Single mass flywheel issues

Cookbot

Just got my beast back after it had been in for a new exedy clutch and fidenza flywheel. On driving out from the garage i noticed it didn't go into 5 and 6th as easily as i would have liked, so back i went. Back on the ramp and with 15 mins it was sorted. My other gripe is that at low revs, but only when applying the throttle there is quite a bad vibration, in al gears. Now I know as it's a lightweight single mass there may be chatter, but i thought this was only really evident at idle not at about 1500-2000rpm.

Does anyone else suffer from this or know why it's occurring?

Thanks, Cookie

I heard that somebody else had a problem with the gears changing into 6th, but after 20 mins on the ramps it was adjusted. Not sure about the vibration, but I know that they can be more audible on idle and possibly on bite after much research on these forums.

From stand still, it's quite quiet. It's only when you go from say 2nd to 5th or when you're just cruising, getting about the place. When you boot it, it's fine. Feels like it has more kick too, but as the roads are greasy you need to watch it as it fish tails in 3rd :)

I have sold hundreds of The Fidanza Flys and Exedy stock clutch kits without one single complaint.

If the fly is fitted as per the manufacturer's fiitting instructions then you will not experience any vibration.

What you may be experiencing is if you labour the car, say driving at 30mph in 5th or 6th gear then you will get a roughness through the car. This is a characteristic of the single mass fly because the inertia has now totally changed and there is no damping from the single mass fly.

A slight change in driving style will quickly resolve this issue.

The extra transmission noise that you are experiencing up to around 2000rpm is just the gearbox idler gear, again caused by lack of damping from the single mass fly and does not pose a premature wear problem.

Both these issues are characteristic of the single mass fly. This is a normal effect that is well worth the added performance.

The difficulty that you experienced with the shift between 5th and 6th would only have required the shift gate plate to be adjusted.

If you are experiencing a genuine vibration, which could be caused by a badly fitted flywheel and excessive flywheel run-out is evidence of an improper fit, then I would suggest that you take the car back to the garage that fitted the clutch and perhaps also make the people who sold you the kit aware of your issues.

Hope this helps. :thumbs:

Alex.

I agree with what Alex said. At low revs, you will get a noise, and as long as you arent labouring the engine, no vibration should be evident. You will have to drive around at a few more revs now, keeping it at or above 2000RPM so to avoid the noises, but you quickly get used to it.

can i just ask how much of an improvement in throttle response you get? surely unless you are tracking the car its not worth doing it? i mean going everywhere above 2k revs :surrender: and it being noisy etc etc.

What kind of mileage does the stock dual mass flywheel go at? Surely there is no need to change unless its a high mileage car? im going to have to change my clutch soon and i just cant see me burning a few hundred quid on a new flywheel when my stock one has 60k left to go. just seems a waste of money.

maybe im wrong :shrug:

can i just ask how much of an improvement in throttle response you get? surely unless you are tracking the car its not worth doing it? i mean going everywhere above 2k revs :surrender: and it being noisy etc etc.

What kind of mileage does the stock dual mass flywheel go at? Surely there is no need to change unless its a high mileage car? im going to have to change my clutch soon and i just cant see me burning a few hundred quid on a new flywheel when my stock one has 60k left to go. just seems a waste of money.

Maybe you are wrong :lol:

However, if you need to swop out your fly and you don't fancy a single mass fly then I have a available NEW Genuine OEM dual mass flys at only £295.00 :thumbs: Over £1000.00 from Nissan :scare:

However, if you need to swop out your fly and you don't fancy a single mass fly then I have a available NEW Genuine OEM dual mass flys at only £295.00 :thumbs: Over £1000.00 from Nissan :scare:

but why am i wrong?

i know its generally accepted here that when you change the clutch you change the flywheel, but when it comes to me shelling out money i just want to know why? my car has done 30k miles like many others, the clutch is on its way out. surely the OEM DMF will last far longer? how many peoples have actually gone and at what mileage. i ask as i want to know if its worth doing.

but why am i wrong?

i know its generally accepted here that when you change the clutch you change the flywheel, but when it comes to me shelling out money i just want to know why? my car has done 30k miles like many others, the clutch is on its way out. surely the OEM DMF will last far longer? how many peoples have actually gone and at what mileage. i ask as i want to know if its worth doing.

Never said that you were wrong ;)

However it is worth doing :thumbs:

but why am i wrong?

Never said that you were wrong ;)

However it is worth doing :thumbs:

why though? :shrug:

if they last 90k miles and my clutch goes every 30k surely i would be best doing it at 90k or to be safe 60k?

I would be worried about what the hell you are doing to kill a clutch in 30k miles :headhurt: Should last at least 50k-60k if you arent tracking it and drive it properly ;) Also if you are battering the clutch, what are you doing to the flywheel :shrug:

I would be worried about what the hell you are doing to kill a clutch in 30k miles :headhurt: Should last at least 50k-60k if you arent tracking it and drive it properly ;) Also if you are battering the clutch, what are you doing to the flywheel :shrug:

previous owner humped the clutch chris.

like i said, what is the life expectancy of the flywheel?

Ok so we know the clutch will be approx 50k. The flywheel? Has anyone's gone? 100k 150k 200k ?

Best to replace at time of clutch change as a matter of good engineering practice.

The dual mass fly is notorious for failure and the fitting of the single mass will give you noticable extra performance due to the change in weight and inertia.

Well worth doing. :thumbs:

Or you can change the clutch now and wait until the dual mass fails, say perhaps in another 10,000 miles and pay for the job to be done all over again. ;):surrender:

Alex.

Best to replace at time of clutch change as a matter of good engineering practice.

The dual mass fly is notorious for failure and the fitting of the single mass will give you noticable extra performance due to the change in weight and inertia.

Well worth doing. :thumbs:

Or you can change the clutch now and wait until the dual mass fails, say perhaps in another 10,000 miles and pay for the job to be done all over again. ;):surrender:

Alex.

my car has done 30k so my dual mass flywheel can potentially go at 40k? 10k before the clutch should go :scare:

I know there are allot of variables, im only talking about a ball park figure. how many miles does an OEM DMF usually last?

i understand and agree it is good engineering practice, but then the whole engine may or may not last so should i swap that now just incase? im not made of money and want to understand a sensible time frame (mileage) to get the flywheel changed?

i think the point with DMF's is that they can vary from car to car with life expectancy, and as its such a big job to change the clutch it makes sense to do the fly at the same time.

youyr DMF could last 10,000 it could last 30k. and with a single mass fly there is less to go wrong so it shouldn't need changing again.

also with the new excedy clutch, if its fitted properly and you don't drive like a numpty; should last the life of your ownership easily.

it will save you the £300-£400 of having the fly swapped out at a later date.

if your clutch and gearbox has taken the shagging that you think it has, then all the parts linked with that area i'd want out at the same time and replace with fresh to gaurentee longevity and put the car back into good working order.

I dont get it either...so i cant comment.... :surrender:

However, considering its a gearbox down job i d rather play it safe... ;)

i v got the exedy/fidanza set up and apart from the idle noise had no issues whatsoever. and the throttle response is so much better...plus the bite is more instant. Its a good upgrade...the only downfall is that its a bit more abrupt around town.... :thumbs:

Only thing you should always keep in mind guys is the slave cylinder...always have it checked!!! think its about £40 and its not the strongest on earth.... :thumbdown:

Oh and my clutch started slipping (only when hot during hammering 3rd to 4th and so on) at about 17k!!! :scare:

Then again its wear and tear....i think it lasted long anyway! :lol:

Sorry mate I can not answer your question because there are to many variables and it is hypothectical. I have already given you my own personal view based on my own personal experiences :thumbs:

no problem, cheers for the input. :):thumbs:

what about checking it when the clutch is being changed? is there a check that can be done to determine that the flywheel needs changed or how much life it has? maybe purchase one before hand and if it turns out the one in there is as good as new then just sell it on. If not i suppose i better add it to the bill, im not trying to be cheap, just sensible and informed :)

now reading on my350 :headhurt:

• 1 month later...

Thread from the past! :D

Just to add to this I changed my clutch at 55k, not because it was slipping but because I was changing the gearbox and thought I had may as well do it at the same time...

However, I didn't change to dual mass and now I'm quite annoyed I didn't. Not sure if replacing the clutch made it more noticable or if I could have damaged it but I do know I get juddering on the biting point now, which apparently is the dual mass.

My recommendation would be to change it if you're doing the clutch!

I'm curious how much difference the single mass makes in performance terms...