stainless exhaust cleaning

dan4

Before i fit my exhaust this weekend id like to make it shiney again as it has that usual golden appearance that stainless gets after a while. I had a quick go at polishing it with some cheap metal polish i had spare but it doesnt really do anything

it is very fine i use it all the time on my exhaust and its like a mirror. I got it from a detailer (clean and shiny i think......) but you can get it lots of places, just go for the fine grade. Its fine enough to use on furniture etc as well. If you're unsure test on a small patch underneath but honestly i use it all the time.

+1 on Autosol and fine wirewool.

Only recently done Rays K2 exhaust with that.

It had heat discolouration on it and with patience, repeated application and good old fashioned elbow grease it was restored to it's mirror finish.

Ray was impressed.

Once I had the whole thing cleaned with autosol, I applied Meguiars NXT Metal Polish to finish.

Hope this helps

(fine wire wool and Autosol is both available at Halfords)

I always use anusol when cleaning my pipes to get them smooth and shiney...

Always knew you were "special"

Do you mind making your sig a little smaller too? Just change the text sizes on the quote. You take up half the thread on lower res sceens :lol:

got some autosol delivered to me today got to work on the grubby exhaust. I must admit i dont have the patience that some people probably do but after an hour and nearly a whole tube used up i am very pleased with the result

There are some particularly bad spots that required a lot of effort but it does gradually get better and better, i didnt use wire wool though as my supplier didnt have any and i didnt have time to grab some. I merely used a few polishing cloths, which ended up black :blink:

you had it on alloys?! I thought it was caused by extreme heat.....

I was tempted to try wheel acid on it tomorrow....

yea... ermmm... i was thinkin of brake dust etc on wheels... dunno why i was thinkin that was on the exhaust lol musta been tired that night :doh:

I always use anusol when cleaning my pipes to get them smooth and shiney...

Always knew you were "special"

Do you mind making your sig a little smaller too? Just change the text sizes on the quote. You take up half the thread on lower res sceens :lol:

:lol: