Effects on handling/driveability

Komier

Hey guys,

See alot of great looking cars on here, with all different setups etc.

I'm interested in doing the same, but if I upgrade my wheels I want to go the whole hog.

19's, with 245 front, 275 rear tyres.

I'd like to lower it a bit so they fill the arches nicely... probably Teins lowering springs which are iirc 17mm front and 14mm rear?

Then to make sure they sit nicely stick some spacers in.

My question is how does all this effect the suspension, handling, fuel consumption... if at all.

Are there problems with this sort of setup rubbing in the arches or naffing the turning circle or anything like that.

Bit new on the actual mechanics of changing my wheel setup, never modified a car before :D

Dave

i decided against lowering, and last weekend reminded me why, i grounded out slightly on a speed bump. and it bent out the rubber aero strip on the underside of the front bumper. if i had been lowered i'd have ruined the front of the bumper.

have a look at Bullet magnets car, its not lowered but runs 19" and they look good.

Make sure you do your research on getting 19's - they will affect the handling if you get the wrong set.

I bought what are considered to be 'cheapies',as they were only £1k. They made the car handle terribly as they were too heavy and i ended up taking them off and returning to stock. They were awful.

have a look at Bullet magnets car, its not lowered but runs 19" and they look good.

Only happy to oblige...

19" Volk SF Challenge

Fronts are 9.5J with +28 offset

Rears are 10.5J with +23 offset

DSC01660.jpg

DSC01668.jpg

Oh and another thing to help with explaining offset...

Offset.jpg

I am on 19's lowered on coilovers and have a Varis lip and I hardly scrape anything,two speedbumps on our estate and it clears them.I won't go on the ramp at Nissan though :blush:

As has been said get the right offset and you won't need spacers,I run + 23 front + 22 rears fill the arches nicely.

Also worth pointing out that unless you buy really expensive wheels, you'll also be making your car slower due to the extra unsprung mass added. Most people don't care as they just want the looks, but you did mention about how new wheels could effect the handling so I thought I'd drop it in here as it's the worst place possible to add weight to the car. :)