not to say it can't be done on a UK/JDM, but it might be different.

That pic and guide were by a guy in Singapore! It can be done on any UK car or JDM with the double-DIN BOSE. My post on the last page explains an easier way to solder the cable and how you don't need to cut any PCB tracks:

http://my350z.com/forum/7883419-post130.html

It's really easy and works so much better than any FM transmitter or cassette adaptor :thumbs:

That thread is a bit messy now and most pics have disappeared but I have a saved copy that I was planning to repost here soon.

Did you use a dummy cassette, or did you do the spring mod (whatever that entails, no pics) or do you think the external switch idea is a better bet?

I tried the spring mod. Worked for about 5 minutes! Put the spring back in now and use a dummy cassette.

I soldered mine onto the three solder spots in the top right hand corner of the picture. The places used in the picture apparantly require you to break some of the pcb tracks. This was not required using the three spots in the top right hand corner

Cheers

Dave

Ok so let me get this right....we whip out our headunit find the above location on the curcit board. brake the feed, solder a 3.5mm headphone plug onto the board and rebuild. Then you attach a mp3 player via the 3.5mm socket i've soldered on hit the tape button and it plays the mp3 if theres a tape in the deck???

This will rock if it works on the UK's

pretty much, but as mentioned above, if you solder to the 3 top right connectors in that picture instead, you don't need to break the tracks on the PCB.

you also need to put a cassette in to trick it into playing otherwise you can't select "tape". most people use a dummy cassette so that it doesn't make any noise from the gears

Did you use a dummy cassette, or did you do the spring mod (whatever that entails, no pics) or do you think the external switch idea is a better bet?

I use a dummy cassette as the spring mod seemed a bit hit and miss. As long as you don't break the PCB tracks you can still pop in a normal cassette and it'll play as normal ;)

For reference the spring mod is removing these parts:

removedph7.jpg

I guess GND is earth but what are the others and how do you solder a two wire headphone cable to three points lol? :scare:

The Left and Ground are together in one side of the cable, although to be fair it's hard to see in that pic ;)

only the l-ch and r-ch points need to be connected

If I get the time - i'll do mine on saturday and post up photos

thats what i said

yeah, it's also what i said, yet the question keeps getting asked :lol:

if the weather holds and i can find a 3.5mm cable, i'll post up some sort of guide :thumbs:

I use a dummy cassette as the spring mod seemed a bit hit and miss. As long as you don't break the PCB tracks you can still pop in a normal cassette and it'll play as normal ;)

For reference the spring mod is removing these parts:

removedph7.jpg

I guess GND is earth but what are the others and how do you solder a two wire headphone cable to three points lol? :scare:

The Left and Ground are together in one side of the cable, although to be fair it's hard to see in that pic ;)

I did see it mentioned that if you can locate the tape sensor switch then wire into it, you can then just add a switch, haven't quite worked out why the other switch was necessary?