Looks like Top Gear may go the way of Fifth Gear

stanski

http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/blog/article/386537/

It's the news Top Gear fans have been dreading - the show's boss has hinted that the show is coming to an end as ratings continue to slump.

Andy Wilman, executive producer of the BBC Two programme, also said that he fears the series is turning into a cartoon because the presenters were playing up their on-screen characters too much.

He said: "There is a grumble and a rumble in the air from some of our regulars that we have lost the plot, we've disappeared up our a***s and we're predictable.

"It's fair to say that this incarnation of Top Gear is nearer the end than the beginning and our job is to land this plane with its dignity still intact."

He added: "But that doesn't mean we won't be trying new things to the last, even if they screw up because it means you never stopped trying."

Wilman was the man responsible for turning the show from a niche programme for car enthusiasts to a global hit, watched by millions of viewers.

His comments come as ratings for the current series fall to 5.5 million from a high of eight million two years ago.

Ok its not perfect by any means but its all we have left! :shrug:

Think your right digsy - as we know Top Gear just forgot about cars and focused on the presenters too much!

There needs to be a happy medium between proper reviews and entertainment - neither Fifth Gear or Top Gear has these

+ 1

Gradually over time the show has become predictable. When the show started to change so it appealled to non-petrolheads there were geniune mistakes by the presenters that made it funny; obviously the producers cottoned on to the fact this boosts ratings and now make the presenters act 90% of the time.

I enjoy the show, but get fed up with a huge ambitious tasks they undertake. I enjoy the tasks themselves, but always know it's going to "end in disaster" (yawn). I wanna see stuff like them genuinly enter racing competitions (such as when they drove the diesel beamer) because you can't really act in it and is genuine (or very very close to real).

I love the famous Stelvio trip as it had a real sense of adventure to it (also made thousands of others try it out).

I'm all for seeing Zonda's, Lambo's, etc burning around the track, but I also want to know about the latest hot hatches & sports cars too.

Oh - and semi can the "Star in a reasonably priced car". They've pretty much done everyone worthy of it and I would rather see 1 extra car review than an interview from celebrity X (if I want this, I'll watch Jonathan Ross).

Overall, I feel it's a 7/10 show. It used to be 10/10.

Think your right digsy - as we know Top Gear just forgot about cars and focused on the presenters too much!

There needs to be a happy medium between proper reviews and entertainment - neither Fifth Gear or Top Gear has these

+ 1

Gradually over time the show has become predictable. When the show started to change so it appealled to non-petrolheads there were geniune mistakes by the presenters that made it funny; obviously the producers cottoned on to the fact this boosts ratings and now make the presenters act 90% of the time.

I enjoy the show, but get fed up with a huge ambitious tasks they undertake. I enjoy the tasks themselves, but always know it's going to "end in disaster" (yawn). I wanna see stuff like them genuinly enter racing competitions (such as when they drove the diesel beamer) because you can't really act in it and is genuine (or very very close to real).

I love the famous Stelvio trip as it had a real sense of adventure to it (also made thousands of others try it out).

I'm all for seeing Zonda's, Lambo's, etc burning around the track, but I also want to know about the latest hot hatches & sports cars too.

Oh - and semi can the "Star in a reasonably priced car". They've pretty much done everyone worthy of it and I would rather see 1 extra car review than an interview from celebrity X (if I want this, I'll watch Jonathan Ross).

Think you have worded it perfectly there - maybe the producers can read your comment :thumbs:

+ 1

Think you have worded it perfectly there - maybe the producers can read your comment :thumbs:

+1 absolutely agree.

To my mind... time for at least Clarkson & Hamster to hang their coats up (I like Captain Slow, he can stay for me), and entree new presenters..? My CV's in the post :D

Plus hamster needs to cut his f*cking wig. Think he took a fair old bump to the head when he crashed that rocket car. :bangin:

Its gone down hill for me big time, Its just drifted well away from what it once was, how they can comment and give reviews on a car when all they do is drift it round an airfield??? dont get me wrong sideways is the way forward for me but not an accurate way to determine how well a car handles. All the stupid challenges, it wouldnt be so bad if they didnt twist them i.e the one with the eurofightet and veyron, running the euro at reduced power, Why ? why not let it whip the veyron and show how good the aircraft is? The endurance race with the bmw, why make up faults when they arnt there ? why lie about the value of the Bm and the size of the support team. And the other week with the airship i knew that was happening weeks before it happened and was very dissapointed that they made it out to be real?

At some points TG winds me up, the reviews that clarkson does :rant: ripping a car apart until he ownes one, he is a clown not a well knowledged, great driver that the show needs!

Rant over :bangin:

Coops

Main thing that has bugged me in recent series is just how contrived it is.

The final straw being this Sundays show.

Not only did I have to endure them basically slating the North East, but had to listen to them going on and on about how they were struggling to ake up the numbers, and how on earth where they gunna get people through the doors.

They were never gunna get the number they wanted. Why? Becasue there wasnt that many tickets onsale! It was a ticket only affair, which was SOLD OUT. So it was never gunna happen.

And he just happened to ditch the BMW did he? Balls.

And in a whole show,only one car review.A review of a car which I am NEVER gunna be ableto afford. Ok, ok, yeah I know, its not all about that, and its about the drea. But it would be nice to see some of the car comparisons again done properly. Even car tests done properly would be a start.

That one of the Clio last week over in NI, just pi$$ed me off.

I used to be upset if I missed it, now I dont even bother with iplayer if I have missed it.

Any one think Dave has mad it a bit boring, it's no longer special!

Vicky Butler Henderson needs to come on and show up Clarkson. God I love her, she can drive and look good doing it. If they do can it, they have to end it with the Stig being revealled and then run over by the Black stig