Home cinema audio help

Zedrush

Hi guys wonder if any audiophiles can help me out as I dont understand some of the jargon and am confused to bits.

Im looking to get a surround sound system 5.1 for my tele and ps3. I want the surround sound to work for when I watch tv and sky and also when I want to play games or watch blueray on ps3, but all the systems I seem to find tend to come complete with dvd player :wacko:

Can someone advise me with a decent kit that will allow me to listen to all three (tv, sky and ps3) without having to switch cables, just one that switches by remote and looks good, like freestanding ones. Looks of speakers is really important lol. Want one for around £700 mark. Tv is the Samsung Led 8000 one. Any help be appreciated as I aint got a scooby :blush: also let me know what leads I would need to get, not taken tv out box yet as still prepping room so need to know how to connect everything together. HDMi cable is needed but not sure what it is and know that there are different types. Also optical thingy?? :wacko:

Not the easiest thing to setup mate, but hopefully i can give you an idea. First thing is cables, do you want everything to be in HD? If so you need HDMI cables, dont worry about the cost as there is such an insignificant difference IMHO between the cheap and the expensive. If not then the second best would be optical cables and then the most basic is scart cables.

You have to ensure you will have enough inputs, on the surround system so you dont have to swop cables all the time. So two HD inputs and 1 output would be sufficient if you have Sky HD and a PS3.

For that sort of money I'd be looking at an amp with 4 HDMI in as a minimum. Basically, you connect everything to the amp via HDMI and then output to the TV from the amp via HDMI: You won't be using the optical input/output at all. All the sound will come from the amp (to which you'll attach either 5.1 or 7.1 speakers) and switch sources on that. There's about a million different options out there, I'd start by perusing www.avforums.com and make your own mind up from there.

Just a question though: Surely you only watch TV via Sky? There's no need to use terrestrial analogue signals if you've got something better (assuming you've got a Sky HD box here, of course).

My parents got a full on cinema setup in the lounge this time last year, all built in and false walls etc... (it's mint!), so I inhereted their old DVD surround system and it does just the job. I get sound in through all 3 as follows:

PS3 - HDMI lead running PS3-TV, for audio optical lead running PS3-DVD (select 'Digital In' on auxilary inputs)

For Sky / TV I have scart from DVD-SKY, then Sky-TV, all seems to work!

Also got a spare RCA to standard jack to plug an MP3 or laptop into (but obsolete now since everything runs wirelessly from laptop to PS3)

i have mine working by attaching everything to the tv via hdmi and then using the TV optical out and feeding it to the surround sound optical in. works very simply and changes itself when i change the tv source :) only works if you have optical out on the tv though :)

Currently running a Linn system with Nucleus speakers.. With a setup the same as you, sky, ps3 etc. The rear speakers are quite far back in the room (its a combined lounge and dining room) but it seems like the rear speakers are right behind your ears.

I dont tend to run the rear speakers when watching normal TV (Unless it needs it!) only for BR and PS3

Is £700 to include the speakers / cables etc? How big is the room? Do you want it to be able to drive the speakers in an additional room?

I have heard a few of the new yamaha setups and am amazed how good they are with 1 speaker and a sub. but these are roon size dependant as you need to "bounce" sound.

As Ekona said AVforums is where I would go for a look around.

Whilst your looking, I would also cost up for a good multi remote. I use a phillips pronto, but have heard some good stuff about the new logitech ones...

i have mine working by attaching everything to the tv via hdmi and then using the TV optical out and feeding it to the surround sound optical in. works very simply and changes itself when i change the tv source :) only works if you have optical out on the tv though :)

This is another way of doing it (and indeed, is how I've got mine setup currently on my Sammy 7 series) if you don't have a decent enough surround system, but for £700 I'd be looking at something more high-end for better results.

Agree with Fiddy about the Logitech remotes though, a mate of mine has one and it's a beautiful piece of kit. That said, it's attached to £15K worth of audio & visual equipment so it wanted to be pretty good!

This is another way of doing it (and indeed, is how I've got mine setup currently on my Sammy 7 series) if you don't have a decent enough surround system, but for £700 I'd be looking at something more high-end for better results.

agreed, i got my panasonic system along with the tv for 200 quid off the inflated ticket price. it does all i need, dvd, mp3, usb port etc etc. but for 700 quid its the proper doo dahs, as fiddy and ekona say, that your looking for :)

agreed, i got my panasonic system along with the tv for 200 quid off the inflated ticket price.

:blink: I've got a Panasonic system too! Small world and all that. Mine's an SA-PT850, which suits my needs for now but I'm going to have to get a proper setup soon as the TV is just so much better than the audio at the moment.

£700!!!!!

Why not use the 5.1 plastic cups and string that I have connected to my superwide Marconi 10" round screen , also linked into my wax cylinder player and not forgetting the latest 8 track player again connected with high quality twine :p:lol:

Man those valves burn hot but if you want the very

latest tech you have to make sacrifices ;)

thanks all now am really confused :lol:

Okay so if I get say an AV reciever like this:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/av- ... ion-vsx519

and speakers like this:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/spe ... -hkts7-blk

with the right wireing I should be able to run it all from it?

or even simpler get this:

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/hcs-cinem ... /ht-sf2300

and that should run everything no? :blush:

The sony one was actually what i was about to post up for you :lol: It would be very simple.

sweet and I wouldnt have to change wires when i want to go from changing from watching tv to sony ps3 game or movie? :blush:

but you will have sold your soul to the sony demon :lol: this is much like the apple demon :scare:

The sony one was actually what i was about to post up for you :lol: It would be very simple.

sweet and I wouldnt have to change wires when i want to go from changing from watching tv to sony ps3 game or movie? :blush:

but you will have sold your soul to the sony demon :lol: this is much like the apple demon :scare:

:lol::lol: I sold my soul to the apple demon yonks ago, I wouldnt let my creative fingers touch a pc, Im a brand slag :lol::blush:

Jay, just get a professional in to do it all. Will be more than £700 but they can show you how it all works when they are done and you will be more than happy. I know you can afford it :) Alternatively head down to a proper audio store and seek advise there. There are so many options that you need to be there with someone to hear them and look at the kit.

I run a modest Onkyo 506 and Kef "egg" speakers. More than enough for me, and cost around your price braket. For you I would suggest something like the Onkyo 607 or Denon 1910, both have 4+ HDMI inputs. For speakers, I dont really know what the current good ones are for about £250-300. AVforums would be a good place to start as you will find a lot of threads from people in a similar situation to you ;)

Oh and get the cheapest HDMI leads you can from somewhere reputable. My mum got a new TV with BD player and they tried to sell her £60 cable for it. I got her one for £3 which works just as well! With HDMI being digital, unless the distances are massive, the cable will either work or it wont, so just buy the cheapest :)

:lol: Yea that would be fine. Just double check when you purchase it that you get sound through the HDMi cables aswell as picture. For that price im 99% sure it would but i know the cheapper ones require optical cables as well. To be honest it makes little difference between HDMI and optical for sound but if your a perfectionist like me... ;)

:lol::lol: I sold my soul to the apple demon yonks ago, I wouldnt let my creative fingers touch a pc, Im a brand slag :lol::blush:

5150673906423979450.jpg

apple-logo.jpg

versace_logo.jpg

amlapelpin.jpg

the list goes on? :lol:

Oh and get the cheapest HDMI leads you can from somewhere reputable. My mum got a new TV with BD player and they tried to sell her £60 cable for it. I got her one for £3 which works just as well! With HDMI being digital, unless the distances are massive, the cable will either work or it wont, so just buy the cheapest :)

just buy the cables online, for the price of the cheapest one in the shop you'll get a nice one :)

just buy the cables online, for the price of the cheapest one in the shop you'll get a nice one :)

Yeah I didnt mean buy them in the shop, online is the way to go :thumbs:

Yeah I didnt mean buy them in the shop, online is the way to go :thumbs:

i used to work for one of the shops all i can say is how far can you bend over?

:lol: Yea that would be fine. Just double check when you purchase it that you get sound through the HDMi cables aswell as picture. For that price im 99% sure it would but i know the cheapper ones require optical cables as well. To be honest it makes little difference between HDMI and optical for sound but if your a perfectionist like me... ;)

Thought pictures comes through the tv arial not hdmi cable? :wacko:

hdmi carries picture and sound from your bluray, ps3,skyHD etc

tv arial only brings digital or analogue tv

hdmi carries picture and sound from your bluray, ps3,skyHD etc

tv arial only brings digital or analogue tv

ahhhhhhh now its starting to make sense :blush: only problem is link to sony speakers no one sells em :wacko: why would they advertise something on homepage that isnt even in existence?