Knocking sound when driving

linkster

I've read through the American forums and sent links on all I could find to my local garage, who had the 54 plate 40k miles in all of yesterday trying to track down this noise that's just started - basically a thump or rattle, even on straight road, but not constant.

had four new tyres recently and the front brake pads replaced.

They cannot find any worn parts but he thinks it's the suspension on the way out and wants to start replacing cheapest parts first, starting with the drop links.

Just thought I'd post and see if there was any advice

engine mounts

exhaust knocking

droplinks knackered or dry

track rod ends

worn suspension bushes

thanks! 3 of the 5 they've already mentioned to me as suspects, but obviously we don't know for sure without replacing them, so as mentioned he's starting with the cheapest one first. Here's hoping it doesn't get too expensive!!

• 1 month later...

Ok, am £80 poorer and no further on. If I was in any position to drive to Alex who has been incredibly helpful I would, but my local garage unfortunately doesn't seem very interested in following the advice given.

I tried calling Antelope Nissan in Banbury who couldn't have been less helpful, telling me they'd charge to even diagnose the problem.

In short then, can anyone advise a reputable garage in the Midlands (I'm near Daventry) to whom I could pass the info I have and act on it in a helpful way?

"Gentle knocking from front suspension when going v slowly down rutted tracks (fine on the roads) - (ABR links? Lower balljoints?)"

I had this - worst when going slowly over raised road markings like the chevrons outside a school

changed drop links LHS & RHS

changed lower suspension arms LHS & RHS

changed upper wishbone LHS only

No change except getting louder - still only at low speed over very small bumps :thumbdown:

At this point I started thinking about selling

changed tie bar LHS (really a strut as it's always in compression)( nicknamed 'banana bar' on here)

Eureka :yahoo:

front suspension.pdf

My money's on the banana bar (number 11 in the *.pdf)