Ferrari 166

Envy Valeting

Well, a rare old beast has been taking up my time this week.

Its a 1949 Ferrari 166, one of Ferrari's 1st ever road cars and its look may not appeal to all!

DSC03907.jpg

DSC03908.jpg

DSC03909.jpg

DSC03910.jpg

Foamed at low pressure and low concentration

DSC03911.jpg

Rinsed and washed with Espuma Astro.

Clayed with Dodo gentle grey, not a lot came off and the paint was very smooth already.

PTG readings taken ready to machine and defects photographed. The previous owner either dried with a blade or had a gritty car cover.

Bad swirls but a LOT of RDS's which were to take a lot of chasing out as you'll see!

DSC03914.jpg

DSC03915.jpg

DSC03916.jpg

DSC03918.jpg

DSC03919.jpg

DSC03920.jpg

Not 100% correction but certainly much better.

DSC03921.jpg

DSC03922.jpg

DSC03923.jpg

The heart of the car is a 2.0l V12, small but perfectly formed. The differance between this cars engine and the race version was the race cars ran 3 carbs (instead of 1 here) and had higher compression.

DSC03925.jpg

2 days later and 15.5hrs of machining took us to this stage now. Wax time, allow me to introduce Chemical Guys E-zyme. I got this from David at Car wash n wax and it smells amazing. 1st time I've used it. Very easy to apply, and easy to apply too much. Only needs a really thin layer to be effective.

DSC03926.jpg

On a panel at a time and buffed after a few mins. David said on for as long or short as you want, it wont cause any trouble. I opted for the shorter time as time was getting on.

DSC03928.jpg

DSC03929.jpg

DSC03930.jpg

DSC03931.jpg

DSC03932.jpg

DSC03933.jpg

DSC03934.jpg

DSC03935.jpg

DSC03936.jpg

DSC03937.jpg

Based upon the wax's performance its one to keep:)

To follow hopefully the wheels and tyres, polishing all metal work, interior etc.

Time spent so far 20.5hrs

Hope you like it.

Tim

ps if anyone can advise on a product to buff/fill marks in perspex I'd welcome suggestions

One word - awesome B)

That has got to be worth a lot of wonga. I'm sure when Stan sees this he will be creaming his pants :lol: As ever superb work Tim.

:repost: of your own at 12.05 :lol: are you trying for the role of spam king keith?

Forum glitch me thinks..... Just happened to me 3 times!

If you have times and dates of the glitch we can look into it. Usually its a dodgy internet connection at the users end, as Martin will testify on his USB dongle! Raise a new thread in the Site Suggestions & Feedback section.