Passed cop with radar - do 3 points affect insuran

matth76

Yesterday I was doing around 80-85 (I know too much) but before I knew it I passed a cop on the dual carriageway layby with what looked like a radar. I did slow down when I saw them but not sure whether I was caught. However they didn't drive up behind me to pull me over but assume they only send letters out these days. Assuming it was a speed gun they had and not checking tax if the worst has happened and I receive a letter 10 days later will the 3 points affect my insurance premium? I am 33, no points, no accidents, paying around £400 a year, car is unmodified. My insurance company is Admiral (which is the same as Elephant if anyone is with them).

Thanks for any info on this.

It shouldn't do. I believe the rule is that they penalise you 15% on your premium for every 3pts, but don't start adding until you're past 6pts, i.e you go from nothing to 45% loading once you hit 9pts!

All insurers are different though, so do check with yours. And don't forget to tell them as soon as the points come through, not at next renewal.

I thought they had to stop you at the roadside if they got you with a laser gun?

+1

I'm pretty sure they do have to stop you there and then, the laser gun doesnt take a picture as far as I know, it just bounces a laser off the car to gauge the speed you are going.

I had the same thing happen to me and they had a police motorbike further up the road which pulled me over...

This happened to me, nothing came through.

It was probably community speed watch or something.

they do have to stop you there and then with a mobile gun.

dont worry about it, im pretty sure nothing will come of it.

cross that bridge when it happens, even if it does you wont much more if any more insurance for first 3 points.

The first three points are not counted. They deem they to be 'free' points as anyone can have one discretion. You do not have to inform your insurance company until renewal as your insurance is underwritten at the point of renewal for the following 12 months.

You do not have to inform your insurance company until renewal as your insurance is underwritten at the point of renewal for the following 12 months.

I'd argue the opposite. You have to tell your insurer about anything that changes the nature of the risk you represent to them at any time, be that putting a big exhaust on or a shiny bodykit. If you have points then you're proven to have been speeding which makes you more likely to have an accident (if you believe the statistics).

Put it this way, it's not something I'd ever like to be arguing the toss over should I need to claim, and for the small extra cost is it worth not telling them? I know where you're coming from Sarnie and you've far more experience than me in the insurance field but I trust insurance companies as far as I can throw them and I see no point in giving them any ammo against you if you can help it.