Engine Coolant not getting up to temperature

1146ben

Hi guys

I've had Z for 4 months, :D , but since the weather got colder a few weeks ago the fuel economy has got a lot worse - normal journey to work it's getting 22mpg when it was getting 27. A bit will be having aircon on more and rear screen demist, but not that much I would think? The only thing I've noticed is that the engine coolant doesn't appear to be getting warm enough now - it would happily get to the middle of the gauge previously after 10 minutes or so driving but it struggles to get into the bottom of the usageable range ban when sitting at 85mph on the motorway for 20 minutes. Does this mean the fuel mix will be running too rich and is this fixable/tweakable?

Any help much appreciated.

Ben

Sounds strange, I can't say I've noticed any difference in running temp in mine since the cold weather has come along.

Sounds an awful lot like the thermostat might have gone so its not warming up properly. Is the idle staying high?

As you say, thermostat sounds like the cause.

The STD gauge are not good , even at 100deg C the gauge is still around in the middle of the min and max. You say that yout hink the guage is running a little lower than normal.

If you say the car has got less econimical , I would say it maybe another problem , these 350,s run very little cold start fuel , so even of the car is running around 50deg C I cant see this making that much difference.

Has it thrown any CEL,s up? it could be a O2 sensor starting to fail , this can cause the part throttle AFR to go rich.

But got to agree with the boys on here if the coolant is low the heater will be blowing colder , doesnt the car get warmer of you leave it standing running?

Sounds strange, I can't say I've noticed any difference in running temp in mine since the cold weather has come along.

Sounds an awful lot like the thermostat might have gone so its not warming up properly. Is the idle staying high?

As you say, thermostat sounds like the cause.

+1

Haven't noticed any change in my coolant temp either. Have to agree on the fuel consumption though - mine has increased from around 25 mpg to 23.7.

That's a big "increase" ;):lol:

It all counts when you're using around 60 litres per week :D

True that, I'm down to 21.7 eeeek :D

• 1 year later...