had my car dyno'd today 300gt...not kool

sketch

went and watched my mate dyno his kit car with a fireblade engine in it, loads of cars being dyno'd fiestas and saxos etc... thought yeah id stick mine on, very ones asking what power I reckon'd it should be and what im expecting, so i said anything over 270bhp... being an early jap import (300GT model, the cars has a full service history with 37,000miles on it) with a fubjisubo exhaust and apexi filter i was really hoping for about 305 bhp, which i would be very pleased with, everyone crouded around as it looked alot smarter than most of the cars there 240.7bhp!!!! what a cop, thats is totally crap, and admitadly i felt quite a knob

i know the car is still limited to 120mph as its an import but its converted to mph not kph, i reckon im about 20% down on power, i know it needs new plugs soon but could that make so much differance? what else could limit the car to the point of losing 60bhp over standard? quite cheesed off tbh....

the guy said it mite be like the bmws, where the ecy sences the front wheels arnt moving and limits the total power output, but ive never heard anything like that before? so assuming its bs... yeah im gonna look into how much its costs for a proper re-map that removes the limiter too

the guy said it mite be like the bmws, where the ecy sences the front wheels arnt moving and limits the total power output, but ive never heard anything like that before? so assuming its bs... yeah im gonna look into how much its costs for a proper re-map that removes the limiter too

Wouldn't say thats true at the front wheels not moving as seen loads of Zeds Dyno'd and not have this problem. new plugs can have a big difference on performance. Also if you have mods like the exhaust and air filter you could actually lose power compared to stock without a re-map.

Abbey can sort you out a re-map, take the limiter off and give you greater response for about £400. Can't remember exact price but they have a package on one of their threads. Well worth a look at anyway though. :thumbs:

Don't be too gutted, I am sure its easily rectified with the right knowledge.

Am i right in saying a car loses power over time anyway?i know 50 odd bhp is a big loss but still. My old fto was 200bhp at the fly standard,after a bmc cda,decat back exhaust,new plugs,leads,fluids & having an Apexi Neo fitted i only managed an extra 19.5bhp over standard.

Just unfortunate that by the time itd got through the auto box to the wheels i ended up with 170.2bhp.

Now thats a big loss :lol:

I have a 53 and when I first Dyno'd it last year it got 270 at the fly, it was running on standard unleaded as well as that is what the previous owner used. I was quiet happy with that. Hopefully not its been running on the good stuff and once I manage to get to Abbey it should be all good.

dunno seems quite common that alot of zeds have bad dyno readings, sems a shame i have to spend nearly £400 on an ecu remap just to make figures close to what nissan state as standard... ill definatly do it as i love my car but it really is putting it to the test

Don't worry mate as I had a dyno about 3 weeks ago. Mines got full stainless zorst and pop charger and mine only managed 257BHP mine is an 05 roadster.......

You can actually lose power on the bolt on mods like I have done and not forgetting the older the car gets the more horses you will lose..... :thumbdown:

But hey who cares, as it's a great car...... so enjoy it.......... ;)

went and watched my mate dyno his kit car with a fireblade engine in it, loads of cars being dyno'd fiestas and saxos etc... thought yeah id stick mine on, very ones asking what power I reckon'd it should be and what im expecting, so i said anything over 270bhp... being an early jap import (300GT model, the cars has a full service history with 37,000miles on it) with a fubjisubo exhaust and apexi filter i was really hoping for about 305 bhp, which i would be very pleased with, everyone crouded around as it looked alot smarter than most of the cars there 240.7bhp!!!! what a cop, thats is totally crap, and admitadly i felt quite a knob

i know the car is still limited to 120mph as its an import but its converted to mph not kph, i reckon im about 20% down on power, i know it needs new plugs soon but could that make so much differance? what else could limit the car to the point of losing 60bhp over standard? quite cheesed off tbh....

If your car is an early JDM then it NEVER had 300 bhp from the factory, it would be 276 bhp. So really you've only lost 10% which could be down to your exhaust and age.

What were the IATs? What Apexi filter is it? How many WOT runs did they do on the dyno? If they strapped it up and did one run, it would have been heat soaked to hell and not running at full power. I have seen mine climb a good 10HP by doing multiple WOT runs and my pop charger lost me power I reckon as IATs were well above what they are on the road. With an 03 car, plenum spacer, pop charger and Nismo exhaust I got 280HP at the fly (240WHP).

How many runs did they do? Most zeds need at least 6 to 7 runs to show full power.

Did they hook up to the ECU? Not all CEL's show on the dash so you could have been trowing an error..

Did you reset the ECU?

From a few years of experience of dynos and mapping, not worth while unless you go somewhere that knows the Zed! And can do something about it if it is low on power!

Sounds like it was a 3rd gear run too, so that will have contributed.

Surely all CELs show on the dash Mark - as they are Check Engine Light? I know what you mean though, not all errors throw a CEL, only more major ones :)

Is it a skyline 300 you got or a 350Z GT spec? (ST)

If its is it sounds about right with the pulls you got:

Maximum power

(JIS) 263.6 PS (260.0 bhp) (193.9 kW)

@ 6400 rpm

Specific output 87 bhp/litre

1.43 bhp/cu in

Maximum torque

(JIS) 324.0 Nm (239 ft·lb) (33 kgm)

@ 4800 rpm

bmep 1363.1 kPa (197.7 psi)

Specific torque 108.47 Nm/litre

need a bit more info I'm afraid and a dyno sheet. Heatsoaking should not be the case really since they 'should' (would be nice) that the had a massive fan in front of the dyno to keep the engine cool. Again you'd see the heat soaking on the dyno sheet. :shrug:

I'm for 1 very confused :wacko:

Heatsoaking should not be the case really since they 'should' (would be nice) that the had a massive fan in front of the dyno to keep the engine cool. Again you'd see the heat soaking on the dyno sheet. :shrug:

I'm for 1 very confused :wacko:

When I got mine dyno'd on DynoDynamics, it had a massive fan in front of it and temps were 10C+ higher than when I was on the road doing the same speed, it was definately heat soaked. I am assuming he has an open Apexi cone, if its enclosed then that should not be the case. The graph may show IATs if they had a sensor hooked up or hooked up the ECU.

+1 on being confused though :wacko:

Surely all CELs show on the dash Mark - as they are Check Engine Light? I know what you mean though, not all errors throw a CEL, only more major ones :)

Yeh, not all show (really dont know why!) but they will retard the engine in some ways. Weird one cause if you dont have a light how do ou know there is an issue!! :wacko:

Yeh 3rd gear will have been contributory (sp!) but still showing low, saw on the other site it ran out at 79mph, thought 3rd ran out more at about 85/87 and 4th runs out at about 98. There was a listing somewhere, but cant remember if that was rolling in a certain gear or from dead stop going up through the gears!

Yeh, not all show (really dont know why!) but they will retard the engine in some ways. Weird one cause if you dont have a light how do ou know there is an issue!! :wacko:

The only possible explaination I can ever come up with is it doesnt throw a CEL for intermittent problems which it decides isnt enough to be a problem to look at. Dont know what specific codes do and dont throw a CEL though. You would hope it wouldnt be anything permenant or damaging to the engine though!

its a 2003 import 350z, i know its a gt model but i was told it was the 296 version??? it only had 2 dynod runs, it was just a cheap dyno day not a tune up session ect.

fair point it may need 6 or 7 runs but whats the point of that for a road car then? the figures mite be more reliable but its just not realistic of actually being on the road?

-------------------------------------------------------

right and also i went and spoke to the bloke today as i couldnt figure out why it was so low,

1, he dyno'd it in 3rd not 4th

2, he opened my bonnet and saw the apexi filter and said i should have run with my bonnet up, but it was closed at the time on the dyno...

3, he said he thinks my car needs a remap to run right with my mods

so atleast ive got something to work on i guess?