Not able to completely fill petrol tank !???

Spen

I had about a quarter of a tank left and was putting in another £30 at the weekend.

Get the old click click on the pump so gave it a second to go down but it just won't take anymore. Get in the car and ignition on and I have only 3 quarters of a tank full.

Are there any breathers in the tank on the Z and do you think a blocked breather is most likely the cause??

Cheers

I cant fill mine to the top either................. though it's nothing to do with the car...... :blush:

empty-wallet5.jpg

I only fill to the top if on a long trip, otherwise whats the point carrying around all the extra weight when theres a petrol station on the way to work (i.e. no extra distace covered stopping more regulaly)

I struggle to get petrol in sometimes too. Wiggling the nozzle or putting it in deeper or pulling it out a bit (oh er :blush: ) normally lets you get more in.

My UK car only seems to take 60 litres though?

Yep, me too. I have had the petrol light on and only managed to squeeze 60 litres in. Also a UK car.

It's shell v-power that I always put in. I've tried going a bit slower with it but it didn't seem to make much difference. Perhaps I should be even slower or as you say try a different brand of super.

Funny that some others can only squeeze 60 litres in. I wonder if 60 litres is from the bottom mark on the guage and the other 20 is in reserve then? Seems like a lot to have in reserve though?

i have stood at the petrol pumps and watched a bloody lorry fill up quicker than i can..........click click bloody click. sometimes even though i know i shoud get about £60 worth in I just give up at about £30 before I go berserk and start kicking the pumps, the car, the people next to me....... BUT it's definitely a bit random - at some pumps it works ok, not many though! I always assumed it was down to the fuel filler restrictor which was fitted in mine at SVA. Its so tight you can hardly get the nozzle in. But reading this maybe it isn't? I always feel so sorry for people that get stuck behind me at the pumps. :lol:

"Fuel refiller hose". If you do a search on my350z.com, you'll get lots of responses, there was a TSB (technical service bulletin - or do a search for technical service bulletin/s) in the US, seems to have escaped other countries, amongst other things. :dry:

Looks like the recall was due to the filler hose cracking on 03/04 models in the states.

On mine I've had it start to click and then take it a little further and it starts to come up the neck of the filler which is strange when the tank isn't even full.

Another thing is when I undo the filler cap after the drive to the petrol station I get a psssssttttttt (hiss of air :p ) Is that common?

I mostly get trouble at Tesco filling stations, but not all of them. Never a problem when I use V Power, maybe it's trying to tell me something?

maybe a red herring, but someone suggested a blocked breather pipe, is the tank meant to be under vacuum as I get quite a 'woosh' when I take the petrol cap off?

Mine sometimes shows it's full, sometimes only 3/4 full. I always put about the same in, only ever been able to put £60 in about once (until recently when it costs £1.11 per litre :rant: ). Think it's to do with a dodgy fuel reader, that shows it's 3/4 full when it's actually full. I can comfortably go 50 miles when empty, and still can't put anywhere near 70 litres in.

I now go by mileage covered, and fill up after about 200-250 miles :thumbs:

Looks like the recall was due to the filler hose cracking on 03/04 models in the states.

On mine I've had it start to click and then take it a little further and it starts to come up the neck of the filler which is strange when the tank isn't even full.

Another thing is when I undo the filler cap after the drive to the petrol station I get a psssssttttttt (hiss of air :p ) Is that common?

This actually did happen to some of our cars from new. Some micro fine holes, temperature does tend to exacerbate the problem. When you're filling it can cause the fuel to flick off many times or run at a ridiculous slow speed.

It's just pressure in the tank that causes the psssttt noise. As you unscrew the lid, just do it slowly, thusly letting pressure off, instead of completely unscrewing the lid fast.

• 2 weeks later...
I mostly get trouble at Tesco filling stations, but not all of them. Never a problem when I use V Power, maybe it's trying to tell me something?

maybe a red herring, but someone suggested a blocked breather pipe, is the tank meant to be under vacuum as I get quite a 'woosh' when I take the petrol cap off?

Surely that's simply pressure building up from the expansion of the gas, and you are likely to have less in the tank when this happens?

As for not filling right up, maybe fill it at one petrol station, then later on in the day see if you can add a great deal more at a different station?

-If I run my car down to the reserve light, it costs me £81 ish for a full tank of V-power/BP Ultimate, and I can over fill mine past the point of no return, so that it overflows and dribbles through my hole :teeth:

You might have some restriction of some kind or an inaccurate fuel gauge. Try counting how much you fill for how far you go, or maybe some Redex ????

Good luck with this. :headhurt: