CAI + Flood Water = 1 unhappy zed!

bhavin85

Hey guys

So driving to work this morning...I had to go through a fairly deep puddle...me being me and it being 6 am I didnt even think about my CAI! the water was fairly deep I got through the puddle and noticed that when I put my foot down the car being jerky! anything above 2.5k and the car was rocking backwards and forwards like a crack addict in a rehab clinic!

So I pulled up to the side turned the engine off for 10 mins had a quick look around the bottom of the filter and could see water in the undertray...first thing that goes through my mind...thank god I put the hydro lock foam mesh thingy in my Nismo CAI!

Started the zed after a few mins and it didnt tick over straight away but after a few attempts it fired up...rev'd past 3k and it seem'd fine! Question is what (if anything) can I check to make sure ive not really destroyed the engine? The car was fine for the rest of my journey...took it to 4k after drivign for about 40 mins and it seem'd fine but just want some piece of mind that ive not jsut broken my zed!

I am thinking of making the CAI back into a SRI for the rest of winter as I do drive through some country lanes that can flood!

advice would be appreciated :bang:

If it's fine now then you got lucky and I wouldn't worry any more about it. Personally I'd never have an intake that low to the ground as for the sake of maybe 1bhp (if you're lucky) is it really worth the extra aggro and worry? Different if you live somewhere baking hot where it never rains though, I guess.

Slight thread hi-jack so apologies but a question regarding the thread. As I am running a K&N typhoon the air filter is still in the same place as the original but there is a scoop that goes behind the grill. As this isn't a sealed scoop I am presuming that although you may get some water in the scoop it wouldn't suck loads of water into the engine. The scoop isn't sealed onto the air filter either. I am not planning on taking my car through a deep pool anytime soon to test this theory just a thought in my head!!

slightest air gap and the weight of water vs air means it wont suck the water up :thumbs:

if you had sucked in enough water to get in to the engine afaik 2 things can happen .. tiny amount goes in ,engine burns it up (vaporises it), basically you got lucky

you suck in so much it gets hydrolocked and your forked !

Might not be the induction system , we have found the crank trigger sensor which is at the bottom of the gearbox, gets wet and upsets the crank trigger output.run the car for a while and it should sort itself out , will need the car turning off and restarting thou to reset the ECU.

anymore questions fire away.

Mark

With the coilovers i would have been screwed i recon :lol:

The car seems to be running fine now though so I guess i did get away with it! I am gonig to switch to a short ram intake setup till the end of winter then back to the CAI for summer...dont fancy taking that risk again!

Thanks for the help guys!

Slight thread hi-jack so apologies but a question regarding the thread. As I am running a K&N typhoon the air filter is still in the same place as the original but there is a scoop that goes behind the grill. As this isn't a sealed scoop I am presuming that although you may get some water in the scoop it wouldn't suck loads of water into the engine. The scoop isn't sealed onto the air filter either. I am not planning on taking my car through a deep pool anytime soon to test this theory just a thought in my head!!

Yeah - i have the same setup. Air scoop goes into the front middle of the bumper (so pretty high up). The filer itself is housed in a black metal case, but this isnt air-tight. So are we correct in assuming that the chance of hydrolock on this setup (if we stay away from 2 foot deep puddles!) is pretty slim?

Yeah - i have the same setup. Air scoop goes into the front middle of the bumper (so pretty high up). The filer itself is housed in a black metal case, but this isnt air-tight. So are we correct in assuming that the chance of hydrolock on this setup (if we stay away from 2 foot deep puddles!) is pretty slim?

yes unless you submerge it the air gaps in the box will stop it since the vacuum takes the easyest path aka the gaps. on the down side it also means that the scope probably wont do muhc either :(

on a side note anyone really worried should look up an AEM bypass valve .