Oil Pressure - whats yours in the cold???

adammitch69

I think people need to be aware that the light means

LOW OIL PRESSURE, AND NOT LOW LEVEL.

and that if it does come on you are/or garage is guilty of not checking your oil level,

and be aware that there is a strong chance you have fooked your engine :doh:

no your wrong again, it means NO OIL PRESSURE

Strictly he's right - "This light warns of low oil pressure" to quote the manual - no idea what the threshold is for triggering it, but that implies it comes on below a certain pressure rather than at 0 psi

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think people need to be aware that the light means

LOW OIL PRESSURE, AND NOT LOW LEVEL.

and that if it does come on you are/or garage is guilty of not checking your oil level,

and be aware that there is a strong chance you have fooked your engine :doh:

no your wrong again, it means NO OIL PRESSURE

OK pedant! but it amounts to the same thing, and in fact the light will come on at low pressure! try it! :p

your welcome to

interesting find about the TSB - I'll give my local dealer (Halifax) a call tomorrow. Obviously the first thing they'll say is what is a TSB?? ha ha

I'll be checking the oil level everyweek now.

I'll update on what the dealer says to me tomorrow.

lol yeah they will :lol:

red light means stop and do not pass go... knew that already fingers crossed...and if you focked it go with a stroker kit :thumbs:

Do Z's normaly use a lot of oil?

My oil level appears to have hardly moved in the last 8 months(although the dipstick is properly rubish!)

In my opinion no but the way the engine has been treated, run in and so on will affect this. Some of the 05 or 06 rev up engines use more.

I let my oil get REALLY low once (dipstick not long enough, needed over 3 liters iirc). Since then I have checked it regularly and it hasn't lost any (as far as I can measure with the dipstick) even though I am doing a pretty high number of miles now :shrug:. Either way, it got properly low and it hasn't caused me any problems. No lights came on tho.

Well. I have a friend who works somewhere in the depths of Nissan HQ. She kindly passed on my query and apparantly customer services will be in contact via email at some point.

I'll let you all know what they say, if and when they get back to me.

nice one :thumbs:

Well. I have a friend who works somewhere in the depths of Nissan HQ. She kindly passed on my query and apparantly customer services will be in contact via email at some point.

I'll let you all know what they say, if and when they get back to me.

What do you want to know? Customer services arent the most techically competant people in the world, I can email the product manager direct if you have a specific query.

Oh :)

My car is using a bit of oil. There's a TSB that's pinned on the US forum that states that if oil usage over 1000 miles is greater than 8mm on the dip stick then it could warrant an engine change. I haven't done any official measurements on my car yet. But in the first isntance, I was wondering if Nissan UK would honour a TSB (which seems to list only US 06 model cars) if the problem does actually exist on my car.

I'll see what they have to say. I'm sure this has been covered on this site before, you have to be using a serious amount of oil before they will do anything and if you are out of warrenty, then I think you will be out of luck tbh.

Sounds about right Chris. I nearly bought a Honda S2000 a few years back instead of the Zed. It was a great car to drive, but the lack of any T/C on older models, and the fact that Honda consider 1L of oil per 1000 miles to be 'acceptable' kinda put me off. I drive fairly high miles each year (mainly for pleasure!) and the thought of checking the ruddy oil before each drive was a no-no for me. Cracking car to drive though ! I think i get through about 400ml of oil between 5k services on my Zed. Roughly a quarter of the dipstick...but the dipstick is probably lying to me. I bet it's not drinking any oil at all, just hiddng it on the crappy dipstick :lol:

That's the issue they had in the US. Nissan were fobbing people off saying it was normal usage. It was only with lots of bitching and whining, and gnashing of teeth that got a TSB issued in the first place.

I'm just thinking maybe Nissan Uk need someone to shove it in their face before they'll admit it over here too! :)

That's the issue they had in the US. Nissan were fobbing people off saying it was normal usage. It was only with lots of bitching and whining, and gnashing of teeth that got a TSB issued in the first place.

I'm just thinking maybe Nissan Uk need someone to shove it in their face before they'll admit it over here too! :)

I thought it was in the US, they stepped in when it was using more than that. But re-reading the bit about the TSB, you are right :blush:

I spoke to the chap I know in Nissan and he says he is unaware of a TSB for it, but also stressed that he isnt in technical himself so there could well be. He said its their policy that you go to the dealer to have it looked at, sorry he couldnt help any more :shrug:

So looks like you are stuck with Customer Services unless you have a particularly good dealer. There is a good will process in place dependant on your cars age and milage though, so you might get lucky. I'd sure as hell be mad if my car was using 8+ litres between services (roughly 1l per 1000 miles)! :scare:

Thanks anyway Chrissy. You get a kiss too :kissing:

Im not sure how much it's using at the mo, as it's only just come to my attention. Hence all the research regarding it. I was initially just going to monitor usage, and if it was high, well, just chalk it up to a slightly greedy engine with not much I could do, unless it got really serious. Adlidy above then posted the TSB and it grabbed my interest!

I've had a message back from my friend asking if I'd like to take the car into one of the Nissan Garages, as they ARE apparently aware of a problem with oil usage. What exactly that means, and what if any liability they would accept if a problem exists, I don't know!

Techincally isnt an oil drinking better as it always being topped up with fresh oil? That is considering it is topped up all the time.

Technically NO! :scare:

Consider the reasons for it using oil,1- severe bore/piston ring wear, 2- you will be loosing power because of this, 3- you are killing your cats because of the increased loading on them, not to mention the increased hydrocarbon output from the former not working correctly, need i go on :surrender:

The above precludes there being a large leak ;)

• 1 month later...

BUMP on this thread for a quick update.

I took the car into my local Nissan dealer in Eastcote/ruislip. I got Nissan UK customer services to instigate an oil consumption test. So they've done a quick initial reading, for me to take back in approx 1000 miles to measure any oil used.

The dorris at service reception was telling me how she'd never heard of a 350 using oil, rah rah rah. I told her some do, specifically the REVUP 06's and GT4s. Just as I was leaving the service manager came out and asked me how much oil it was using. I said approximately a litre every thousand miles, to which he came back with "that sounds reasonable, and within normal levels". Unfortunately I was already late for an interview so I had to split before arguing the toss with him.

Needless to say, the TSB states more than a 3rd of a litre (or quart to be precise) is in the "NOT GOOD" range. Incidentally I rang up Watford Nissan to enquire about servicing and the guy new exactly what I was talking about regarding the oil, and said it would require an engine replacement, as per the TSB.

So I don't know where I stand right now, but I guess I'll see in a week or so, when I take the car back in.

If anyone wants to move this into a separate thread so it can be monitored separately, be my guest!

I still can't get my head around anyone thinking it OK to use 1lt of oil every thousand miles!

the VQ35DE or VR are what should be termed as " modern" engine designs, but having said that engine design has not changed very much in the last 25years,but materials have, and supposedly for the better!

Having owned quite a few different vehicles, with lots of different engines, including some old bikes, and at no time have i had an engine that used anywhere near that amount of oil, unless it was seriously fooked!

Now i am still awaiting delivery of my Skyline 350GT, with 50K on the clock, and i am getting seriously worried that the dam thing is going to have an alcoholics tendencies for oil,

However i have been doing a little research and have found a lot of reports of quite significant amounts of oil being burnt due to the PCV system, apparently they generate a fair bit of oil vapour,

(which also worries me) but maybe due to the design of the PCV system, more than the usual amount of oil is being drawn into the plenum and burnt, (which by the way does nothing for performance)

It seems a lot of the US and UK 350GT owners use a catch tank, and with good results, it has been found to cut the amount of oil that get burnt by the engine, and quite significant amounts are being found in the catch tanks, which could go to explaining the heavy oil consumption of these engines.

So this is probably worth a try, i have always fitted some form of catch tank on all of my turbo cars, as oil in the combustion process will lower the octane rating of whatever fuel that is used, which with forced induction is a big no no.

I am inclined to think that Nissan know exactly the reasons for these problems. but refuse to act until there is pressure from the right quarter ;)

TBH I don't think my engine uses a litre every 1000 on reflection. I think it's probably just enough to fit within the guidelines of the TSB.

Whether or not they'll honour it with it being over 3 years old and 30k miles we'll see. But I thought i'd keep this topic updated, as surprisingly few people are aware of this engine replacement in the UK!

TBH I don't think my engine uses a litre every 1000 on reflection. I think it's probably just enough to fit within the guidelines of the TSB.

Whether or not they'll honour it with it being over 3 years old and 30k miles we'll see. But I thought i'd keep this topic updated, as surprisingly few people are aware of this engine replacement in the UK!

:thumbs: keep it going, fingers crossed they'll do what the SHOULD be doing...