350z Race Report from Mr Lizard

MrLizard

I was over the moon with the result, got 2nd in class in both races (out of 6 in class, all of which qualified in front of me), managed to get meself a couple trophies finishing 11th and 8th overall out of 23ish #2

I will post some footage from the other cars if there is any, hoping to get a dv recorder for my birthday so no footage of me yet.

Car performed quite well, suspension needs some work and i need to swap out the vlsd for an lsd at some point, i have some droplinks arriving and i need someone to sort the brakes out...

Had to cut some fairly large holes in the front bumper to help with cooling which looks a mess at the moment but hey ho, r35lee and a LARGE drill had a hand in that, tho he did have a bit of a mad axeman look about him when doing it so i stayed away....

Qualification - well that went badly, i was 2 seconds slower than i was in testing on wednesday, lots of traffic both infront and coming past, a couple of big powered scoobs/evos running 500bhp, so i think nerves were a bit all over, managed to start hitting the braking points correctly (though pulling the front of the car right with heavy braking :( ) got into my groove at about lap 11/12 as you can see from qualy results http://www.tsl-timing.com/brscc/2009/93932.pdf , unfortunately i also ran out of fuel, doing 6mpg tank read empty with 0 miles left, pulled into the pits with only doing about 1/2 mile of cool down at which point my front left pad set on fire, Mark was suggesting this was because of rubber from the wheels sat on the disc, went back out to do another 1/2 mile cool down and pulled back into the paddock. So, thinking ok, ive stuffed qualy but hey ho thats not the end of the world ive got a jerry can i can get more fuel,

Announcer "Please be aware there is now no longer any fuel on circuit"

:rant::angry::rant:

If anyones been to mallory you'll know that the paddock is in the centre of the track, which isnt unusual but what is quite special is there is only a footbridge to the outside, so unless i wanted to join in with the single seater race in a saab 93 we were going to have to wait..

Thanks to MrsLizard, Mark and r35lee for calming me down and just telling me not to worry i somehow forgot about it, evidently im told that it was an absolute pain in the a55 to sort out but i had a completely full tank by race 1!

Race 1 - First race my nerves were shot, waiting for the red light to go out, you'd think that having been in a similar situation with karting all would be fine but no... didnt get a brilliant start as i was giving way to a couple of cars, managed to get the places back whilst always having a very light 250bhp integra in my rear view, after a few laps i started pulling away from the car behind and catching the one in front, managed to make up 7 places in the end however the green teg was still haunting me put a couple of back markers between us but he managed to get past me on the last but one lap, great battle though, shook hands afterwards :thumbs:

Race 2 - This time i start in 11th as i finished 11th in the previous race, my thoughts are obviously i want to jump the teg off the line as he is next to me on the grid, unfortunately a scoob near the front had a problem and started last for some reason, which meant the teg ended up directly infront of me, he put the frog coloured car right infront of me off the line but i managed to squeez past on the inside going into turn 1, also fighting with a mk1 MR2 with 250bhp... which handled like a go kart, still managed to get past him and had the most epic battle with the green teg, fighting both cars infront and constantly changing lines to keep the teg behind me, desperately trying to weigh up taking the racing line or taking a more defensive line forcing him to go the long way round.. I ended up being defensive almost every lap into turn one which meant tarmac covered in little balls of rubber from the single seaters and some sideways action at 80+ mph.. Last but one lap AGAIN my brakes were going off a little i left it too late and was going to risk going very sideways into turn one, the teg took the inside line and managed to grip round the inside taking the position, gutted!! still i managed to get right up his bumper into the esses, he outbraked him self as i had a look up the inside and went wide, the zed was handling really well through the esses 4 wheel drifting into the first part and flat out in third out of it, took a really defensive line into the hairpin pushing the teg right round the outside if he wanted to look and crossed the finish line in 8th

Again with the shaking of hands though i could see he was happy with the fight he wasnt happy with the result ahwell, given a clear track i suspect the teg would have been a few tenths a lap quicker than the zed (in its current form)

Thanks all for the support and especially to Lee (r35Lee) & his mrs, mrs lizard, mark, mike, some of the performance autoworks boys, parents etc etc etc :)

Looking forward to brands assuming i can find a trailor for hire!

Pictures will be posted fairly soon :)

hoping to generate more sponsorship off this and the next outing ready for next year to recoup some cash, have 2 companies confirmed and a third almost there which will be worth about £3500 per season if it comes through, fingers crossed...

sarnie i did get two of these :#2: for the 2nd in class :)

Steve, great driving mate and welldone again :thumbs:

* Lets get that spare kidney of yours sold and get these light carbon doors sorted :thumbs:

Find me the name of that place in america you were talking about re the door m8, im going to put the kidney on ebay, ive got a blunt spoon somewhere... :scare:

This would have been a fantastic result if it was a mid-season outing, to have achieved this first time out in the Zed is brilliant - very well done for car prep and driving :thumbs:

(hopefully the brands race dates are somewhere on the forum ?)

PS. I have a Brian James Minno trailer, but I think it's too small for the Zed.

This would have been a fantastic result if it was a mid-season outing, to have achieved this first time out in the Zed is brilliant - very well done for car prep and driving :thumbs:

(hopefully the brands race dates are somewhere on the forum ?)

PS. I have a Brian James Minno trailer, but I think it's too small for the Zed.

if its for sale let me know, im hopefully swapping the 1 litre toyota aygo for a 2.5 litre nissan x trail this weekend....

Am a bit gutted its taken this long to get out there but wanted to do all the safety stuff properly.

Brands is 24th October :thumbs: