New Brakes

SteveW

Sadly the time has come for the OEM stuff to go and aftermarket stuff to grace the zed.

Sadly because I am broke but when brakes is needed brakes is needed.

I'm getting full discs and pads all round - been meaning to do it for ages.

I'm planning on doing one or two track days next year but can't decided which discs to go for.

EBC Turbogroove or EBC Ultimax.

I'm going for yellow stuff pads.

I do like the DBA disks but really can't afford the £350 they cost per pair.

Had a look on EBC website and it appears that the turbogrroves are a better disc for light track day use, or am I mis-reading things.

Many thanks in advance,

Personally I wouldnt go for Ultimax for track work. I have done a bit on mine and they seem to be warped now. Not 100% sure the airfield day killed them but EBC arent the best discs for track work anyway, so getting something they admit isnt for track isnt a good idea. If you cant get the turbogrooves then try someone like ZMANALEX for some OEM ones and just use uprated pads :)

I've not used any EBC disks myself but I was under the impression that they're not really suitable for track use. You may end up spending more in the long run if you're planning on doing track days as I don't think the EBC's will stand up to the abuse. If it were me I would spend the extra and maybe get a 2 piece disk, although obviously cost is a factor.

I've not used any EBC disks myself but I was under the impression that they're not really suitable for track use. You may end up spending more in the long run if you're planning on doing track days as I don't think the EBC's will stand up to the abuse. If it were me I would spend the extra and maybe get a 2 piece disk, although obviously cost is a factor.

+1 turbogroove wont last long...and DBA wont either...take it easy during track days....the first ones lasted 2 track days before they get warped and the second ones a full track day and 4 nurburgring laps before they get cracked...then again it could be me whos a bit aggressive on the track.... :dry:

The EBC ones were defo better on the road. Had them with DS2500 pads. :thumbs:

+1 turbogroove wont last long...and DBA wont either...take it easy during track days....the first ones lasted 2 track days before they get warped and the second ones a full track day and 4 nurburgring laps before they get cracked...then again it could be me whos a bit aggressive on the track.... :dry:

They deffo last longer when on the right way around though, dont they, well DBAs do anyway ;)

They deffo last longer when on the right way around though, dont they, well DBAs do anyway ;)

Absolutely!!! :thumbs:

Right I'm really confused now then.

If the EBC stuff is no good for even a couple of track days and in greekman's experience neither are the DBA's (too expensive anyway)

What are the options? Are the stock discs OK for track?

Don't they weart out very quickly with the higher friction coefficient pads? The rears on mine are stockies at the moment and were a wee bit warped/rippled when I first bought the car.

Are there any more options apart from EBC, DBA and stock? I've had a look on the net and can't find anything...... :bangin:

There is no way I can afford a big disc conversion.

Cheers

Right I'm really confused now then.

If the EBC stuff is no good for even a couple of track days and in greekman's experience neither are the DBA's (too expensive anyway)

What are the options? Are the stock discs OK for track?

Don't they weart out very quickly with the higher friction coefficient pads? The rears on mine are stockies at the moment and were a wee bit warped/rippled when I first bought the car.

Are there any more options apart from EBC, DBA and stock? I've had a look on the net and can't find anything...... :bangin:

There is no way I can afford a big disc conversion.

Cheers

Greekman is the exception to the rule. I'm pretty sure that EBCs would be fine for a couple of track days as long as you look after them properly (along with the rest of the car) by doing warm up, short session and cool down lap after as any sane person would!

taken from another thread....

I've got the Ultimax EBC front and rear discs for sale Brand new £300 + delivery. Was gonna sell them as a package with the brembo calipers but no interest so far :snack:

Maybe a PM to Steve (sunset350z) will help you out! ;)

Ar you going on the track?

I have no complaint with the EBC turbo grooved discs and are far better than OEM. Greekman is very heavy on his brakes. :teeth:

Thats the plan for next year, hoping to do a few trackdays. So you have had yours on trackdays and they are fine?

I'm generally not heavy on the brakes, silky smooth :bounce:

Turbo grooved or DBA would be ok for light track sessions. Remember that DBA do different series' discs and only their 2-piece ones are really rated for track work. I wouldnt rate the Ultimax disc for track work from what mine have been like and Mitz did tell me the Turbo groove are better if you are doing any track work. And it depends on what kind of level of track work you do too, Greekman is very hard on his brakes whereas if you are light, then 4k series DBAs or EBC Turbogrooved would be alright.

Right thank you for all the information, I think I'm going to go for the turbo grooves and the yellowstuffs then maybe in the future look at some two piece efforts but that will be a fair way into the future.

Cheers once again the world of zed brakes is now clear

:yahoo:

CS has the Turbogrooves back in stock :thumbs:

I thought there were not due for months?? :rant:

EDIT: the brakes I was quoted for were non-brembo fitment whereas the turbo grooves that are now in stock are apparently the brembo fitment.

Oh, and it was EBC themselves who told me that the stock would not be in UK until next year. CS sorted me out super quick to get my MOT sorted :thumbs:

arent performance friction discs the best for track work?

Theres loads to chose from - DBA, Performance Fiction, Stop Tech and Dixel are the main ones that I beleive fit on OEM Brembo calllipers that would be good for track work, without going for a BBK. If you have the Std callipers, the first thing I would be looking at for track work is getting some Brembo's from ZMANALEX ;)