Another Clutch/Gearbox Related Problem

geoff-r

Well guys I wish I'd found this forum prior to buying my 350. I do love it though, only had it a week, and it's been raining ever since I got it, typical. I've been having a look around the forum and the warranty section is particularly interesting (read worrying). I've come from Hondas where in my ownership of about 4 various ones I have never encountered a big problem. Now my 350 is an 07 plate, registered August 2007. So it's still under warranty, but does that mean much?

My problem relates to my clutch, when I bought the car last weekend it sounded okay, but maybe I didn't pay as much attention as I should. When I got home which is just shy of a 200 mile drive, I pulled up on my drive and the clutch sounded terrible! It sounded like a little monkey was hanging on the bottom of my car banging it with spanners! This kind of put a downer on my new pride and joy.

Anyway, I looked at the paper work that came with the car and there was a note on the P1 service that the clutch slave cylinder recall was due. No paperwork to say it's been done though, so I can only assume that needs to be done, right? When I put my foot on the clutch the noise disappears, so is it the release bearing? I started it this morning to get it warm before I left for work and the noise of the clutch almost drowns out the noise of the engine/exhaust. I mean, really, you spend all that money on the car and you're almost afraid to stop at traffic lights because it makes your car sound like a banger, the only solution to not make it sound like that would be putting my foot on the clutch, which would in turn make it even worse in the long run.

Is this covered under warranty? The car has 15,000 miles on it! I love the car but I'm not sure I'm prepared to go through a battle with a dealership, if the car wasn't under warranty I'd just undertake the work myself, but as it is it's the principal. Any advice and experience on the matter is much appreciated.

Ive got a 55 plate and its doing the exact same thing. Before I got the car I noticed the noise and I automatically thought it would be the release bearing. However the garage apparently took the box out and had a look and they said the release bearing was fine. One of the salesman told me it was a characteristic of the car. (bullsh#t)

Im in the same boat and confused :shrug:

When I met up with Stew and let him here the noise, he never heard anything like it before.

Would be good if anyone could shed some light on this.:help:

Noisy clutch bearing, noisy gearbox idler gear, noisy dual mass flywheel are all possibilities.

Nissan should have a record of the clutch slave issue.

First thing to do is to pop into your local Nissan garage and have a friendly chat.

If the noise is as bad as you say then they should have no problem identifying the cause and fixing it under warranty.

If your warranty claim is rejected then I have all the parts required.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=27436

Cheers,

Alex.

Cheers Alex. I may have to go to Nissan in the morning then. My first thing to do is to check that recall was done and take it from there. If they do however turn around and say it is a characteristic of the car I'm not sure what I'll say. If it weren't for the fact it was under warranty I wouldn't think twice about buying the parts and just doing the job myself, but if they do put up an argument about it I may just do the job myself, save myself a pretty penny and have peace of mind.

jacr87, is your car still under warranty? I also imagine the chance of getting this work done depends on the garage, I've never had any experience of my local Nissan garage, Wessex Nissan I think it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a hold of my local Nissan dealer today. They gave me info on 2 recalls that had been carried out on the car and I've booked it in to be looked at on Monday complaining of a whine coming from the gearbox. After going out in mine last night and then hoping into a mate's 05 plate one they sound very different. Shame I won't be able to take the car down myself, going to have to get the old man to take it down. Any pointers guys? Specifically people who have taken their 350 to Nissan when it was under warranty.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm now back in full swing trying to get this problem sorted by Nissan. An independent engineer saw the car today and described my gearbox as 'atrocious' and said it basically needed a new one, quite bad for an 18k mile box. The report should be following shortly. I'll be giving that to Nissan when it goes in for a service and I don't want to see the car until it's had a new gearbox. As if the report isn't bad enough I just got stung for my road tax, renewal was £405, went to the post office and it was £435 :(

I've noticed a sound when the car is out of gear, but doesn't sound as drastic as yours...before my nightmare of locking the keys inside the boot on sunday, i was ready to pull away from traffic lights to burn off some fat bike but the car didnt move, the clutch pedal was stuck in for a few secs then eventually came down, clutch smell came afterwards....

its june 07 roadster with 22k miles on clock, would you guys sense that it could be on the way out? only happened the once and was fine for 160 mile treck yesterday and to work today.

how much for a clutch replacment and labour? the warranty runs out next month but this is wear n tear surely...

Clutch wont be under warrenty , but yes it seems that mosts zeds have a noisy clutch / gearbox . Mine was not that bad but my local nissan dealer are very helpful and have managed to get it all under warrenty for me. As for the clutch sticking to the floor, could be your slave cylinder, but i am not really sure. Pm ZEDMANALEX he was very helpfull and can supply all parts needed alot cheaper than main dealer.

I've noticed a sound when the car is out of gear, but doesn't sound as drastic as yours...before my nightmare of locking the keys inside the boot on sunday, i was ready to pull away from traffic lights to burn off some fat bike but the car didnt move, the clutch pedal was stuck in for a few secs then eventually came down, clutch smell came afterwards....

its june 07 roadster with 22k miles on clock, would you guys sense that it could be on the way out? only happened the once and was fine for 160 mile treck yesterday and to work today.

how much for a clutch replacment and labour? the warranty runs out next month but this is wear n tear surely...

that sounds like slave clutch cylinder, when it sits on the floor... you'd burn the clutch pretty quickly if you try and burn some rubber at the lights... :bang:

Clutch wont be under warrenty , but yes it seems that mosts zeds have a noisy clutch / gearbox . Mine was not that bad but my local nissan dealer are very helpful and have managed to get it all under warrenty for me. As for the clutch sticking to the floor, could be your slave cylinder, but i am not really sure. Pm ZEDMANALEX he was very helpfull and can supply all parts needed alot cheaper than main dealer.

Hi buddy,

Can you confirm the right user name ? I tried to search but no match....Thanks for the advice.

Dave.

Ya sorry dude its - zmanalex- if you look up at the other posts you will find him..... he has a cape on! oh poo on the next page now, look on page one and you will find him :thumbs:

Mayb we should call him 'Defendor' (check out the movie) :lol:

Well after nissan having my car for 3 weeks to sort the gearbox noises out, i have it back....... and it makes all the same noises :wacko: I have had enough worying about it, i guess its just one of those zed traits! Oh well if gets any worse into nissan it will it will go again :bangin: Hope you are getting sorted with your problems.

Mine's down at Nissan now in Cardiff, I'm not standing for Nissans bullshit to be honest. The garage have been great (Wessex) but Nissan themselves don't want to know. The car has gone down with a report from an independant engineer and it has gone further than the last time. Nissan have authorised the gearbox to be removed and inspected at their cost instead of making it at my cost as they wanted before. Once the gearbox is out the garage are going to give me a ring and I'll be sending the engineer down who did the report on my car. I just hope they fix the car as I love it but this has been a huge disappointment and has tainted my first 6 months of ownership.

Oh sorry to hear that dude, really hope you get it sorted. Sounds like your noises where/are alot worse than mine. I cant thank nissan in winchester enough , really helpful. I have had all new bearings , input shaft, slave cylinder, reverse gear.....

basically a new gearbox! and yet it still sounds exactly the same, just a little rattly. :bangin:

Oh sorry to hear that dude, really hope you get it sorted. Sounds like your noises where/are alot worse than mine. I cant thank nissan in winchester enough , really helpful. I have had all new bearings , input shaft, slave cylinder, reverse gear.....

basically a new gearbox! and yet it still sounds exactly the same, just a little rattly. :bangin:

Really?! What is the noise like? My release bearing is so loud! And the whine from the box is starting to really get on my nerves, fair enough if the box had 120k miles on it I might understand, but my 20 year old workhorse of a Merc sounds sweeter!!! - And by the way the Merc does have 120k on it.

Anyways mine's in Wessex with the gearbox out now and to be honest they're putting the ball in my court, I just don't think it should be this way. It is on Nissan to investigate the problem, not me. They have removed the gearbox and they're waiting on me to send an engineer down, ffs I could have taken the gearbox out myself and got my engineer to look at it at home! I do despair. I just hope this gets sorted at their expense so I can get back to enjoying my car because at this rate I'm losing the love for my 350z :(

Sounds like you have had a hard time since buying it mate! No wonder your cracking up. Hope if gets sorted promptly so you can enjoy it. :thumbs:

It hasn't been easy. It's a car I've loved and wanted for a while and now I have it it's just been a bit of a pain. I will get it sorted regardless, half of me thinks 'oh maybe I should just sell it and get rid', but I don't think that's the right way about it. I just hope the weather stays nice for me so when I get it back I can enjoy it :D