Custom made LED Reflectors NOW INCL INDICATORS

marzman

Hi all,

I've not spoken to the mods about this yet so not sure what the protocol is, but i've started to make LED front reflectors.

I've finally finished my first one tonight... 7x Superbright white 5mm LED's...!

The back has been cut off the standard reflector, holes drilled through the front and the LED's mounted in these holes. The wiring is in the unit itself, and i have then filled it with clear silicone to protect against moisture causing short circuits etc.

I've tested this with my 12v power supply in the house, but have not yet hooked it up to the car... So i'll be putting them on this weekend.

I want to run them for a month before i start offering them for sale, incase any issues crop up... i dont want to be held responsible for blowing any of your fuses... :lol:

Also this weekend i will be attempting to make a prototype complete replacement for the reflectors, as they're just an unnecessary cost imho... so watch this space for that.

Lastly, im considering adding in some amber LED's for the indicators, but this may be impossible due to space constraints... would anyone be interested in this?

Price-wise, if using the standard reflectors, i think £40 incl p&p on a part-exchange basis, or £55 if you're buying them outright? If you want to p/x your orange reflectors, add a fiver as i'll be spraying them black.

Opinions/criticisms very welcome here, and mods if i shouldnt be posting this, please remove it. :thumbs:

Cheers.

IMG_0427.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0430.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_0434.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question,

I'm led to believe the front reflectors are different sizes from the MY06 to the MY08, is this true and which MY are you doing these for, I have a MY08 and am interested

Hi Boycey. The units im making so far have been for the pre-facelift cars, but there's no reason that this cant be applied to the newer shape reflectors. If i can get hold of a set at a decent price i'll be making some up... :thumbs:

Everyone else, thanks for the interest. :thumbs: I'll be furthering the R&D this weekend and will keep you posted.

im interested in these. do you have them fitted to your car? because next time am at my sisters in macc id like to have a gander if that isnt to cheeky?

Hi mate,

I should be fitting them to my car this weekend, so you are more than welcome to drop in and see them anytime... :thumbs:

Well, i spent all day working on these yesterday... i decided to make my own from scratch... That was a lot of effort!

First though, here are the standard reflectors fitted with 7x superbright white LED's. These are taking me about 5 hours to make, so £40 P&P is a bargain... :lol: These are now on my car being 'tested' to make sure they can handle the weather etc.

Off...

106_0001.jpg

106_0002.jpg

On...

106_0007.jpg

106_0008.jpg

106_0004.jpg

Next up are the ones i made from scratch. I got some 2mm plastic and made the basic shape... they dont need to be perfect as the majority of them is hidden, but i needed to get the curve right that will be on show. I then drilled holes for 14 LED's...!

I wired a circuit for these to have all white LED's, which can be seen in the pics. However, they are very bright, and probably overkill, so when my amber LED's arrive later this week i will be having one row of white and one row of amber on a separate circuit for the indicators. I have now also sprayed these black since taking the pics. I think i'll be running these on my car permanently when they're finished.

In terms of selling them, i dont know if i'll bother as the effort required is too much to still charge a reasonable price. :wacko:

IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

Lastly, i was experimenting with black mesh, with LED's behind. It actually looked okay...!

IMG_0445.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg

No worries mate could you give me a quote for the 14 LED ones i dont mind paying the extra for them. Can pm me if you want to send me the price.

They're nothing fancy, they're literally a sheet of plastic cut to shape, so i dont think they'll interest you, especially for what they'll cost. At the moment i'd probably have to say about £90 for these due to the effort involved , and they are far from oem quality :lol:

Although if a few people are genuinely interested in these, i could look into getting the parts made professionally... :shrug:

Lastly, i cant put that many LED's in the standard reflectors, as the plastic is too brittle to drill that many holes in. :dry:

106_0009.jpg

106_0010.jpg

106_0011.jpg

106_0012.jpg