Long distance MPG

stuRS

Hi all,

I'm planning on driving down to Italy in the summer, which is about a 2000 mile round trip.

at £70 a tank at the mpg I get around town, I'm looking at 10 tanks, or....gulp...£700 in fuel.

I seem to remember getting about 350 miles from my JDM a couple of years ago, but has anyone got an recent figures, and how much is petrol on the continent?

Cheers,

Stu

I can get 400 miles on a UK tank (bigger than JDM) at cruising miles. When I did the jockland hoon which was similar milage, I think I filled up 5-6 times, at £75 a pop, which would be £450 for fuel at UK prices, so not as bad as you are imagining. That does depend on how much of it is cruising and how much of it is hooning :teeth:

I v driven from bari-italy to rotterdam in my maserati....and although i had the hood down i still had a severe itch on my right foot....

basically italy was 100-120mph cruising and germany either 120-140mph or stuck in traffic as they do loads of road works...

i really think that you wont be able to cruise at 70mph all the time unless you are following smbd...you will give in and proper hammer it!!! ;):lol::lol::lol:

as a result i never bothered with average mpg (especially when crossing the alps)... i think it was aroung 17mpg or smth... so in the Zed i should have done about 18-19mpg.... :thumbs:

Managed to get from Frankfurt to Duxford (via Dunkerque - Dover) on one tank of fuel and was hammering it through Germany; bit slower in Belgium and France though. Followed by a drive all the way through England and over to the west coast of Scotland and back again to Frankfurt. Think it came to about 6 tanks of fuel and a 1800'ish km round-trip and that was with a fully laden car (got to get me Irn-Bru over here somehow :)

Got to admit the cruising mpg and comfort was significantly better than I expected.

That doesn't sound too shocking actually, thanks for the quick replies by the way.

I'm going to Italy on the bike in June, so planning to get the route sorted then. If I can get 350 miles from a tank with a bit of mountain madness I will be happy.

Wonder if I'll be able to ask the other half to split the petrol costs...I'm sure that will give us something to talk about in the car!

Yes the Zed is very good on fuel if you keep the revs steady. I found no real difference cruising at 70ish on motorways and 90ish on private roads. Its constant use of the right foot that drops the MPG, keep it a constant speed and it will be fine. All depends on the kinds of roads you use. ;)

Yes the Zed is very good on fuel if you keep the revs steady. I found no real difference cruising at 70ish on motorways and 90ish on private roads. Its constant use of the right foot that drops the MPG, keep it a constant speed and it will be fine. All depends on the kinds of roads you use. ;)

+1 coming back from leeds on sunday with cruise control and 70mph i did 19.5 mpg.... :dry:

i regularly do 300 miles in the zed oop north. i find that that it will do 300miles with about 2/5s of the tank left. CC on set at 80. just under 3,000 revs.

but also that does involve the M25 and some local b roads.

i would say that it would top 400 easy at cruising speeds.

Sparky

+1 coming back from leeds on sunday with cruise control and 70mph i did 19.5 mpg.... :dry:

Your car is broken :lol: Mine will easily hit 30+MPG at that kind of speed and distance keeping the pace steady :p

Your car is broken :lol: Mine will easily hit 30+MPG at that kind of speed and distance keeping the pace steady :p

+1 Mine averaged 33mpg once to Porthmadog from my house in Staffordshire :)

35 is very god , best ive had is 31mpg (uh oh there gona be another moan at us for the mpg subject hehe) but 400miles is easy to do if you cruising at 70 ish (can be quite a big ish).

when i went to leeds q while back and had the 50mpg limit on the m1 for most of the way im sure i was going to get nearly 500 out of a tank as i did 430 or there about and had more than the gauge said i had left.

... I rekon I do less than 200 miles a tank with my drive to/from the train station.

Rubbish

:scare: that's not even remotely funny !

Surprised you just go the shortest route home though ;) Number of times I've ended up on a 100 km round trip on the way back from work just becasue the sun was out and the car felt it needed to stretch it's legs :teeth:

Haha,

I don't always go direct gov (sorry - not even funny).

I also find myself driving to the sound of the scorpion exhaust, it's a bad habit I picked up from riding bikes, but it makes me smile like a masturbating chimp.

Arhh well, I have a smaller carbon footprint than someone who does 20,000 miles a year in a Prius, so I won't feel guilty for burning the odd barrel of oil for fun.

i have got about 32 mpg out of mine, and on a long slow trip have managed 500 miles out of the tank.

i'm doing france this summer in the zed for the first time, so will be interesting to see what i get. also will have had a remap by then, so will see if its better still

:scare: not funny...just had the 27000mile service (p1) as well...didnt find anything wrong with it :surrender:

I'm usually getting about 310miles from completely full tank to when the light comes on (around £75) with a mixture of short town trips, a steadyish 9 mile run on the A40 to work and the odd 'mad 5 minutes'

How accurate is the 'distance to empty' function?

Although the performance diesels (BMW 330d) are beginning to catch my attention more. :thumbdown:

I can't get my car to do more than 19.2 mpg. I certainly don't thrash my z either. WHats going on. :lol:

Is your Z a UK spec?

Question for all the people who know, does the Z always throw an error light for everything? IE engine temp sensor for the ECU, or

out of calibration for the UK lambdas?

Interesting to see all this talk of fuel consumption, guess it goes to show that some can discuss the subject :dry: