A few quick questions (looking to buy)

Hi all

I am seriously considering a 350z as my next car, it seems to tick all the boxes for me and despite looking at every marque out there, none seem to offer as good an overall package. That being said i have not driven one yet, and i was hoping you could answer a few quick questions for me (i have read the faq honest).

1. My budget and desire for a UK + "GT" car means i am likely to be looking at higher mileage examples (80K miles) in the 03/04 vintage. Is there anything i should be looking at in particular? History of clutch changes etc? Is there any idea on the longevity of these engines or is it still a bit early to tell? From what i can gather they seem pretty much bulletproof!

How does the suspension fair on higher mileage?

2. Should i be considering a JDM car to get one with less miles? I have always been put off by them due to the history being harder to verify and the insurance premiums you can pay.

Is the suspension on the JDM cars the same as a UK one? or does it vary according to the model type? Again i have searched!

Thanks for taking the time to read this, hope you can help fill in the blanks i have in my knowledge!

i found when i was looking, actually millage didnt change price massivly... main thing i found that changed price, was if it was a jdm or not. If it was a JDM you could nock off £3-4k the equivelent car (very broad statement but for the cars i was looking at that seemed the right amount) only problem i found with JDMS however is i couldnt get insurance... for some strange reason it was a massive amount more...

I bought JDM and insurance didnt really change much compared to UK model.

+1. I personally would prefer a JDM spec with lower mileage than a UK car.

The only thing I have found is that Nissan dealers are really funny with you if you have a JDM (infact absolute a***holes) but I wouldn't recomend you use Nissan anyway, there are much better garages that you can find through traders on this forum.

Have a search for differences in JDM vs Uk, a couple being that the JDM satnav wont work in the UK (can be swapped out) and the stock suspension is harder, stock exhaust is quieter and stock fuel tank is smaller.

I love my JDM Zed though :D

I've had 2 high mileage cars!! You will save yourself a lot of money by finding a higher mileage car, but make sure it has a really good history with it. There are too many people out there who are afraid of high mileage Zeds and rather pay a premium for peace of mind. My 1st Zed on an "04" cost £14k with 72'000 miles on it and my 2nd GT "54" plate Z with 80k+ cost £8500!!! they both drove perfectly, the 2nd was as much fun as the first one and i didn't need to spend a penny on either of them. As long as the car has been serviced regulary the 3.5 engine gets better with age.

The only thing i would say is with high mileage cars is to try and find one with no more than 2 previous owners. The chap i was buying the car off, and the original owner were elderly professional people so you could see the car was looked after.

Anyway hope some of this helps in your confidence and search for the right 350z :thumbs:

Oh and :welcome::D

Thanks for all the kind welcomes. Good to hear higher mileage is not a concern. Do the interiors hold up to it, both in terms of wear and rattles? I appreciate it will depend somewhat on the conditions it has been subjected too.

I appear to have blotted my copybook by making my first post in the wrong section... Sorry about that.

The firmer suspension on JDMs is a concern to me, unless it still provides a supple enough ride still. Do most people change theirs or is it perfectly ok to live with?

So im hoping to view a couple of Z's over then next few days, with a strong intention of buying if the right one should come along. This has got me thinking about small niggly things i am likely to miss in the excitement...

Could anyone tell me if there are any non catastrophic issues i should be looking out for (as well as the big ones!) i was thinking:

Skipping Bose / left channel issue (i know this to be an issue).

but is there common failures with:

Climate

electric(heated) seats

computer

rattly trim

synchros

speaker issues (i am viewing GT spec UK cars)

etc!

Obviously the Z has loads of gadgets, and i am the sort of person who will be driven mad by things not working right!

Also, any things i should be looking for that might be removed (MFSW, telephone cradle etc)

Thanks guys :thumbs:

In response to your question, yes there are minor issues that affect some cars.......the good thing is that someone on here has had the same issue(s) and ihey have always been satisfactorily and usually inexpensively sorted out. There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum and everyone helps when they can.

Just check all the things you've mentioned when you view, post up the seller's advert on here before you buy and you can be assured of all the assistance and encouragement you need.

Hope that helps

The experts will be along in a minute :)

Oh and :welcome:

Well guys I picked up my Z today! All happened so quickly I'm kind of shell shocked. The dealer (top bloke, proper piston head) was happy to give me the money I asked for my cooper s meaning I drove away with the following:

55 plate UK GT with 65,000 miles in Gunmetal with the rays alloys (in magnificent condition).

The drive home was an enjoyable one, with me giggling at the engine note at every opportunity. It really seems to drive magnificently and I am delighted with the gear change and all the lovely toys that come with it.

Now I have to nonchenantley turn up at work tomorrow, trying to act casual whilst not cocking up the reversing manouvre when I park... Maybe I will turn up 15 minutes earlier!

Anyway, I will be spending most of my life here now as I love good owners clubs (previous a big user of the SXOC), and this one seems to have a great spirit.

So really just a thank you for all the kind welcomes you have given me.

Andy

Oh I fully intend to! Going to have to wait until the greasy conditins calm a bit

mind, don't want to test out the ESP just yet! I love the composure at higher speeds, I can see myself getting in to trouble if I don't keep an eye on that speedo...

And yes GM is rather splendid I think :teeth:

Oh, and i stilll managed to humilliate myself somewhat by

1. not being able to start the car (did not know you had to depress clutch)

2. asking where the cd changer was located :blush:

Going to have to wait until the greasy conditins calm a bit

mind, don't want to test out the ESP just yet!

2. asking where the cd changer was located :blush:

Smart lad.

Presuming you have the Bose (will be in your centre console, or if an import would be different most likely.