Motorbike or not?

350zStephen

I've been thinking about getting a bike licence for the past few months. With the nice weather coming in, i'm looking at getting a nice wee 600cc number.

Anyone on here got a bike? I'm not exactly clued up, but what are good bikes? I've been looking at Honda CBR's and Kawasaki ZX6R's as they look nice! :lol:

Any idea's what insurance is going to be like for a 21 year old, that has just obtained a licence, and 4years ncb driving cars? I would only be doing 1 - 2 k miles a year, and the bike would be garaged.

Many thanks, and sorry for the stupid questions.

I've been thinking about getting a bike licence for the past few months. With the nice weather coming in, i'm looking at getting a nice wee 600cc number.

Anyone on here got a bike? I'm not exactly clued up, but what are good bikes? I've been looking at Honda CBR's and Kawasaki ZX6R's as they look nice! :lol:

Any idea's what insurance is going to be like for a 21 year old, that has just obtained a licence, and 4years ncb driving cars? I would only be doing 1 - 2 k miles a year, and the bike would be garaged.

Many thanks, and sorry for the stupid questions.

i just went and got my CBT, cost me 100 quid

the guy said to get your bike licence is about 700 quid?

im not looking at getting a bike at the moment but i will watch this thread with interest as the petrol head deamons are on my shoulder whispering naughty things in my ear

I have my license and have a ZX6R.

No idea on insurance, get some quotes but have NCD on a car doesn't mean a thing..... ebike have always been cheapest for me and their site is very to use and get loads of quotes on for different bikes.

It's not cheap to get set up. You'll need £700 min to get your license and then £1000 roughly for gear.

No idea on insurance, get some quotes but have NCD on a car doesn't mean a thing..... ebike have always been cheapest for me and their site is very to use and get loads of quotes on for different bikes.

It's not cheap to get set up. You'll need £700 min to get your license and then £1000 roughly for gear.

You dont NEED to spend £1000 on gear

funny_pictures_Bikini_Motorcycle.jpg

(joking of course)

I'd love a bike but I really do have to ask myself if I am sensible enough to ride one :blush:

Being a biker for the last 20 yrs :scare: as you can guess my insurance is fairly cheap now. Another good company to look at would be MCD

http://www.motorcycledirect.co.uk/

I sold my gixxer 1000 last year to by myself a more comfortable ride, so went and bought a 08 Kawasaki Z1000 :yahoo: so 2 zed's in the family now B) ...Also having had a ZX9 big bro to the ZX6, I would say that they are a great allround kinda bike,

A freind of mine did her test last year and this was direct access and all in all cost her

1 – Theory £35

2 – CBT £125

3 – 3 day direct access £550

4 – Test fees for Mod 1 and 2 £90

What he said. I did direct access at 21 and got insurnance for £600/yr on miminal miles on an R6. I wouldnt suggest getting a 600cc supersport as your first bike though. I used to ride MTB and a bit of motorcross messing around so already fairly happy with bike physics and a 600cc SS will blow your mind. You can go so fast, you cant even think fast enough to react if something happens. You really need to already have very good reactions before stepping on one. Get a 125CC and learn its limits then get a bigger bike, or get a Hornet 600 or soemthing similar which is a bit slower and more upright, will teach you to handle it better :drive1

That's a lot of money to look like a power ranger....... ;):lol:

Better a power ranger than having your skin scrubbed off with a scrubbing brush. Yes, that is how they deal with gravel rash.....

Full leathers all the way!

get a road legal quad and drive it on your car licence :D sold mine a few months ago will definately be getting another one soon great in the summer and you dont have to wear a helmet {adviseable though}

Quads are cool, didn't even think you could just drive those on a normal car license in this country.

Just noticed this, but I believe your NCD wont make any difference to a quote for a motorbike. :thumbdown:

I'd love a bike but I really do have to ask myself if I am sensible enough to ride one :blush:

:lol: I have had 3 big off's in my time on bikes and I thought after the first one that would have put me off, but did it???..... no, so I guess im just :bang::bangin:

TBH its like the old age argument of marmite, either you like bikes or you hate them, but then again I like marmite and I like bikes (in the words of harry hill ......FIGHT!!!).

get a road legal quad and drive it on your car licence :D sold mine a few months ago will definately be getting another one soon great in the summer and you dont have to wear a helmet {adviseable though}

Quads are cool, didn't even think you could just drive those on a normal car license in this country.

yea just standard car licence insurance is pretty cheap also

Ive always been a big fan of motor bikes ....... However.....

I was in Thailand a few years back and I got talking to a dude in a wheel chair, he had no arms, just stumps... The guy was an ex pat, his mistake was riding around on a big powerful bike in just a tshirt and shorts, one particular day a taxi pulled out on him on a main road while he was doing around 70/80, he didnt stand a chance..... instinctively stook his hands out in front of him and slid, he said he sore his hands and arms literally grind down to the bone to his elbow, apparently the road had what looked like chalk lines on it but that was the bones in his arms leaving a track on the tarmac.

:Note: I am not a serious person (those who have met me know that), I rarely post serious things...... I woudnt preach to anyone but this experience made me think twice about bikes. Other road users don't see bikes so take extra special care and don't scrimp on safety wear, get the best gear you can afford as it might save your life or stop you from living the rest of your life like that guy I met.

Take care guys

Ive always been a big fan of motor bikes ....... However.....

I was in Thailand a few years back and I got talking to a dude in a wheel chair, he had no arms, just stumps... The guy was an ex pat, his mistake was riding around on a big powerful bike in just a tshirt and shorts, one particular day a taxi pulled out on him on a main road while he was doing around 70/80, he didnt stand a chance..... instinctively stook his hands out in front of him and slid, he said he sore his hands and arms literally grind down to the bone to his elbow, apparently the road had what looked like chalk lines on it but that was the bones in his arms leaving a track on the tarmac.

:Note: I am not a serious person (those who have met me know that), I rarely post serious things...... I woudnt preach to anyone but this experience made me think twice about bikes. Other road users don't see bikes so take extra special care and don't scrimp on safety wear, get the best gear you can afford as it might save your life or stop you from living the rest of your life like that guy I met.

Take care guys

the first few hours of my cbt were being told how many ways i could die. im not in a hurry

got my bike licence at 17m no cbt or theory back then, just put on L=plates and wobble about until your test date, ride round the block 3 times and stop when the block sticks his hand out.

Think about getting another bike every summer, then remember how wet, cold and dangerous it is

i did a direct access about 3-4yrs ago. Bought myself a one year old zx6r (636cc) and MY GOD it was insanely fast - you really cant believe until you experience it first hand just HOW quick you can go. Sold it after a year or so and bought a zx10r - same experience all over again = that thing was an animal!

Bikeless now though (sold to save money and get mortgage) but would love to get another. I did ride like a bit of a prat with my mates and got chased a fair few times by certain men in uniform but there are SOOOO many unmarked cop cars now it's crazy!

Great fun but risky for license and more importantly, life.