Doing my bit for charity

Anubis

Hey all.

I signed up to be a member of the Sporting Bears motor club earlier this year. Basically the club takes people out for cash donations to childrens charities so its a win/win situation. I get to drive my car, passengers get a 10 mile blast with smiles on their faces and money ends up with sick children (every penny). :)

Never done this thing before but gave it a go and mingled with the likes of Ferrari, Lambo, R8, Aston owners and I felt very welcome. Such nice people and everyone mucking in together. This was at the NEC motorshow last month and gave four rides @ £30 each. The Ferrari's were obviously very popular - never stopped all day and there was even a Jag XJ220 (£100 for a ride btw).

I know you all like pics and with VIP driver access I got to walk around all the cars and chat to fellow owners, so here you go:

bears18.jpg

bears20.jpg

bears19.jpg

bears17.jpg

bears16.jpg

bears15.jpg

bears14.jpg

bears12.jpg

bears11.jpg

bears10.jpg

bears9.jpg

bears8.jpg

bears7.jpg

bears6.jpg

bears5.jpg

bears4.jpg

bears3.jpg

bears2.jpg

bears1.jpg

bears13m.jpg

The day was very wet (unfortunately), and driving around NEC with no clue where to go is a little daunting. Especially since plod was out everywhere in patrol cars and under cover cars (I find this discusting catching with mobile speed guns when we are raising for charity and being sensible and knowing the limits). Thankfully no one I heard of got a ticket. :)

One poor bloke went 40 - 60 - 40 on a road in his Exige last year and plod gave him 3 points (huge A road) because it was a 40mph bypass. Makes me paranoid beyond belief on the day! :rant:

However, all's well that ends well and collectively raised well over £30,000 during the weekend. :D Had good fun and would definently do it again. :)

I did some similar charity work earlier in the year and hopefully get to continue it next year.

It was at the local motor museum who also own a sprint track attached. Few laps on the sprint track with mainly kids and then pick up the next one. A great day actually and it was really nice to share my passion for cars with the kids.

It's nice to donate time to charity and it be a real pleasure.

Nice one chap. Saw this a few years back at MPH and was sorely tempted for a blast in a few of the cars, but didnt have any cash (purposefully to stop me spending it!). A very good cause, well done for chipping in. Shame the plod had to spoil it as usual! Last time I saw it they had a track in another NEC car park which looked interesting :drive1

Sounds a great idea but what about insurance, in the event of a claim whilst your taking a punter for a ride, could they refuse the claim as it could be said you were using the car for "hire or reward". Presumably the organisors have this covered.

Sounds a great idea but what about insurance, in the event of a claim whilst your taking a punter for a ride, could they refuse the claim as it could be said you were using the car for "hire or reward". Presumably the organisors have this covered.

When I did the event I mentioned the motor museum looked after insurance and everything else.

I'd hope this charity would do the same!

The charity works by not paying for the ride. It's a loophole that is perfectly legal and has been for years.

Basically its like this; "If you donate X amount to our charity, I will see if one of our drivers can give you a lift free of charge". Its not illegal to offer anyone a lift or ride pending no cash was passed to the driver as a taxi service - all the dough went to charity and the drivers received nothing, not even for petrol.

Example pricing was:

Caterham @ £30 (i think)

My zed @ £30

360 MOdena @ £45

F430 @ £60

R8 V10 @ £65

Atom @ £45 (i think)

XJ220 (£100)

I think next time I will price my zed at £25 so people would be more tempted to go for it. When your up in the £30 people then naturally think "screw it...£15 extra gets me into a Ferrari". lol.