tyre pressures.

Neilp

It's not about pushing it either, the differences between compounds can be so extreme that it could catch you out on a gentle motorway sliproad if the conditions are right.

Sure, take your point. But then you would need a soft tyre to provide the kind of control you are refering to, which wouldnt last as long...my point is that i dont think it is as big as deal as people make out, you driving ability is more likely to let you down.

tyres make a huge difference, and in my opinion should be one of the first mods you do.

exibit A:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/

pretty much every tyre is in here thats worth mentioning, just by reading the reviews you can even see how the same tyre but on different cars can have a different reaction.

Exibit B:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Au ... rmance.htm

an example of budget tyres versus premium tyres, the braking distances alone shoul dpoint out a big difference between tyres.

this isn't just opinions based on guessing,

the people giving you advise have lots of experience. know the cars, and know how they react, we aren't here pushing tyre sales for premium brands, or to make you go buy something, we are just telling you the most likely outcome if you mix tyres. and the difference it makes not just on a track but in day to day driving.

i've driven cars and tried a variety of tyres on them, and i noticed that the handling characteristics of the car change with the tyre. and so does your driving style.

I am not saying that budget tyres are better because they are clearly not, the original point I was referring to was mixing back to front (IMHO) wouldn’t make a huge difference to the average daily driver (the fact that I have some budget tyres on doesn’t matter). If you were to lose control it would be the lack of ability or knowledge of the car that would be the more of a problem, than the compound of the tyre etc. However, better tyres could make a marginal difference and improve the ability of the car to save the daily driver…so I suppose then they would be worth it.

sorry speedy, that wasn't the point i was making, when i pointed out difference between budget and premium, was more to point out the chart that shows the variation in braking distances in the budget tyres alone.

it was to try and back up the point that every tyre reacts differently.

and braking distances aren't track based needs, they are everyday road use needs.

if the braking differences are different what other handling characteristics are different?

Sure there will be other difference and the breaking distance is something that could help in every day driving, but that would be because the driver was too close...but back to the other different handling characteristics. I still find it hard to believe that the everyday driver can drive on our roads in a way that these would be exploited to the point where they will make a difference (I am still referring to the front and back issue and not the difference between budget a quality tyres).

Now if you can drive to the point where the characteristics would be exploited then my argument fails... :wacko:

wet conditions,

snow,

example 1.

last year in the snow i had bridgestone reo40's grip was almost non exisitant traction was poor and all corners were power slides.

this year, in the snow i had my vredestein ultrac sessanta's grip was greatly imporved, i had for more traction, the car didn't fishtail at anything over 40mph which the bridgestones did.

example 2.

wet weather with the stones the car never felt as planted, (this is everyday driving) wet weather with the sessanta's, i have far more confidence in the corners.

point being made. if i had sessantas on the front and stones on the rear, or vice versa, i'd more than likely be in a new car. or if not that then i would be driving the car to its potential ( and i don't mean like a boy racer)

Sorry seems like I started a war. I think it's everyones own experiences that makes they're opinion on mixed Tyres. Obviously the same Tyres would be advantageous there is no doubt about this. But I'm still unable to distinguish the difference between tread depth on rear wearing in turn the traction is reduced and a different tyre on rear with differen grip.

No matter what the situation there's still going to be different grip levels so in turn it's upto the driver to understand they're car and not drive outside the cars capabilities.

Sure, take your point. But then you would need a soft tyre to provide the kind of control you are refering to, which wouldnt last as long...my point is that i dont think it is as big as deal as people make out, you driving ability is more likely to let you down.

Look, you're thinking of this in the extremes i.e. Nankangs vs R888s, when the difference between the compounds and treads will show up with ANY two tyre makes. I would no more put RE050s on the front and PS2s on the back as I would do the first combination mentioned. If you have tyres that give differing grip levels at different times and in different temperatures then at some point you ARE going to have an issue, and it's juts a case of how bad that issue is going to be. It might just be a an extra bit of slip at >5mph turning into your road, or it might be a full-on tank slapper into the armco on the motorway, and that's the problem: Unpredictability.

There isn't a car manufacturer in the entire world that puts mixed tyres on their cars, and there's a very good reason for that.

• 5 months later...

wow! glad i checked this out!!!

so after getting my zed, i checked my tyre pressures.

not really thinking about it, i simply put the same pressues in the zed as i did my coupe. It never occured to me it would be different (though seems obvious when i think about it)

i guess 42psi on the front and 36 on the back is clearly not right!!!! (standard 18inch i think rims)

will check my pressues and change accordingly tonight.