Are Nissan dealers all crap?

BobTheDog

Yeh, my local Nissan dealer Gly Hopkin, MK have always been very helpful, no complaints at all.

Ditto WLMG in Slough, and they offer a club discount on servicing. West Way Basingstoke are pants and KJM in Reading were a bit mediocre.

I'm testing a second hand Cayman S on Monday, I should think if I like it I will get it.

Otherwise I will go to Slough, I would rather travel a bit and have a good dealer!

Cheers

Andy

Yeh, the Cayman S is a nice solid car but to me just doesn't look as special as the 370z and is certainly a lot more common. I did consider one though and they drive beautifully!

I'm testing a second hand Cayman S on Monday, I should think if I like it I will get it.

Otherwise I will go to Slough, I would rather travel a bit and have a good dealer!

Cheers

Andy

Yeh, the Cayman S is a nice solid car but to me just doesn't look as special as the 370z and is certainly a lot more common. I did consider one though and they drive beautifully!

Yup was a close call for me too, almost had a Cayman S second hand if it wasnt for this place and the service I got when WLMG got a car in to test drive. Admittedly I had written them off until G chased me up. If you do plan to head down there, ask for G or Abid and tell them we sent you and that you have travelled a good distance to get a test drive. The roads around Slough arent exactly amazing, but they should be able to find you somewhere to open her up :thumbs:

Glyn Hopkin in MK and Marshalls are the only two Ive ever heard anyone have a good word to say about - I know I can go drive a 370Z at Marshall whenever I want (and a GTR if I provide insurance but Im not that rich anymore :D)

Do you tell them you already have a 350Z?? Might swing things a bit :thumbs:

Cheers

Andy

I certainly don't regret buying mine. After a month of ownership, this is what I feel is better than my 350:

Quite a bit quicker, especially the pick up at higher speeds.

The steering is among the best for feedback of anything I've owned including a Lotus.

Much less intervention from the TCS and consequently you can boot it out of bends harder.

Sounds incredible over 4000 rpm and that's not taking into account the switchable exhaust mine has fitted.

Build quality, obviously.

Better on fuel by about 2mpg on average.

The only advice I would give is don't buy one with 19's unless its got PASM fitted otherwise it will knock your fillings out. Mine has and its fine. The one I test drove didn't and it was way too harsh.

The 350 is more of a GT whereas the Cayman is pure sports car. By that I'm referring to the fact that the 350 is a better overall ride and would probably be a nicer car for long journeys. It's also quieter inside. The Zed represents excellent value for money and if you were to spec a Cayman up with the level of equipment the Zed has as standard you'd be looking at well over 50K. That really is where the benefits end though imo. The Cayman is such an accomplished car at all things, I just cannot fault it at all.

The 350 is more of a GT whereas the Cayman is pure sports car. By that I'm referring to the fact that the 350 is a better overall ride and would probably be a nicer car for long journeys. It's also quieter inside. The Zed represents excellent value for money and if you were to spec a Cayman up with the level of equipment the Zed has as standard you'd be looking at well over 50K. That really is where the benefits end though imo. The Cayman is such an accomplished car at all things, I just cannot fault it at all.

Fully agree. We did over 2,000 miles as part of the Jockland hoon last year and not once did the missus moan about being unformfortable. Its amazing as a GT car at its price point :thumbs:

As you say Trev, if you spec the Cayman up to match what the ZED offers then it is in an altogether price bracket. I'm sure I would come to the same conclusions as you about the driveability but then again I quite enjoy the questions (and even more so with the 370) - "nice motor mate what is it?" :lol:

But do you know what, this forum is what makes ownership of a 350/370 so good, and its nice to see you and many other ex 350 owners are not letting go :thumbs:

Keeps us posted though on life with a Cayman ;)

I was sold on the test drive really, didn't really go for it but redlined it in first and second and the sound And acceleration were very nice.

What really surprised me was how refined I'd was at low revs/speed, nearly silent and very easy to drive, I was fully expecting it to be a pain at low speed but it just wasn't.

Balance and steering were excellent, I was very impressed, so impressed I got the bloody thing.

Sat nav is @*!# though, not postcode at all, I am hoping I can upgrade it somehow.

Cheers

andy

Sat nav is @*!# though, not postcode at all, I am hoping I can upgrade it somehow.

Thats why I waited for the MY2010 370z, the satnav is greatly improved and importantly does postcodes. Cant beleive in this day and age Nissan had satnav that couldnt do postcodes, but Porsche too?! Jeezz, I'd hate to have gotten a new Cayman S or similar to find it wouldnt do it :bang:

New ones do partial postcode, so not a whole lot better.

I read on one Porsche forum the best thing to do is to attach a TomTom to the SatNav screen!

Cheers

Andy

Lol - well in a funny way you have made me very happy I went for the 370z over a Cayman then :lol:

You got me thinking there Trev - is there anything that the 350 is better than the Porsche for?? :thumbs:

No!

I have both. Maybe the the 350/370 is cheaper to buy, that's about it.

Also supreme customer service when you go to the Porsche showroom and not some sales oik giving you a hard sell before you have even seen the car......

The 350 is more of a GT whereas the Cayman is pure sports car. By that I'm referring to the fact that the 350 is a better overall ride and would probably be a nicer car for long journeys. It's also quieter inside.

My Boxster has 19" and PASM and it has a considerably better ride than my 350Z - softer too than the 350 but taught when you want it to be. Sublime handling and quiet inside even at high speed.

The 350 is more of a GT whereas the Cayman is pure sports car. By that I'm referring to the fact that the 350 is a better overall ride and would probably be a nicer car for long journeys. It's also quieter inside.

My Boxster has 19" and PASM and it has a considerably better ride than my 350Z - softer too than the 350 but taught when you want it to be. Sublime handling and quiet inside even at high speed.

Interesting. My Cayman also has 19's and PASM but without doubt makes more road noise than my 350 did. Mind you if your 350 has Bridgestones fitted then that will go some way to explailning why.

Interesting. My Cayman also has 19's and PASM but without doubt makes more road noise than my 350 did. Mind you if your 350 has Bridgestones fitted then that will go some way to explailning why.

Yes, it has the original Bridgstones fitted (done 20K). I am going for T1-R's very soon and new wheels. Hopefully the T1-R's will be better.

I drove a new 370Z today - Admittedly it had that awful 7 speed auto transmission, but despite the reports its supposed to be lighter than the 350Z I found it bulkier and not so nimble or as agile. Has anyone else found the same? It also didn't seem anywhere near as quick or responsive as my 350Z.