LEDS all round

sparky370z

hi there people i would like to replace all the lamps around the car with LED ones.

i would also like to change the sidelight lamps as they produce a dim light in comparison to the xenon headlamps. is it difficult to change them?

would i be able to put LED lamps in the rear light cluster? (i dont have the money to buy proper LED ones at the mo.)

what lamps would i need and is it difficult?

cheers for any help!

Sparky

hi there people i would like to replace all the lamps around the car with LED ones.

i would also like to change the sidelight lamps as they produce a dim light in comparison to the xenon headlamps. is it difficult to change them?

would i be able to put LED lamps in the rear light cluster? (i dont have the money to buy proper LED ones at the mo.)

what lamps would i need and is it difficult?

cheers for any help!

Sparky

i specced some for bennet a while back via PM and he said they are all good, i will check when i get back from my meeting. although if you prod search theres a few threads about this

Sides are 501's

Interior Boot are 501's

Dome's are 30mm festoon

Rear number plate lights are 501's too

:thumbs:

:thumbs: seems ok to me :) for the interior boot its best to get one that projects sideways, like so:

501_1.5w_led_white.jpg

and for the dome light get one like this:

t-17265-755.jpeg

not like this: (the large metal heat sink block will short the terminals causing permanent damage)

DE3175_1W_sm.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I did look where biscuit said but got a bit confused.lol.I changed just about everything worth changing in my fto from the old scabby greeny jap colur to white,red or blue leds. Sounds a mish mash but it was like needles in red,aircon panel & buttons in blue & white interior leds.something like that anyway.

Is the courtesy light a straight forward swap?

• 1 month later...

and for the dome light get one like this:

t-17265-755.jpeg

I put these dome lights in today, but noticed when they're off there is a very dim glow from them. does this mean they are drawing a small amount of current? anyone else got these from autobulbs?

its just a tiny tiny amount of current flowing due to the nature of the control circuitry for them. its so tiny you'd never run anything down on it, plus it will go off after a while.

EDIT: this would still be flowing in the stock filament ones just its not enough to light them, these LED ones probably draw 20mA per led so its next to nothing when they are really dim

• 3 months later...
Cheers Husky! I didn't lurk in the darkness long enough to see them go off :lol:

I got these http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/501194t10-mini-light-tower-leds-xenon-white-lumen-p-2169.html

for sidelights and they are really bright and look even whiter than the xenons :teeth:

I took my car for an MOT last week, I noticed the LEDs (above) that I'd put in had disintegrated!

Either the temperature of the xenons or the vibration whilst driving (or combination of both) had caused over half the LEDs (yellow circles) to fall off, now they're loose in the headlamp unit :bangin:

they still look better than the normal sidelight bulbs but now need to sort them asap before they die altogether

Anyone had any similar problems?

ouch, i imagine it could get hot enough to melt some cheap soldering i suppose :(

you'd be better with the solid ones, one of the online led shops used to give you a free pair of solid ones with a big enough purchase. dont know if they still do. these ones just look like a giant led