Trickle charger connected wrong - big problem??

H5

Right, after having been a bit smug about the Zed being in the garage during the snow and ice, it appears an error has been made along the lines........!

The trickle charger has been connected to the wrong terminals (+ve to -ve and vice versa). I would guess it has been like that for a good couple of weeks. The battery is of course flat, but the charger itself was not 'on' (no light on).

So have I fubar'd the battery?

:blush:

As in it is flat flat. It is a deep cycle battery (well, as deep cycle as Halfords go, it's not Yellow Top), but there's nothing, not even a window drop.

I have reconnected it the right way and the trickle charger is at least on now.......

its a wait and see job i think. its likely to be damaged but how much i don't know. you may find it will hold its charge and all you did was just reduce its life slightly.

charge it over night or until you get a full charge, then start it, turn off and leave for a couple of days not on charge and try starting again. 3 days should show any signs of draining. if the battery is fine it will start no problems. if its FUBAR then it will struggle.

If the trickle charger does not charge the battery due to it being totally flat then best to remove the battery and hook it up to a proper charger at your local garage. Sometimes this is required just to kick it back into a chargable state. :thumbs:

Been on the trickle charger for a week now and it's still pretty much dead (nowhere near cranking capacity!). Will a big beast of a charger be able to kick it back into life?

Am such a donut! :bangin:

usually when batteries go past a point thats them damaged and gone im afraid :blush:

:lol: I know!! :bangin::doh:

Will get it sorted. Silly thing is, for years I have had chargers on my cars for the audio competitions and had the big deep cycle batteries etc, and not once. Now, I seem to have forgotten the difference between +ve and -ve!! :blush: