Multi funtion guage fllashing 'dte'

tools99

Hi all hope someone can tell me how to fix this issue I am having?

Recently my multi funtion guage the one that I keep on temp all the time because it is in K's not MPH is flashing and at the same time my fuel gauge doesn't work, WEIRD! if the car starts without this occuring the fuel gaige works as atandard Happy Days! but it's very Fking annoying!

it shows a small reading when flashing of 'dte'

Hope someone can help?

Cheers!

It sounds very much as if the problem is not with the multifunction causing the error on your fuel gauge it is the fuel gauge casuing the flashing error on the multifunction display.

"dte" is distance to empty.

So it sounds like there is a problem with the fuel level sensor, causing the fuel guage to read empty, and thus causing the multifunction to alert you to the fact your "dte" is zero.

Does the fuel gauge display the correct fuel level, all the time?

If not, it sounds like one of the sender units are at fault. Due to the saddlebag design of the fuel tanks there are two located behind the subwoofer and underneather the passengers storage bin. Fairly easy replacement but it does required a depressurisation of the entire fuel system. Not a cheap part from Nissan, Passengers side is cheaper than drivers as the drives has the fuel pump encorporated.

DTE is definately Distance To Empty.

On my car as soon as the empty light comes on the guage drops to empty and the DTE light flashes with a figure. Never had it down to zero but got close once :scare:

Try keeping the tank at half full and see if it makes a difference. It might be that the sender unit is paertially bunged up somewhere and when the fuel drops to a certain level it plays up..

Pointless changing something until you know it is goosed

Ming the frugal

• 4 weeks later...

Do you mean that the fuel level is showing "----" and flashing DTE?

I find that if I stop the car and turn the engine off when I have around 25Km left or under, and then turn the engine back on it will show "----". I have always assumed that this was because the fuel pump throws loads of fuel into the engine (like a choke) on startup which drains the tank. After driving a few miles slowly it might creep back up.

Also find that once DTE comes on flooring it can DRAMATICALLY reduce the figures very quickly, like you can go from 40 Km left to 16Km on one 1 muinute blast down the road?

Dave