Anyone been to egypt?

shire350Z

Me and zoe are after a week away all inclusive and egypt (sharm il sheik) seems the best value for money for the 5* hotels!

Just wondered if anyone had been to let me know what they thought, as spoke with some people and you get very mixed views off the place! Also in which bay are they the best beaches as there again been told alot have coral sands where as were after the softer white sands or should I say zoe is! :lol:

Look forward to your comments guys thanks very much :thumbs:

Sun = awesome

Coral reefs = incredible

Service = pretty good except for some tools who worked at the resort. Was funny when a drunk cockney punched him tho.

Food and drink is average compared to other all inclusives i'd been on. We had only local drinks on the package, and only the ouzo tasted anything like it should. Beer is fine tho. The food is good until they try to emulate British food, then it seems like they'd looked at a photograph and tried to copy it, but didn't know what it should taste like or feel like, it was odd. If they stuck to local menus it would have been ideal. Not sure why they always had gravy and custard at breakfast. . .

We stayed at the Kiroseiz (or something like that). Most resorts have their own beaches, which you can get to on the bus. I enjoyed 2 weeks there earlier in the year, the only real dissappointment being the booze. I'd been on a Thompson cruise, and Mexico, and the drinks there were superb. But if you don't just want to get slaughtered all day long it won't be a problem :thumbs:

Let me know if you want to know more.

reply from a freind thats been (sorry if shes blunt :lol: )

However it’s easily the most active of Egypt resorts ie. Has the most restaurants, clubs, things to do etc. The weather will be lovely around about now. If he’s after all inclusive then a lot of the hotels have their own beach – pick one of those and stop being fussy cos let’s face it they’ll be on sun loungers not lying direct on the sand. Even the worst beaches are a heck of a lot nicer than any beach here

I stayed at the reef oasis blue bay last year. Had a sandy beach. Went for two weeks, food was good, did get the sh$%s (seems most people do). Hotel was really nice with a number of different pools (one of these was for adults only so no kids running around).

Didn't spend too much time at the hotel as I did alot of excursions.

http://www.thomson.co.uk/destinations/a ... d-spa.html

Cheers

Dave

Cheers dave its between the jaz meribel and the one you went to thats ones just slightly more expensive! So how would you rate the hotel, would you go again?

To be honest I have nothing to compare it with! It was one of those "holidays you only do once" scenarios. Went to the travel agent and said whats the most expensive hotel you have at Sharm? This one came out tops. The service was excellent, staff really friendly.

A bit sad really but we even had KFC/McDonalds and Pizza Hut delivered to the hotel :blush: this is not a knock at the food just the age group I was with were missing their home comforts! . I would definitely go again. One thing to note, there is no internet connectivity apart from the hotel reception (which is big), so if you have the need you can take your laptop to reception and use it there.

I did not spend all of my time at the hotel either, did a scuba course, trip to Cairo and a trip to luxor.....Just had to see as much as possible.

I have a few photos of the hotel, will upload somewhere and drop you a link if you like?

Cheers

Dave

**EDIT**

Picture of the beach attached to the hotel

post-4995-135011865932_thumb.jpg

Work in Cairo at least twice a year but have only been to Sharm once, stayed at the Hilton Sharks Bay Resort. Had a suite for free for 4 days, one of the perks of working for Hilton. Couldn't tell you about the beach as never went, I always prefer the pool. I just know it's right by their own private beach so no need for a bus.

I have always found the service in Egypt to be first class, as if they can't do enough for you. Whether that's just because it was a Hilton or not I don't know and when I stay in Cairo it's a Conrad hotel so this might be the reason for such good service from the staff....

Yeah that'd be great thanks dave, were really just going for a chill out hol so wont really be doing anything at all, so as long a the hotels really nice thats all we need! Has the hotel much to offer activity wise?

Good question. Unfortunately when I was not out and about I just flopped down by the pools all day. I think they offered snorkling but not 100% sure on that. Remember seeing a pier with people snorkling.

They do have a lovely Spa which was great for a complete relax. This is not part of the inclusive deal though.

Naama bay is just down the road as well (10 minutes in a taxi). They have a huge beach there and lots of restaurants, shops, etc. (Don't let the buggers get you in their shops! It's hard work getting out without feeling the need to punch someone!)

Uploading some photos now to photobucket. Will drop you a PM with the link

Cheers

Dave

I went to Sharm last year and absolutely loved it ...

I did a 4 day suba diving course and spent the rest of the time just relaxing at the hotel and beaches ...

Naama Bay is where all the action is ... The night life there is pretty good too considering they only have one proper club (Pacha) ... but there are quite a few nice bars in the area too ... I'd recommend Little Buddha!

Its not being fussy as such :lol: its just wanting to choose the best hotel for the money and preferring the sandy beaches to coral beaches! Were thinking off staying in the jaz meribel resort if anyones been!

I get the impression most of the beaches there have sand and then the coral reefs. There's a division, so you can enjoy either/or. Have you considered Mexico? Or is it still out of bounds, don't really follow the news. That's loads better and probably cheap at the moment.

Just back from Egypt, 7 day Nile cruise, fantastic...

Weather hot, boat excelent (it was 5*+ though), sights awsome built on the scale of gods, only negative was the hand out everywhere and the calls of "you buy, only two pounds" and the phrase "cheaper than Asda" but you get used to that quickly and it certainly didnt detract from a great holliday...

Boy racer's car of choice was the old Hyundai Sonnata, ha ha...

Did I say it was hot...

Ok so ive had some rest now...

we booked a late minute deal for a week to sharm el shiek

we didnt get much choice of hotels ect and we opted for the one which was nearest to the beach ( 2 min walk seemingly.....egyptians must walk bloddy fast :lol::lol: )

its was all inclusive but only a 3 star which we thought would be fine as it was just going to be a week of chilling out and a cheapish holiday.

well it was a culture shock from the minute we arrived at the hotel...we have done some very nice holidays with some very nice hotels and we knew this wouldnt compare.

the room was basic, and the beach view turned out to be 10ft of space before looking directly into another room of the hotel :scare:

so with the curtains shut we continued to look around, electrical wires that were joined together with conector blocks and not sealed properly, the socket wouldnt hold a plug in and the bed side cabinets were jammed against the plugs to hold them in, one of the wardrobe doors would open fully due to the tv bracket, 2 single beds instead of a double, used the tap to clean my hands and the water came out brown....didnt think much of it till the tap burst 3 minutes later flodding the room with water and we had to wait up an hour till the handy man came to fix it and oh my god you should have seen the thing he put on, talk about filthy :thumbdown: was glad to finally get to my bed after the traveling.

next morning the missus jumped into a shower and then it was my turn.....water pressure was all gone and i had what resembled a dog peeing against a lamppost to get washed under after the previous day travelling :rant:

we did asked to change rooms due to the problems but they were fully booked yadda yadda ya :bangin:

so we went to the breakfast buffet... :lol::lol: this point wishing i was in prison as i would have got a better feed

ended up having toast every morning with butter and jam, now thats fine when you are at home but not really what your looking for when on holiday

lunch was much the same and dinner ....well ??

drinks were served in 2 gulp throw away cups , but there was a 24 hours snack menu that had some pretty tasty grub...wasnt included in the all inclusive package we signed up for though ??? dosnt "all inclusive" mean anything to this hotel ??

only seen cereal bowls on the last day of breakfast every other day you would have had to use your hands, the same with the tea and coffee cups

you know how pool side entertainment can be a hit or a miss at hotels.....well this one didnt bother :lol:

you know how night time entertainment can be a hit or a miss at hotels....you know where this is going right ??

oh and 2 mins from the beach...15 mins...

the hotel had 2 beaches... although no matter how we tried the beach tickets for the other beach were never available...strange :wacko:

all rooms have fridges according to the brochure but when we asked the guy he said all of them were away getting fixed, now thats bad luck eh, all 90 fridges breaking at the same time :lol:

so as you have gathered the hotel was pish...so heres a warning to everyone DO NOT EVER BOOK INTO THE BAY VIEW HOTEL IN SHARM EL SHIEK IN NAAMA BAY !!!

i understand that i didnt pay top dollar but omg how i wish i did now, and i know that egypt offer some exceptional places to stay so do your self a favor and go there.

so due to the hotel being poor our week of relaxing turned out to be doing the touristy trips which were great :teeth:

we got a internal flight to Cario and visited the tutankhamun museum ...WOW so real cool stuff in there

also the pyramids were bloddy fantastic and so glad our hotel was so poor now as i wouldnt have went otherwise ( we were planning to wait till we went again)

also done a jeep safari taking us to seee some of the bedwin tribe even if it was the watered down tourist version :lol:

also done some snorkling, we were going to do some diving as i quite enjoy it but the jeep safari offered snorkling so we just opted for that.

i cant remember the place we done it but basically you got your gear on and climbed about 2 foot down the rocks on the beach into the water and once in the water you stick your head in the water and OMFG its fricking 25m deep :scare: i swear to god you crap yourself it really is not expected the part of water is right at the beach and only about 2 foot wide, there were scuba divers about 15m below me and after that you couldnt see the bottom

what an experiance !!

we also done some quad biking into the desert which was cool B)

I will definetly go back and make sure that i spend more time researching hotels, the weather is fantastic, achohol was so expensive it made London look cheap, plently to do and see

heres me being bigger than the pyramids

100_5209.jpg

Paul

We went to the Ritz-Carlton in Sharm this time last year (I did a review on TripAdvisor with a couple of photos) - we booked B&B but upgraded to half-board when we got there, awesome with 4 restaurants, great spa and pool, fairly quiet resort and the beach is coral sand but is known for the best reef in Sharm, it was amazingly good.

My workmate went to the Savoy and said it was fantastic, had a proper beach down into the sea rather than the edge of the Ritz-Carlton's beach if any of those details up.

If you want specifics on RC, just ask.

We started off with 2 nights in Cairo to see the pyramids, museum and do a dinner cruise before transferring to Sharm, worked out nicely (tip if you stay in Cairo and book a pyramid visit, get them to start an hour earlier in the morning, you miss all the tour buses flooding the pyramid area later on).

-TPO.