Parking the zed late at night / steering locks

cerealuk

Only had the zed a few days now and dreading my weekly poker night..

The problem is I have to park in a public car park which when I get there (around 8pm) is fairly full but by the time I finish poker its about 1am and the carpark is usually empty apart from my car + 2 or 3 others.

Being bright orange doesnt really help matters either lol. Its not a particularly sketchy area, but lots of cars and people drive past the carpark so it will be on view easily.

I was thinking of how best to secure the car and make it obvious and wondered what you guys thought about steering wheel locks? Thought it would be a nice visual thing. Also seen a few alarms which txt your phone if set off (ill be about 2mins run away from the car park)

Any thoughts or advice? How do you guys get round this problem?

I wouldn't bother. It's only a car and not a really expensive one like a Ferrari or Lambo, so chavs will either be less likely to do damage or will do it anyway. Don't worry, you've just got a case of the Early Ownership Paranoias, you'll soon get over it. ;)

If your zed is standard and your not leaving anything in it (iPod, CD player fascia, sat nav, etc) then it should be ok in an OK area.

Only real time to worry is its parked in a dodgy area (you'll be asking for trouble).

I've got a steering lock and put it on - can't hurt can it?

I think I read somewhere that theives aren't usually after the actual car itself these days, but more what is in them.

If your zed is standard and your not leaving anything in it (iPod, CD player fascia, sat nav, etc) then it should be ok in an OK area.

Only real time to worry is its parked in a dodgy area (you'll be asking for trouble).

I've got a steering lock and put it on - can't hurt can it?

I think I read somewhere that theives aren't usually after the actual car itself these days, but more what is in them.

Yep agree with that. Keep everything out of sight, including satnav and ipod power cables.

Generally car ringers these days are the type that come along with low loaders with cranes on them, if anyone asks (apart from police!) they just say are removing due to illegally parked. So a crooklock aint gonna help. Just make sure your alarm is working and you have the right insurance..

Early ownership paranoia like Ekona said! Drive and enjoy it :)

don't worry about it, not much you can do really. I got a steering wheel lock from Halfords but it normally just gets left in the garage unless I know I'm going to a nasty area. If it helps you relax then get one, they are only £50 or so.

Heard of very few zeds being stolen...

I totally understrand where your coming from.Ive got to the stage now where when i go to see my girlfriend at uni in sheffield monday im going on the train :thumbdown: Im totally paranoid leaving it in a big car park RIGHT behind her uni flat,even though i can see it out the living room & her bedroom window.

The time before last that i went some **** student knicked my drivers wiper & bent the hook part at the end,ontop of that itd just finished throwing it down before i went to the car.I wasnt impressed :angry: Now everytime i wake up when i stay over i get up & check the car.With zeds it doesnt seem to matter if its standard or not,they stand out in a car park,especially an empty one,against clios etc etc.Two gobby mullered lads were taking photos of mine when i checked out the window,got paranoid when i saw all the footprints around my car in the snow.Luckily when i left at half 4 in the mornin nothin had been touched this time

You guys are probably right, im very paranoid lol, think I may invest in a big steering lock to put my mind at ease a little...

Worst case scenario Im of course fully insured :)

Seriously, it takes about 5 mins to remove those things. The Zed has an immobiliser, you dont need any more, if they try to nick it they wont get anywhere. Steering lock just screams try and nick me to me, it taunts people to think there is a reason to nick it. If someone wants it, a steering lock really wont do anything :)