Syncro into 2nd gear when cold ?

Iain2276

Hi all,

I am new to the forum, so firstly, hello !

Ok, I have an UK spec 04 350zGT that I bought in summer. I have recently noticed that when cold getting into second gear is notchy and occasionally crunches. This may sound funny, but you can really "feel" the cogs when you change.

It only appears to happen from 1st to second (is fine from 3rd to second, I think !)

Once warm it is as smooth as a smooth thing.

Is this normal ? I feel like I am driving on egg shells.

Many thanks

I have to shift REALLY slow to stop it doing it -You can sort of feel when its ready to go in...

on a couple of occasions its really crunched in (metal on metal crunch) almost as if you had not put the clutch in...

Once its warm though you can shift as fast as you want, its perfect...

This is normal. JC criticised the gearbox when he and Hamster first drove it in the UK. It's not as bad if the car has been carefully run in. It also happens from 4th to 5th when you're gunning it. I quite like it but if it bothers you, try double declutching to give the syncro a chance. Don't forget it's supposed to be a man's car. I love my car, but you know what the Yanks say about muscle cars "Drive it like you hate it" :teeth:

Oh & :welcome:

thanks ATTAK Z

Well i normally double de clutch going down the gears, but not up them !

But I can start.....

Thanks for the advice all - I'm just pleased its "normal"...

Once its hot, I think the gear box is very positive....

Glad to be of help

By the way, you always had to double de-clutch up the box in the old Landrovers which did not have synchromesh on 1st. I have in the past tried to go all day without using the clutch at all (except for initial take off) when going both up and down the box. This could only be acheived by double de-cluthching!! Needless to say they were firm's cars. :teeth:

thanks ATTAK Z

Well i normally double de clutch going down the gears, but not up them !

But I can start.....

Thanks for the advice all - I'm just pleased its "normal"...

Once its hot, I think the gear box is very positive....

Blip the throttle while you gear up :thumbs: and down... (a bit harder and I've not yet mastered that one!)

Mine does the same for 1st to 2nd... think my oil is in desperate need to be changed so hope it will be better once I've done that (this Thursday)

:cold:

well when i double de-clutch from 3rd to second I always blip the throttle....

Like I say, never done that the other way (and cant see adding revs would be a good ideas???)

Once you get the hang of double de-clutching it comes as second nature !

I only do it because I learnt to drive in a mini that had no syncro in 2nd !!

By the way, you always had to double de-clutch up the box in the old Landrovers which did not have synchromesh on 1st. I have in the past tried to go all day without using the clutch at all (except for initial take off) when going both up and down the box. This could only be acheived by double de-cluthching!!

Sorry am I being dim? how can you double de-clutch without using the clutch?

Do you mean rev matching (heel & toeing)?

Isn't double de-clutch...

1) clutch in, remove from gear

2) clutch out, blip of throttle

3)clutch back in, into next gear, clutch out

Rev matching (heel & toe)...

1) Clutch in, remove from gear

2) blip throttle

3) into gear, clutch out.

or revmatching without clutch where you do the same as rev matching without using any clutch (do-able but not advised!)

By the way, you always had to double de-clutch up the box in the old Landrovers which did not have synchromesh on 1st. I have in the past tried to go all day without using the clutch at all (except for initial take off) when going both up and down the box. This could only be acheived by double de-cluthching!!

Sorry am I being dim? how can you double de-clutch without using the clutch?

Do you mean rev matching (heel & toeing)?

Isn't double de-clutch...

1) clutch in, remove from gear

2) clutch out, blip of throttle

3)clutch back in, into next gear, clutch out

Rev matching (heel & toe)...

1) Clutch in, remove from gear

2) blip throttle

3) into gear, clutch out.

or revmatching without clutch where you do the same as rev matching without using any clutch (do-able but not advised!)

Yea you're right, brainstorm sorry. Its matching the revs WITHOUT using the clutch and it can be done up or down the box with a bit of practice .......... as you say NOT to be advised but good fun in someone elses car :teeth: The end result is sometimes that the propshaft pops out!!