Dont be so quick to throw away your old NES games

kObi

It makes me sick that people have so much money to waste on something so useless. Antiques I can understand, buying a piece of history - I used to buy and sell antique furniture as a hobby many years ago, a lot of pieces I kept - owning something 400 odd years old means something to me. I actually bought my ex-wife an amulet in Egypt from a dodgy dealer for £75 - when we got home the British Museum dated it to be 100BC - RESULT!!!! This would never be sold though - its a REAL piece of history.

Anyway, I digress - spending all that money on a 20 year old crappy computer game is totally mad!

It makes me sick that people have so much money to waste on something so useless. Antiques I can understand, buying a piece of history - I used to buy and sell antique furniture as a hobby many years ago, a lot of pieces I kept - owning something 400 odd years old means something to me. I actually bought my ex-wife an amulet in Egypt from a dodgy dealer for £75 - when we got home the British Museum dated it to be 100BC - RESULT!!!! This would never be sold though - its a REAL piece of history.

Anyway, I digress - spending all that money on a 20 year old crappy computer game is totally mad!

100BC, cool!!

I know what you're saying about wasting money, but if it means something to you, then its worth it (not $41k though, but depends how rich you are).

For me it probably would be computer games... Buying a brand new game and then taking it home, the best part was always taking the wrapper off and putting it in for the first time... One of my most significant memories is playing Fifa 94 on the snes for the first time... and to own the game still sealed would take you back to that moment of anticipation... :cloud9:

I think the original Manhunt on PS2 would be worth something... the auction above says the game is worth so much because it was recalled... i know they recalled Manhunt after just a few weeks on the shelves... and then re-released a toned down version.

I sadly missed the whole nes/snes scene. I went commodore 64, megadrive, megadrive 2 and megacd then ps1 and so forth. I think if i was introduced to mario kart when it first came out i wouldnt of touched a megadrive. Well that or duck hunt with the gun, that looked awesome! think the megadrive had a gun game but cant remember.

I sadly missed the whole nes/snes scene. I went commodore 64, megadrive, megadrive 2 and megacd then ps1 and so forth. I think if i was introduced to mario kart when it first came out i wouldnt of touched a megadrive. Well that or duck hunt with the gun, that looked awesome! think the megadrive had a gun game but cant remember.

Thats a good idea, post your console history...!

Megadrive '89

Snes '94

Atari Jaguar '96

N64 '97

PSone '98

Dreamcast '99

PS2 '2001?

Then i got on eBay and bought every other mainstream console again... :lol: That said, to this day i've never owned a Nes or a Saturn.

I might be the only person that doesn't have a console history. They never interested me, I didn't sit in as a kid, and they wonder why kids are obese these days lol.

I'm with you. just never had the interest. Prefered football, drinking & women ;) what some people would call a LIFE.

I might be the only person that doesn't have a console history. They never interested me, I didn't sit in as a kid, and they wonder why kids are obese these days lol.

I'm with you. just never had the interest. Prefered football, drinking & women ;) what some people would call a LIFE.

Yeh but when you were a teenager the height of computer gaming would be writing 'SHELL.OIL' on a calculator :lol:

Seriously though, absolutely nothing wrong with gaming... in my early teens i was out playing footy every single day, even in the dark in the winter, but then after tea with my mates round, we'd stay in and play computer games... Beer and women didnt start until i was 15 ;)

Come to think of it, theirs a game i miss, destruction derby! that would be awesome if it was remade these days! Wipeout was amazing too, still remember the prodigy song they had for it...actually i think it was prodigy...now that i think about it, wasnt it firestarter?

Here was me thinking you could only spell boobs on a calculator :lol:

Come to think of it, theirs a game i miss, destruction derby! that would be awesome if it was remade these days! Wipeout was amazing too, still remember the prodigy song they had for it...actually i think it was prodigy...now that i think about it, wasnt it firestarter?

Here was me thinking you could only spell boobs on a calculator :lol:

Destruction Derby was awesome B)

Yeh but when you were a teenager the height of computer gaming would be writing 'SHELL.OIL' on a calculator :lol:

Seriously though, absolutely nothing wrong with gaming... in my early teens i was out playing footy every single day, even in the dark in the winter, but then after tea with my mates round, we'd stay in and play computer games... Beer and women didnt start until i was 15 ;)

Haha that made me laugh :p I can't talk for maccaman but I'm only 24, I was growing up when gaming was really taking off. I just don't find I have time to play consoles really.

I understand where your going with this but it's always been this way? Victorians loved those artefacts from history the Post war generation loved

Victorian stuff. People in the 50's though wanted to look forward ( just like during the Art Deco

period) but when we look at 50's stuff

we think it's really olde worlde and love to collect it! So it goes on now everyone is making a fuss about 80's stuff yet again! I remember the first home computers and still

have my Vic 20 but I don't see it as something precious but then there

has been a shift in Technology from the handmade egyptian artefacts to mass produced stuff fro the 50's to virtual products of today such as software and firmware? People will remember specific leaps in technology and have fond memories of them hence this is the collectables market - someone crap is another persons dream :D but like you I have no interest with computer games never have even though IT is my job.