Getting the most out of the zed

neo-ninja

Hi all,

So just thought i would see different peoples opinion. On a long straight on average when do you find yourself changing gear REV wise, If you are driving it hard and if you are not?

Also when driving around on easy roads 30pmh no majour hills or corners etc, what gear do you normally sit in?

Will just be interesting to see what peoples driving styles are like?

On a long stright I find myself accelerating to the speed limit of the road in a sensible fashion. When I'm on track though it's a different story. I usually change just after peak power (ish)

When cruising I drive like a granny. Low revs and just waft about using toque.

When driving it hard until the revs are at about 6k but normally only about 3k max. Its not like the car lacks pull low down.

Ah see that is interesting already as i find that when driving very hard i change closer to 6.5/7k and when driving around a medium pace its normaly around 4k but when general driving is probably 3k.

On a long stright I find myself accelerating to the speed limit of the road in a sensible fashion.

:blush::blush::blush:

Do we get banned if we tell the truth??

Come to Zummerzed on any weekend and you'll hear me on the Mendips pinging off the rev-limiter from about a mile away I guess. (K1) Mind you, the roads there are exceptional. Low hedges, white-lined each side, no potholes, very few people (mostly sheep) and obvious T-junctions/brows.

_DSC2273.jpg

Can you see the "traffic" in the distance? :teeth:

When driving it hard until the revs are at about 6k but normally only about 3k max. Its not like the car lacks pull low down.

Ah see that is interesting already as i find that when driving very hard i change closer to 6.5/7k and when driving around a medium pace its normaly around 4k but when general driving is probably 3k.

Im guessing you have the rev up engine? ;)

i dont think mine is a rev up as its a 2005, you recon im changing gear too high? i could be first car i have had that is this powerful. one of the reasons i am asking on here actually just to generally see if i am driving it to its best caperbilities

i dont think mine is a rev up as its a 2005, you recon im changing gear too high? i could be first car i have had that is this powerful. one of the reasons i am asking on here actually just to generally see if i am driving it to its best caperbilities

I think the rev limiter is at 6600 so I think what he is saying is you CANT do 7000 in a DE :)

I think the rev limiter is at 6600 so I think what he is saying is you CANT do 7000 in a DE :)

:thumbs: Yea i was just wondering if that was the case.

Think you can feel the car at its peak, just a case of getting used to it, if your really interested in knowing its capabilities get down to a track day, really helped me understand when the car was at its limit especially on corners.

On a long stright I find myself accelerating to the speed limit of the road in a sensible fashion.

:blush::blush::blush:

Do we get banned if we tell the truth??

Come to Zummerzed on any weekend and you'll hear me on the Mendips pinging off the rev-limiter from about a mile away I guess. (K1) Mind you, the roads there are exceptional. Low hedges, white-lined each side, no potholes, very few people (mostly sheep) and obvious T-junctions/brows.

_DSC2273.jpg

Can you see the "traffic" in the distance? :teeth:

Was down there last weekend at St Audries Park and took advantage of an early morning run, great roads...

ahhhh i see what you mean, maybe i read it wrong then. Next time i am in my car i will see.

As i havent felt the rev limiter kick in, as i assume by doing so i would sudden loose power? Or am i wrong?

4th Gear Dyno Pull on mine

StockvUprev.jpg

Power band is between 3 and 5.5k so I tend to drive the car in that rather than taking it too the limit as the power drops off your loosing power. Not sure what the power band is in lower gears but I tend to change at about 6k

fiddy beat me too it, and also has graphs to prove it,

as said, power drops off, and no point bouncing off the rev limiter as if you hit it the zed does tend to kill the power quite aggressively, hit it a few times without paying attention. and its not a gentle bounce and balance on the revs limit

I don't tend to flog mine even if I'm driving for pleasure, maybe change up at 6k tops and use the torque. On the ebb and flow of the twisty roads round here, or even, on the similar roads of scotland or wales, I just like leaving it in 4th or 5th and just concentrate on making progress and taking a smooth line round the curves.

fiddy beat me too it, and also has graphs to prove it,

as said, power drops off, and no point bouncing off the rev limiter as if you hit it the zed does tend to kill the power quite aggressively, hit it a few times without paying attention. and its not a gentle bounce and balance on the revs limit

ah thats interesting so if you wanted to get maximum power from the car changing should be done at around 6k, not much higher or lower. Very interesting although i guess in a way a tad confusing because its not would you would naturaly assume.

So to hit the 5.7s 0-60 time a decent start and then changing at 6k revs through the gears is the best bet.

Not that i have actually had a chance to try yet lol! damn these roads around here and weather!

sometimes if im going through a village with nice skinny streets i have it around 3400 as thats where it sounds best :lol::blush: either that or keep it about 1600 again as it sounds best around there :D

other than that you can pretty much go everywhere in 6th :shrug:

On a normal daily drive ie to work or to the shop changing at 3K ( I've been told off before for saying this...) using mainly high gears, for playing 4 to 5.5K on roads.

I agree. I find that above 4500rpm the revup feels a bit rough (I guess that's because the throttle is limited in 1st, 2nd and 3rd so the engine breathing is not as good as it could be), so I generally ride the torque curve and change at peak torque. Compared to my last E46 M3 the Zed engine is a bit of a disappointment. The M3 was super smooth and had great power all the way to 8000rpm. I will be visiting Mark at Abbey very soon so I hope this will sort the engine out.