Is there 1 acknowledged best tyre for the 350Z.

Mark-UK

If you want the best then you need to be prepared for the cost ;) Personally I think they're worth every penny, and given that the tyres are the only thing in contact with the road why scrimp on them? That said, if you really can't afford them then try the Vredesteins (the RE050As will be about the same as the MPS2s).

As I already said ;)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You boys discussing tyres is like girls talking about shoes, Makes me giggle!

I have the bridgestones, Great in the dry and i dont know about the wet performance as i drive like a sissy, not wanting to crash!!

As Ekona has said, The tyres are the only thing keeping you on the road. If you push hard, dont be a cheap skate. As l'oreal say's.... "You are worth it" Paying an extra few ££££ for tyres is better than paying £££££££££££££££££££ on a new car once yours in on the wrong side of a hedge. :D

My advice - Go for the best you can afford.

Damm ive got £60 nankangs on mine does that make me really cheap :lol::lol::lol:

A set of Ditchfinders all round is still better than mixing tyres front and rear ;)

I'd love to pick up a set of these crappy things and run them on track with the intention of just killing them, I can imagine I'd probably have just as much fun as when on gripper rubber.

No im only joking i have the original Brigestones i would die with Nankangs on round my way i have used nankangs in my budget days and to be fair they were fine lot better than falkens in the wet and a million times better than the michelins in the wet.

Think i will change to Pirrelli next time really like pirrelli on the bike and had them a while back on a car really good.

Not found the Bridgestones to be to bad in the wet the traction control does come on when your pushing it but nothing unnerving

Where do you get the idea Toyos are a budget tyre??? :wacko:

Price vs grip & wear level. On something cheaper like, say, an MX-5 they'd be a bit higher up the range, but on something as powerful as the Zed they're definitely on the budget side. They last for ages, they have average grip in the dry and above average in the wet, but they melt like anything if you start putting serious heat into them. Just my opinion mind, but when you've got a car costing £30K new I wouldn't be putting cheap rubber on it as you'll distort the performance available. Nissan almost got it right with the RE040s (dry grip on those far exceeds the T1-Rs), it's just a shame they're so useless in the wet which is why they made the RE050A OEM on the HR models.

OK, so if someone can make a tyre for less it is 'budget'? They definitely do not last for ages either. :teeth: I agree the RE040's stand up better on track, but we are not talking track tyres - we're talking road tyres. Any of the tyres we're talking about would get embarrased by true track rubber. T1-Rs are the tyre of choice for many an Elise driver (we had them on ours) and Toyo provide motorsport tyres to a huge number of race series around the world. I just don't fall in with the 'it costs more so it must be better' mantra. Having driven the Zed with RE040's, Falkens and T1-Rs on, I'd choose T1-Rs again. :)

[OK, so if someone can make a tyre for less it is 'budget'? They definitely do not last for ages either. :teeth: I agree the RE040's stand up better on track, but we are not talking track tyres - we're talking road tyres. Any of the tyres we're talking about would get embarrased by true track rubber. T1-Rs are the tyre of choice for many an Elise driver (we had them on ours) and Toyo provide motorsport tyres to a huge number of race series around the world. I just don't fall in with the 'it costs more so it must be better' mantra. Having driven the Zed with RE040's, Falkens and T1-Rs on, I'd choose T1-Rs again. :)

I ran T1-Rs on my VXR220 for a while, absolutely hated them. No feel, marginal grip compared to the chassis, and melted so very quickly on track. Changing back to the OEM A048s was the best thing I ever did on that car. On the Zed, out of the tyres you've tried I'd be sticking with the T1-Rs too, but they're still at the lower end of the quality spectrum even if you disregard price. If you ever get a chance to drive a car fitted with some proper quality rubber I can guarantee you'll be able to feel the difference instantly: I didn't expect the PS2s to be that much better than the RE040s, but they really are worth the extra.

Having used. Bridgestones, toyos on a previous car I'd agree that the toyos were better in the wet. But would say the vredesteins are better in the wet and dry over the toyos. Toyos are good but for me the tyre wall is to soft and the sessantas offer better feedback and cost about the same. Toyos work well on a lighter car. Falken run tyres on race cars but they don't use the 452's. Same as I think that most toyo race cars would probably run The r888's. I would say that they are all pretty close and none of them would be a bad choice for the zed. So the decisio. Comes down to personal choice. The only one that would stand out as the best is the mps2's but you pay for the performance.

lol not sure what to do now, I dont track, dont do many miles and want something good in the wet and not too loud.

Good lord man, there's more than enough info on this thread never mind on the forum to be able to make an informed choice! If your budget stretches then the Vredesteins, if it doesn't then the T1-Rs would suit you but they're far from the 'acknowledged best tyres for the 350Z' you were asking for in your first post.

I'm quite surprised there's so many people recommending the T1-Rs, I didn't like them at all on the Z.

+ 1.

Ran them on my mr2 roadster and they had funny tyre roll. But I can't comment on running the on the Zed as I have never used them, but I don't want to upset those who do use the

on the zed, they seem happy and they do the job, they just wouldn't be my choice.

[OK, so if someone can make a tyre for less it is 'budget'? They definitely do not last for ages either. :teeth: I agree the RE040's stand up better on track, but we are not talking track tyres - we're talking road tyres. Any of the tyres we're talking about would get embarrased by true track rubber. T1-Rs are the tyre of choice for many an Elise driver (we had them on ours) and Toyo provide motorsport tyres to a huge number of race series around the world. I just don't fall in with the 'it costs more so it must be better' mantra. Having driven the Zed with RE040's, Falkens and T1-Rs on, I'd choose T1-Rs again. :)

I ran T1-Rs on my VXR220 for a while, absolutely hated them. No feel, marginal grip compared to the chassis, and melted so very quickly on track. Changing back to the OEM A048s was the best thing I ever did on that car. On the Zed, out of the tyres you've tried I'd be sticking with the T1-Rs too, but they're still at the lower end of the quality spectrum even if you disregard price. If you ever get a chance to drive a car fitted with some proper quality rubber I can guarantee you'll be able to feel the difference instantly: I didn't expect the PS2s to be that much better than the RE040s, but they really are worth the extra.

Ah Yoko's, now you're talking, I wish they came in the Zed sizes! I ran A539s for a long time on previous cars, great in the dry. The Michelins that were on the Elise before I swapped the Toyos on were horrendous, you could just feel the difference everywhere. And looking at Blackcircles prices, in plenty of sizes the Toyo seems to be more expensive than some of the MPS models! Regarding 'proper quality rubber', possibly a tad insulting since you don't know what else I've driven!

A little question - Pirelli P Zero Nero's - thoughts? :)

Just for interest one of my customers runs a tyre company as well as a car leasing company for the rich (Ferrari's, Porsche, Lamborgini's etc). His tyre company fits tyres to all these expensive cars and he told me that many of these so called "budget" tyre companies (Toyo, Falken, Kumho etc) are all extremely good and can easily mix it with Michelin, Continental, Pirelli etc, as the tyres are as good (obviously some suit some cars better than others) and the only difference is these tyre companies keep there prices low as they are trying to break in to the high performance tyre market.

One question I would ask: what is the quietest tyre for the 350Z? :)

quietest from what i've heard is the falkens, seems to be the most commonly pointed out thing that the road noise is significantly reduced.

as for right tyres for the car it is an extremely valid point and one that is sometimes overlooked.

its why i like the tyre review website, as the reviews come from all makes of car. but it also links to official tyre reviews done by magazines etc.

Regarding 'proper quality rubber', possibly a tad insulting since you don't know what else I've driven!

Sorry, didn't mean it to come out like that, I just presumed that the only tyres you'd tried on the Zed were the ones you listed: I didn't realise you'd tried the good stuff on the car, I apologise for that.

as for right tyres for the car it is an extremely valid point and one that is sometimes overlooked.

This is what I was getting at more than anything. The T1-Rs would suit something like an MX-5 very well, but you wouldn't necessarily put them on a higher performance car where levels of expected performance are that much greater. For instance, and to stretch the point somewhat, I'd see it as something like this:

Nankang ditchfinders = Chuck 'em on a 107 or something.

T1-Rs = Great for budget performance cars, like the MX-5.

MPS/Eagle F1 Assy = 911 onwards would suit these very well.

It's all about what you expect to find on a performance level from the tyre in comparison to what car it's on. The mk3 MR2 came with RE040s on as OEM and they were horribly vague, but on the 350Z (in the dry only) they were very good, so it would seem that those tyres work best with a bit of weight on them. Stock for stock, a Zed is capable of much more than an MX-5 which is why I would always go for a better tyre to make the most of that. If I were doing 20K miles a year in the Zed then possibly I wouldn't be running PS2s as that would prove an expensive way to go about it, but as I only do about 8K fun miles a year it makes sense for me to use something that allows the exploiting of the car's performance. Truth be told though there's only the perfect tyre for the individual and their own car, not one size fits all.

I'm quite surprised there's so many people recommending the T1-Rs, I didn't like them at all on the Z.

+ 1.

Ran them on my mr2 roadster and they had funny tyre roll. But I can't comment on running the on the Zed as I have never used them, but I don't want to upset those who do use the

on the zed, they seem happy and they do the job, they just wouldn't be my choice.

Mid engined RWD with lightweight and lower power vs Front Engined RWD with quite a bit of weight and power....

I like the T1Rs on the Zed but wouldn't recomend it to drivers of other cars as you can't tell how it will react on different layouts and with different drivers etc for instance a friend of mine uses them on a golf turbo and they wear so quick on the front. Much quicker than on my Zed but I guess it's to do with handling steering AND power.

And one things for sure, tyre choice seems like a personal one.